Zumba and Coordination

Options
I started Zumba for another form of cardio and perhaps some better coordination in movement. I love the uplifting and motivating music and the steps really aren't that hard but I am still struggling wtih the movements. Please tell me I am not the only one sufferring from doing Zumba with grace. More importantly please tell me it gets better because I do love it but I fear doing it incorrectly is going to limit the cardio benefit or something.

Replies

• cdc1995
    Options
    I am completely un-coordinated, but I figure moving around and sweating is better than sitting on the couch. I think it's just going to take me some time to be able to get the moves down.
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    You are NOT the only one. I have the same problem, lol. I did a free class and found i am EXTREMELY uncoordinated. I can do the lower portion no problem, i can do the upper portion no problem..... but put them together and i look like i'm being electicuted. What's really weird is i can dance like crazy, but if it's coordinated to have legs and arms together, it ain't happening, lmao. I do The Firm Express at home and i'm still having issues gettin the arms and legs to work together, but i ain't giving up. I just keep watchin the same video till i get the hang of it and then on to the next one!! Keep at it, you'll get it!!!
  • val071418
    val071418 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba as well. Although, I make my husband leave, if he happens to be home, when I do it cuz I feel absolutely ridiculous when I dance!! Not the most coordinated person in the world!! LOL I have been doing Zumba Fitness on the Wii for about a week and I feel that as I learn the steps and what is coming next it seems to get a little easier. I keep doing the same routines so I will eventually get it. I can not keep up with the games pace tho, especially as I start to fatigue. Hope it gets easier for you. I keep the thought that I may not be doing it perfect every time, but I AM moving, working, sweating, and have my heart rate elevated. So maybe not get the exact results Zumba can offer but still burning loads of calories cuz I am busting my butt!! Good luck!! Keep up the good work, and stick with the Zumba, it will pay off in the end!
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just work on the feet part first, then add the arm movements and other little extras. It does get easier after you start to memorize the music and the routine. It's worth it, good or bad, just for the insane amount of calories it burns!!
  • SimplySonja
    Options
    I don't do zumba, but a DVD called Brazil Butt LIft and Turbo Jam. They are similar. I love them, but sometimes don't keep up with the moves. If I can't follow the steps I just keep moving. I think you will get the same cardio benefit if you do that. can't do the moves - do jumping jacks, run in place... just move.

enjoy!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    <
    "spastic fat water buffalo in the back of the room"

My description for me trying to do Zumba! But I loved every minute of it, and no one was laughing at me so I guess that was a bonus. In truth, everyone is too busy worrying about themselves to worry about you. Just go and have a great time!
  • MrsPhan11
    MrsPhan11 Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    I started Zumba for another form of cardio and perhaps some better coordination in movement. I love the uplifting and motivating music and the steps really aren't that hard but I am still struggling wtih the movements. Please tell me I am not the only one sufferring from doing Zumba with grace. More importantly please tell me it gets better because I do love it but I fear doing it incorrectly is going to limit the cardio benefit or something.

Trust me it does get easier! I do Zumba a few times a week with different instructors. They usually do the same songs and choreography for a month or two. So you will become alot more comfortable with the steps the more you do it. Remember to have fun and keep moving and don't worry about always getting the steps. The most important thing is to have a good workout and burn calories. My instructor today said "remember this is a party and no two people will do the exact same thing at a party." Lol
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I attended two classes and am fairly sure attending a third one isn't in my immediate future. I, too, am not coordinated. These classes are very popular and both times, the room was filled to capacity. I had difficulty keeping up with the steps. Also, people feel a need to call out which got on my every last nerve. I like my exercise to feel more like traditional exercise and less like a Cinco de Mayo celebration, but that's me, You will probably enjoy it, so try it, you've got nothing to lose.
  • nicoleat1049
    nicoleat1049 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am seriously the least coordinated person I know, and I LOVE Zumba! Most instructors will tell you it takes 5-6 classes to really get the hang of it, which I've found to be true. Don't worry about feeling silly because everyone is usually to busy worrying about their own steps to even notice what you're doing. When in doubt just keep moving and shake your hips :)
  • Hollie55
    Hollie55 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My feet & arms dont move together either. I am unco but it does get easier.
  • overzoelous
    overzoelous Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Every time I do Zumba I'm reminded of how white I am.
    I can do the steps just fine but when Selena and Maria are like "OKAY LETS ADD SOME FLAVOR" I just start jumping around like Im having a seizure because I figure its better than standing there not moving at all.
  • laurenmXD
    laurenmXD Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have no co-ordination whatsoever, i am terrible and everytime i go on zumba i end up doing have the steps wrong and just wiggling my hips lol but i enjoy it soo i think what the hell its fun :D