Do people social distance when you go for a jog? ?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    I walk some, but not run/jog (so what I'm about to say works better for me than it would for people trying to sustain a pace). Most people are distancing well, here.

Usually, I as I approach people coming from the opposite direction, I try to make a clear move that says "I want to stay away from you", like moving to the very edge of the paved trail, or even off the paving if terrain allows, or to the middle or opposite side of the road (if traffic permits, of course). Overtaking happens less often, but if I'm unsure, I'd do what I do on my bike, say "passing wide on your left" (or whatever) when still a few feet back.

Probably obvious, but this is happening on roads/trails where I encounter some people, but it's intermittent, not crowds.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I live out in the country and it's pretty rare to come across another person while I'm out for a walk or run, but when I do we keep our distance. Residents out here seem to be doing a good job of social distancing. I have heard complaints about out-of-towners clogging some of the more popular hiking trails and fishing spots so much that the sheriff has closed the parking lots and CHP is ticketing and towing cars parked on the side of the roads.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had issues with social distancing when they go out for a jog ? I’m worried people will not stay 6 feet away.

If they don't stay away from you you can stay away from them.

Not always possible. I often run on the local middle school track. I run on the right side of the track and that means I'm next to a fence some of the time. If someone is passing me I have nowhere to go to get away from them. Most people are good about staying away but there are a few clueless people out there still.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    So so many people out walking and running atm. Giving everyone a wide berth fortunately. I've taken to reclaiming the road - just running on the road, and moving over to the edge when a car comes by, which is rare. Usually only see a couple at most on my runs.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    dydn11402 wrote: »
    Just start coughing. Ppl will move away real fast.

I do that when I'm getting close to people and see they are not moving over. Works every time!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I go jogging and there aren't many people out but the few people I do pass are not 6 feet away. But I am passing by them so fast there is no chance I would catch anything.

Exactly, the risk of catching anything from momentarily passing a few people outdoors is probably insignificant. It's far more of an issue indoors, where there's less air flow. It's bizarre watching people almost trip over themselves making a huge semicircle around me, as if i'm carrying a bloody axe.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Most people are pretty good but I try to walk close to road so I can step into it if possible. I am sticking to streets in my neighbourhood as walking on paths makes it harder to avoid people.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    dydn11402 wrote: »
    Just start coughing. Ppl will move away real fast.

I do that when I'm getting close to people and see they are not moving over. Works every time!

I like this idea

• yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Not much need here. Nanaimo is a ghost town. I walked to the grocery store today and didn't pass one person going or coming. Thirty minute round trip. Today I went for my run.. 5 mile round trip saw 3 people a couple walking doggie and one single just walking for exercise.
  • indigoblu74
    indigoblu74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I social distance from the activity known as jogging.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Sometimes there was no one around. Other times it was too busy with people hanging out in groups and guys trying to talk to me.

Either way I felt it wasn't worth the risk and decided to do all of my workouts at home/in my backyard. Plus my favorite parks and trails are closed anyway. Even the dog parks are closed.

I do take my pup out for his walks around my neighbourhood and usually there is no one else around. I live in a very quiet area so I'm used to it, but it's very, very quiet now and it's eerie.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    We have been doing the social distancing for 5 weeks here in the Netherlands now. I'd say 90% of people are great. I have had very very few issue, only when we first got to the social distancing. These days we all engage is the corona shuffle to get around each other and there is a positive vibe from all that we need to share the burden
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Not everyone will respect your desire to be socially distanced from them. My sister k8eekins and I have had to turn and run back up trails, go off trails, take street detours, just to maintain ourselves from huge families taking over on the roads or trails, footpaths, out for a stroll ( more than 10-16), think early AM strolls over Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter - 3 or 4 generations of one family walking towards you, strollers & wheelchair bound too or mums in strollers walking groups using the quarantine to drop pregnancy weight gain.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I go jogging and there aren't many people out but the few people I do pass are not 6 feet away. But I am passing by them so fast there is no chance I would catch anything.

Exactly, the risk of catching anything from momentarily passing a few people outdoors is probably insignificant. It's far more of an issue indoors, where there's less air flow. It's bizarre watching people almost trip over themselves making a huge semicircle around me, as if i'm carrying a bloody axe.

I don't think its bizarre that people want to protect themselves and their families. You have no idea what a stranger's situation is or how high-risk they are.

Sorry if I don't take your word for it that there is "probably" no risk by passing people closely outside. I think I'll take the advice of medical experts instead.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I don't think its bizarre that people want to protect themselves and their families. You have no idea what a stranger's situation is or how high-risk they are.

Sorry if I don't take your word for it that there is "probably" no risk by passing people closely outside. I think I'll take the advice of medical experts instead.

The 6 ft. thing is about avoiding the droplets when one coughs or sneezes. You aren't going to catch the virus just breathing the air when you pass someone on a path unless they have it and directly sneeze or cough on you.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

The 6 ft. thing is about avoiding the droplets when one coughs or sneezes. You aren't going to catch the virus just breathing the air when you pass someone on a path unless they have it and directly sneeze or cough on you.

The latest recommendation by the CDC of wearing facial coverings when going outside is based on the latest evidence that it might also be spread through breathing or talking....not just sneezing and coughing. That's why I wouldn't want to pass close to a runner who is breathing heavily.

Given how fast the virus spreads, this would not be surprising. Do you think everyone who got the virus was directly sneezed or coughed on?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/aerosol-coronavirus-spread-white-house-letter/index.html
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Many experiments are being done on how far it can travel with just talking or breathing through your mouth. It travels much farther than you'd think. I've been watching on internet, it's incredible. Wear those masks and stay away from people outside too. If it's still, the virus will travel. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • Khaleesi2012
    Khaleesi2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I live on 28 acres so I've been fortunate to not encounter anyone! But when I was still visiting my mother (right when lockdowns were beginning to happen) we jogged several feet away from others at the local park. About 6 feet or more if possible. Fortunately it wasn't very populated and we left after only one mile. Now that I'm back home I've been able to walk my trails and do 3-6 miles by myself!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Most of the time yes. Most times they will go to the other side of the street when they see someone else coming towards them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

The latest recommendation by the CDC of wearing facial coverings when going outside is based on the latest evidence that it might also be spread through breathing or talking....not just sneezing and coughing. That's why I wouldn't want to pass close to a runner who is breathing heavily.

Given how fast the virus spreads, this would not be surprising. Do you think everyone who got the virus was directly sneezed or coughed on?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/aerosol-coronavirus-spread-white-house-letter/index.html

What we do know is that the primary way the virus is contracted is with direct person to person contact with an infected person...either by being sneezed or coughed on or by shaking hands or having other personal contact.

The second highest rate of contraction is by touching something that an infected person has touched.

I have read plenty about the possibility that it could be aerosolized, but pretty much everything I've read has said that this is most common in a hospital setting. I've yet to see anything about me being outside on my bike and passing one of the maybe 3-5 people I might see going for a walk on my hour long ride being a major risk factor. As a precaution I'm not cycling on any of the busy multi use trails as they are crammed with people and there is a good chance you could come into physical contact with people. Not so much in my neighborhood or local ditch trails.

This is a trail I've been riding a lot lately as it is about .5 miles from my house...

xcorrales.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Pg6ZWwbbPO.jpg

This is one of the roads I can take to get to those ditch trails or just road ride.

picture-uh=86dbc4fe9b22928de4ca94ff5c2c1-ps=dbc81194374bd3f9346c4d69a1bafc.jpg