C25K Tips?

Options
Hello, I've been lifting weights for 2 years but have been recently looking into running too...not long distance, just 5k at the most. I've added an app to my phone but wondered if anyone had anything they would have liked to have known before they started?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    This will be a bit troublesome right now in these social distancing times, but make sure you've got shoes that are well-suited for running (not walking shoes, not cross-trainers, not old shoes you find in your closet, etc). Ideally, they'd be chosen to work with your particular stride (running stores will observe your gait and provide recommendations), but this might be hard to do right now.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    This will be a bit troublesome right now in these social distancing times, but make sure you've got shoes that are well-suited for running (not walking shoes, not cross-trainers, not old shoes you find in your closet, etc). Ideally, they'd be chosen to work with your particular stride (running stores will observe your gait and provide recommendations), but this might be hard to do right now.

Thank you, I do have some neutrals as I was measured up for some ages ago but they were replaced recently. I live in a town and not a city so there aren't too many around outside right now.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Other than shoes already mentioned, I'd recommend to, 1) take it slow. It's about running for time not speed, and, 2) Make sure you take at least a day off between runs and don't try to over do it.

Lastly, don't be afraid to repeat a day or even a week if you need to. I've done it a few times and have repeated weeks more than once. There's no problem with listening to your body and following your own pace.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Follow the program, don’t jump ahead or do it more frequently than recommended. Run very slowly. Slower than that. Repeat days or weeks if needed. Have fun! You can do it!
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Unless you live somewhere hot you shouldnt need to take water with you for a 5k. I made this mistake early in and kept getting stitch. Keep your core strong and glutes activated with your strength work, will help minimise injury. Take it slow. If you're out of breath, you're going too fast.