Golf

I was playing around and was looking for golf. This say golf with a power cart burns over 400 cals per hour. I realize that it is better than sitting on the couch but really? Do you actually think I should log 1200 cals burned over my baseline just for driving around the course for 3 hrs? I golf at least once a week and the guys I am with go on carts (I know walking would burn a lot more) so that's what I want to log but I don't want to over estimate the cals burned and go over.
Thoughts?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    I would be surprised if golf burned more than 200 calories for the entire round.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited April 2016
    Are they referring to a power cart in which you ride or a power cart as opposed to one you are pulling?
    At my weight (190) Golf, pulling clubs = 370 cal/hour. golf, using power cart = 301 cals/ hour.
    Walking 3 mph =284 cals/hour.
    Can't see them meaning RIDING as "using a power cart". tha has to be walking but not pulling a cart of your clubs.

BTW, if you're not walking it's just not Golf.
  • psuLemon
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Are they referring to a power cart in which you ride or a power cart as opposed to one you are pulling?
    At my weight (190) Golf, pulling clubs = 370 cal/hour. golf, using power cart = 301 cals/ hour.
    Walking 3 mph =284 cals/hour.
    Can't see them meaning RIDING as "using a power cart". tha has to be walking but not pulling a cart of your clubs.

BTW, if you're not walking it's just not Golf.

Unfortunately, many places (at least around me) restrict walking on busy days. But i generally enjoy walking much more.
  • guppy1697
    guppy1697 Posts: 148 Member
    I often wondered this myself. Earlier this week I went to the driving range and hit a Jumbo bucket of balls. I was there for about an hour. I wear a Fitbit and it tracked this activity. After hitting over 100 golf balls it said I burned 290 calories. I am 27, 5'10'', 175lb and exercise 3-5 times per week. Based on my driving range experience, I would guess a round of golf will burn 200-400 calories.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 431 Member
    I guess if I'm walking 18 holes I might burn 400-500 calories. Lot of resting in that 4 mile walk. I'd be afraid of logging any more than that. My biggest challenge would be at rhe turn.
  • GMAC2016
    GMAC2016 Posts: 249 Member
    Thanks guys. I think you are right, it's walking but not pulling clubs. We are on twilight hours so we take carts to get done as much as we can before dark but I do agree walking is better. I still tried to walk as much as I could without slowing my group down. And I didn't have a beer which took all my willpower.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    I would be surprised if golf burned more than 200 calories for the entire round.

What he said. It isn't a workout, it's an activity. If you carry your clubs with a Fitbit, I'd be interested to know the results though.
  • ameliaharris159
    ameliaharris159 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2020
    I have an office job, and I also play golf on the weekend. All week I work sitting in a chair in front of my laptop and I'm almost motionless. Golf really helps me stay fit. So I'm very grateful that golf is in my life. Also, I play golf in a picturesque place, so it allows me to relax and take a break from a difficult working week. But recently I couldn't resist buying a new electric golf push cart. Therefore, paying attention on your comment, I will have to include another sport in my life to keep myself in shape.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    I frequently count my golfs rounds just as added steps with no separate listing for the round.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    A golf swing is a full body motion, if you do it right. It will burn calories. That being said, I could see calorie burn for a driving range being high. In theory, you're hitting more balls in 30 minutes of driving range than in 3 hours of golf. With a power cart, most courses around me are cart path only, so you are walking to your ball and back. Depending on your shot, the course, etc, that could be a lot of steps.

I'd say hit the range and see how many balls you hit in 30 minutes. Compare the calculators to find one that seems legit to you for the effort you put in. Then put in your round as X time driving range based on your score plus steps.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,428 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Agree I would think a regular pop or a couple of light beers would negate any calorie burn from golf using a cart.
  • yojona9554
    yojona9554 Posts: 1 Member
    Are you sure golf is a good game to burn calories? It seems to me that golf is played mainly for the soul. If you want something to burn your calories, then you should choose a more active sport for yourself. I play golf a lot, but I have never met people who play it in order to burn calories. Mostly these are people who decided to get distracted and just relax a little. More often than not, my friends and I discuss various golf topics while playing golf (as expected, right?). For example, we recently discussed this article https://clubandtee.com/best-golf-driver-for-beginners/. There are better places to talk about life or work. As well as in order to burn calories.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited October 2020
    0 cals for riding in a cart.

Maybe 100 cals swinging a club 100x's in a round of golf over 3 hrs w/5 min breaks bet swings.

BUT easily 1200 cals if you walk a 7200 yd (4 mile) course carrying your own clubs.

Otherwise, there's very little "exercise" involved in playing golf.
  • psuLemon
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    0 cals for riding in a cart.

Maybe 100 cals swinging a club 100x's in a round of golf over 3 hrs w/5 min breaks bet swings.

BUT easily 1200 cals if you walk a 7200 yd (4 mile) course carrying your own clubs.

Otherwise, there's very little "exercise" involved in playing golf.

#truth!!!
  • foxystoat
    foxystoat Posts: 1 Member
    Is there any way to change it from "with power cart"? I always walk but I can't see a way to change the default?