Here's a question for you...

Options
So I'm watching the History Cannel right now (not the Sci-Fi channel).... Ok, here's my question... Do you believe there is intelligent life on other planets and do you believe they are traveling to our planet (UFO's) ?

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think there's other life out there. Although, if they're visiting us, I don't think they're too smart :)
  • donnalee88
    Options
    I do believe in aliens! I am a believer in everything!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I always like to say "50,000,000" elvis fans can't be wrong.

That's my answer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I love this question!!! The show "Ancient Aliens" (15 hours on Netflix streaming) got me all excited about this possibility!! There are countless TV shows and books about it.

I don't have any reason to NOT believe it......and it definitely is possible, IMO.

Who knows?????????????????
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If there's (supposedly) intelligent life on Earth, why not on other planets? I don't know what I think about the whole visiting thing. There are some awfully weird things that have happened throughout human history - but maybe the ancients really were just far more advanced in their understanding of the world than we are and it somehow all got lost as we "advanced" in other ways. But if there are aliens and they did used to visit us, I think they probably wised up and haven't visited in a while.
  • satch45
    satch45 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I believe whatever that guy with the crazy hair on Ancient Aliens says!!

And because of him I can't stop saying Puma Punku!!

da-ancient-aliens-dey-did-everything-also-puma-punku.jpg
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    The universe is huge, there is almost certainly life of some kind. I doubt that any other complex life forms are close to us for one big reason.
    Earth's Moon.
    Here is what we learned from the Apollo Program Moon Rocks;
    Billions of years ago, Earth didn't have a moon.
    A large, moon type planetoid collided with the early Earth.
    The gravity of the early Earth pulled the heavy metals out of the planetoid including its molton iron core.
    Therefore Earth has an iron core roughly twice as large as anything else in the solar system.
    Therefore Earth has a huge magnetic field that protects us from radiation that would otherwise tear apart our DNA.
    So......
    The odds of another planet having formed that way are very very very small.

Of course their may be some interesting life on some of Jupiter's and Saturn's moons that have large methane oceans. The liquid would also protect from radiation.
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I believe in other beings, hard not to look at the stars and think we are all alone, are they visiting us??? I highly doubt it.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I believe whatever that guy with the crazy hair on Ancient Aliens says!!

And because of him I can't stop saying Puma Punku!!

da-ancient-aliens-dey-did-everything-also-puma-punku.jpg

LOL! LOVE IT!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Maybe, they could also be time travelers from earths future.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    So I'm watching the History Cannel right now (not the Sci-Fi channel).... Ok, here's my question... Do you believe there is intelligent life on other planets and do you believe they are traveling to our planet (UFO's) ?

Sure, why not? The universe is tool old and to expansive to not have other life. The earth and the human race is relatively young compared to the rest of the universe. It stands to reason there's more intelligent life elsewhere.
  • timtamslam
    timtamslam Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    ancient-aliens-invisible-something-meme-generator-not-going-to-say-it-s-aliens-but-it-s-aliens-d41d8c.jpg
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sure, but what's even better LOL is that I am at an age where I dont' really care either way. It may good to be queen, but it is even better to be Nonna (Italian for grandmother for those who don't know)
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    yes and possibly :D
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Here's a better question, why do they always show programs that really have nothing to do with History on History Channel? I mean, if it was about the history of "people exploring for Aliens" okay. But it seems that most of these programs make the assumption that the concept of "aliens" is truth. There's alot of other garbage on History Channel that I find really annoying.
  • livnlite
    Options
    We as homosapiens and (I use the term loosely) .. ummm .. an "intelligent" life form here on this plant have a very limited understanding of reality. We can only comprehend a small portion of what has been discovered or what we can decipher from information that has presented itself to us .. or at least we 'think' we know what's going on in relation to the information given us. We tend to want to rationalize the information we are given .. thus the confusion. Rationalization only works properly when you have all the facts straight. Therefore, we end up with an under developed and juvenile rationale because there is just soooo much we don't know yet.

We have only scratched the surface of understanding the world around us. Gosh, it wasn't even that long ago, man thought the earth was flat, and in order to cure a disease we had to use leach therapy. Geessh! What we knew then doesn't even compare to what we know now .. and in another few hundred years, what we know now pales in comparison to what we will know then.

Even explaining it confuses me.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else find it unsettling that all of these posts about aliens happened way in the past?
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    I think the same reason why there is certainly intelligent life in the universe besides us is the same reason why we will almost certainly never meet or interact with it: the size of the universe.

The universe is so mind-bogglingly large that it's almost a mathematical certainty that there is an abundance of intelligent life out there (read: Drake Equation). However, because of the sheer size of it (we're talking billions of light years just for the observable universe), it's unlikely we'll ever interact with other intelligences. The distance just from our solar system to the nearest star is probably going to turn out to be prohibitive for our species. Panspermia will most likely end up being the only way our species becomes an interstellar civilization.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we're not just talking topological distances here, but temporal ones as well. The universe is ~13.5 billion years old at least, and humans as an intelligence have only existed for the last ~50,000 years or so. Let's do a little math, and we'll be conservative about it:

We'll say the universe is 13 billion years old.
    We'll say that humans have been sentient for 100,000 years.
    13,000,000,000 / 100,000 = 130,000

So there have been roughly 130,000 chunks of time in our universe's history in which human sentience could have evolved. Not only do we have to evolve close enough in terms of spatial distance to another intelligence for communication to be possible, but we have to evolve close enough temporally as well. Entire million-year civilizations could rise and fall throughout the history of the universe, relatively close to each other, and have no idea the others even existed.

Now, for a final thought. Personally, I believe it's likely that any civilization sufficiently advanced enough to create the technology required for interstellar travel will likely be able to create some facsimile of artificial intelligence as well. Since all life is mortal by definition, it may occur to this other civilization (as it most likely will with us) that it makes a lot more sense to send robotic probes out to explore the universe (like the Panspermia I was talking about earlier). Since an advanced enough robot is going to be basically immortal, it seems likely that any encounter we have with an alien intelligence will be a machine intelligence sent out by a species which may have met its end millions years beforehand.
  • TMacKtwenty4
    TMacKtwenty4 Posts: 3,256 Member
    Options
    Wow great theory @OneHundredToLose

I did read an article this morning about the Parracus skulls being DNA tested. The lab was given specimens of hair, bone, and teeth fragments with no information on origin so the testing couldn't be biased.
    The independent lab did find that the DNA did not belong to any flora, fauna, or human on the planet earth.

Other differences in the Parracus skulls and human skulls are overall density, and the fact they only have one parietal plate and humans have two.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm