Do people social distance when you go for a jog? ?

Options
Has anyone had issues with social distancing when they go out for a jog ? I’m worried people will not stay 6 feet away.

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I go jogging and there aren't many people out but the few people I do pass are not 6 feet away. But I am passing by them so fast there is no chance I would catch anything.

Most people move to the side anyway
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Occasionally. Although more people are adhering to it now. Had one idiot run through the gap my son and I left between us and some dog walkers earlier today.

I have become quite vocal about social distancing over the last couple of weeks as I really don't need to catch it. Not with two vulnerable people in the house.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I live on a waterfront with dedicated bike and pedestrian lanes. Both are pretty empty these days but, yes, everyone is distancing on the path.

In the regular street with other, non-excercising people? Not so much 🙅🏿‍♀️
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had issues with social distancing when they go out for a jog ? I’m worried people will not stay 6 feet away.

If they don't stay away from you you can stay away from them.

On my run Sunday I didn't see a soul.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I road ride and trail ride on my mountain bike. I've been avoiding most of the multi use paths and trails in Albuquerque, especially those that run along the river through the city as they are usually pretty busy and I'm not going to be surprised at all if the city doesn't close them since people don't seem to be getting the hint.

I've mostly been riding on either one of the two primary roads through our village or along the acequia trails that run through our village. I might see 5 or 6 people in total on an hour long ride. I live in a semi rural village outside of Albuquerque and a lot of social distancing is built into the cake...everyone is on at least one acre of property and total population is around 8,500.

We're pretty much avoiding the city as much as possible, though I do have to cross the village/city line to get to Costco or the regular grocery store.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah people have avoided me like I bite or something, no issues here.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I had trouble last Tuesday and was having to run into the street to avoid some people, but since then people seem to have figured it out better and are social distancing whether walking or running. The biggest issue is kids.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I've been avoiding narrow trails and busy streets. I've been keeping to the residential streets and parks. I have not has a problem with social distancing at all. Walkers, bikers and joggers are aware and watching and keeping their distance. People make an effort to ensure that everyone, including themselves, have the required space. I do my part by making room for others, too. It's not all up to them, I'm part of the equation, too.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    JimDew wrote: »
    They avoided me before this foo-foo started,,,,,

Must be the chainsaw I carry.

"Foo foo" eh? I thought only my Jamaican grandmother used this phrase as an alternative for "crazy" (which is also French which I find another level of odd as she doesn't speak it and perhaps you don't either).

I need your entire lingustic history, if you please. Perhaps we can all get together for a run, chainsaws and all when this is THING is said and done with!

• darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I always make sure to walk across the street whenever I see someone coming.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighbourhood, usually on cycling paths in the evening. If there really is a cyclist I step on the sidewalk, which is empty as well. I do prefer the cycle paths as the surface is smoother and there's no up and down from lowered kerbs and edges when crossing streets (hypermobile ankles)
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Definitely social distancing here... If I jog around pathments and see a couple walking towards me I cross over to other side of road. Dog walkers either move to the side of path or I avoid completely and run on the grass to give plenty of space. Very quiet in my local area and no children to be seen anywhere. 😔
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only idiot still out there. :)

Most people move to the other side of the path I walk down, some pass by me too close for comfort. I have to stick to certain sides of the road/street when walking because of a balance problem but I'll veer off into the street to avoid people if I have to. I'm already used to doing that when I see a dog coming anyway.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    i'm on a treadmill in my outbuilding so i should hope no one is within 6ft of me
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'm in a suburb. My big concession is that I'm not running around my local reservoir, which has an ~8' path around it and lots of people. The advantage has been that I'm running on the grade more, which has been helping my fitness overall.
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just start coughing. Ppl will move away real fast.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm in a suburb. My big concession is that I'm not running around my local reservoir, which has an ~8' path around it and lots of people. The advantage has been that I'm running on the grade more, which has been helping my fitness overall.

I'm lucky that there are, even when things are "normal", very few people using the recreational paths at 6AM but I have noticed quite a few people using them in the early evening and many of them seem oblivious to maintaining anything close to 6 foot spacing. I may just delay bike commuting this year as I don't want to be riding through large numbers of people.

• dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Walkers and runners are using opposite sides of the road here. The bicyclist's tend to move across the double yellow. Luckily, with so little traffic. there is a lot of room on the roads we use :)
  • FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have had no issues with people and I have stuck to the distancing rules as well. I'm very careful because I have asthma but then I only go out for jogging and shopping and thats it. I very rarely see anybody anyway.