HIIT for the less fit and physically challenged

Options
This app is great. I love the blogs. Please, as you create the fitness blogs keep in mind that there are folks who are TRYING to get in shape. There are folks who can’t get down on the floor. This app would be more useful to a large population that is trying to improve their health and have physical limitations if content is created for those with these challenges. Thanks!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    This app is inclusive of people of all sorts of abilities. Try browsing for threads that are more targeted to your needs rather than picking one of the hardest activities out there. Good luck to you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    llstevie wrote: »
    This app is great. I love the blogs. Please, as you create the fitness blogs keep in mind that there are folks who are TRYING to get in shape. There are folks who can’t get down on the floor. This app would be more useful to a large population that is trying to improve their health and have physical limitations if content is created for those with these challenges. Thanks!

The blogs are just random people creating blogs. Also, true HIIT cannot be adapted to people with physical limitations or are out of shape as it is literally an exercise modality to give already high end athletes that extra .01% edge. Fitness is something that is built from the ground up. Also, most people going on about HIIT aren't actually doing HIIT...it's more or less a marketing term at this point.

A good place for most people to start fitness wise is just walking and getting their bodies in motion.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The blogs are just random people creating blogs.
    I think OP might be talking about MFP's official blog (https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/) which currently has an article/video for a 20 minute HIIT workout.

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I am 65 and now have bad feet. I went from super aggressive workouts and teaching cardiokickboxing for 3 years, to having to stop all that, within a few months. I discovered biking and got an indoor stationary bike and took a few spinning classes. Then, 5 years later, I got a Peloton bike a few months ago. Big difference from how hard I was working out.

So, back to the beginning again. Now, after two months of 5 days a week, I’m finally able to be number 15,000 to 24,000 in my online class. I don’t ask them to adapt the class. I do what I can and am grateful for having the ability and health to finally be a “spinning advanced beginner” after 5 years. Hang in there and do what you can. Modify as needed. Good for you for working out, and pat yourself on the back for all that you CAN do.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender on YouTube have a very good range of workouts for all abilities, I'd recommend checking them out
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If it’s too hard for you don’t do it. I hate proper hiit. Pick a different form of exercise
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    HIIT just means high intensity interval training. This means different things to different people. So obviously Tom Brady and Serena Williams have a different expression of “intensity “ than someone without their ability. But a walk around the living room can be just as high intensity as a half mile sprint for someone else or llifting a can of soup can be as intense as lifting a giant stone is for Eddie Hall.
    I think Hiit workouts can be adapted for anyone. I was morbidly obese when I started them. The workouts needed to be “scaled” to accommodate my limitations. I walked as fast as I could instead of ran, did pushups to a wall, squatted about halfway, did stepups to a 5 inch weight plate instead of jumpups to a 24 inch box etc.
    OP - if there is anything specific you wish to “scale” ask and the folks here can help.