"Taste of" type event

Options
My wife really wants me to take her to "Taste of Madison" tomorrow. I had considered skipping it this year due to my new outlook on diet, but she really wants to go, we've gone every year for years.
Any really quick wisdom, for a guy who is really a newbie at watching my diet, on things to definitely avoid or try? If anyone really wants to pick and choose for me, here is a link to the vendoes and food at this event. Kind of short notice though, this is tomorrow:
http://www.tasteofmadison.com/?page_id=148

http://www.tasteofmadison.com/

I's assume any veggie item is good, or even a rice dish. Many ethnic foods there I am not familiar with. We will get quite a bit of walking during this, which will help!

Replies

• pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Eat small portions, share with your wife, and avoid the deep fried stuff.

The walking will help, too!

Enjoy your day and don't get too hung up on it.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think you have to let yourself enjoy these sort of events. Try the foods that look best to you, don't eat the whole thing if it doesn't taste as good as it looks.
  • truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm from Wisconsin and was there today! There were lots of bad-for-you options, but I was surprised that there were also many healthy options! One booth was called Fit Fresh Cuisine, and they had turkey burger sliders and pitas that were pretty good. There were also multiple places with fruit and salads. You should definitely go, just look for some of the healthier options! (Although I admit, I split a chocolate chip cookie dough egg roll with my sister. Some things are worth trying!)
  • SimplySonja
    Options
    Try sampling. you don't have to eat a huge portion of anything - just a bite or two and then move on. If I feel like eating bad food - I do one of two things. 1. I eat a small portion to satisfy craving 2. I ask myself if that food is "fuel for my body" Kind of like your car. You wouldn't fill up your gas tank with sugar water or grease - why fill up your body with junk? You can enjoy the event without detailing your diet and progress.

YOU CAN DO IT! I also like to think of the tough workout I did and how easily it is to ruin that progress if I eat fried foods or other junk. It is possible to enjoy in small portions. Food doesn't have to be what gives you pleasure. Enjoy the event for the beautiful weather, the people you meet, the walking you do...

Have fun with your wife and stick to your plan.

Sonja
  • kdelost630
    Options
    I JUST went to Taste of Colorado today in Denver. Honestly, you're walking around a lot and getting the "tastes" really decreases your portions. Drink a lot of water so that you're not starving and tempted to pig out...but I'll admit, I had some fried pickles. As long as you don't go super indulge yourself, I say just have fun. Get some fruit kebobs and try not to worry about calories. :)
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    One day does not a diet kill. Remember, you are eating healthier and watching your calories so when you are fit you can eat just like any other thin person. They go to 'taste of' events and weddings and have other days of excess on occasion and don't sweat it. If you are eating right 90% of the time, the 10% of excess won't do any lasting harm. Enjoy yourself.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Try sampling. you don't have to eat a huge portion of anything - just a bite or two and then move on. If I feel like eating bad food - I do one of two things. 1. I eat a small portion to satisfy craving 2. I ask myself if that food is "fuel for my body" Kind of like your car. You wouldn't fill up your gas tank with sugar water or grease - why fill up your body with junk? You can enjoy the event without detailing your diet and progress.

Sonja
    Love your think ahead attitude!!:love: Very good tips in any circumstance.:flowerforyou:
  • GillyWI
    Options
    Thanks much for all the timely replies. I'll give it a go and report back.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have never been to that restaurant, but here are some eating out tips......Drink a full glass of water as soon as you get there, before you even LOOK at a menu. Avoid stuff that is described as "creamy" or "smothered." Ask the server to box half your meal before she even brings it to the table. This will help with portion control. Eat slowly. Drink lots of water. Share a dessert instead of eating one all to yourself.

Above all, don't worry too much and enjoy yourself. If it's just a once in a while thing, it's not going to derail your healthy train. :)

God bless!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Please do, because I have one of those coming up! I'm thinking I should do that at a mealtime so I get to try different foods from local restaurants, and not add basically an additional meal to my day. Have fun!
  • GillyWI
    Options
    I tried to keep track of everything.
    Chicken skewers, just chicken and has a slightly sweet sauce on it, these were priced for 2 skewers, so my wife and I each had one, didn't seem to "bad" health-wise.
    "Perkedel Jagung", which was a corn fritter with rice and sort of a soy sauce or sweet/sour sauce, sort of an odd, oily sauce, my wife and I shared this,
    Sweet Plantain and roasted garlic empanada. I really like it, came with a sweet/hot sauce which I used a little of. But it was deep fried, hopefully in some "good" oil but deep fried nonetheless, and I wasn't very happy about enjoying it so much, LOL. Again my wife had a few bites of this too.
    Irish nachos, this my wife wanted and I had some, it was potato chips with cheese, bacon, and green onions IIRC, so sort of like normal nachos but potato chips instead of corn chips.
    Same place sold "Irish Grog", which the menuboard said was 5 juices and some sort of "blackcurrant", which I assume is a berry juice? Anyways we both LOVED that. We split one, then later came back and ordered 2 more, one for each of us. It was cheap also, $1 a cup. It wasn't alcoholic, I overheard someone else ask.
    "Kickn' Chicken", which was a small pita very similar to the type of thing I have been making myself for lunch, this was from a place called "Fit Fresh Cuisine", so I assume it was the best thing I ate, again I shared with my wife.
    Eggplant Fries, my wife wanted and ate most of, I had 5 or so of them. Lets see, how can we make eggplant unhealthy? I know! Lets bread it and deepfry it and serve it with a lame sauce! Yeeech.
    For dessert we had "Door County Cherry Pie" alamode. Mmmm, there was an indulgence I didn't mind! Split with my wife.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I tried to keep track of everything.
    Chicken skewers, just chicken and has a slightly sweet sauce on it, these were priced for 2 skewers, so my wife and I each had one, didn't seem to "bad" health-wise.
    "Perkedel Jagung", which was a corn fritter with rice and sort of a soy sauce or sweet/sour sauce, sort of an odd, oily sauce, my wife and I shared this,
    Sweet Plantain and roasted garlic empanada. I really like it, came with a sweet/hot sauce which I used a little of. But it was deep fried, hopefully in some "good" oil but deep fried nonetheless, and I wasn't very happy about enjoying it so much, LOL. Again my wife had a few bites of this too.
    Irish nachos, this my wife wanted and I had some, it was potato chips with cheese, bacon, and green onions IIRC, so sort of like normal nachos but potato chips instead of corn chips.
    Same place sold "Irish Grog", which the menuboard said was 5 juices and some sort of "blackcurrant", which I assume is a berry juice? Anyways we both LOVED that. We split one, then later came back and ordered 2 more, one for each of us. It was cheap also, $1 a cup. It wasn't alcoholic, I overheard someone else ask.
    "Kickn' Chicken", which was a small pita very similar to the type of thing I have been making myself for lunch, this was from a place called "Fit Fresh Cuisine", so I assume it was the best thing I ate, again I shared with my wife.
    Eggplant Fries, my wife wanted and ate most of, I had 5 or so of them. Lets see, how can we make eggplant unhealthy? I know! Lets bread it and deepfry it and serve it with a lame sauce! Yeeech.
    For dessert we had "Door County Cherry Pie" alamode. Mmmm, there was an indulgence I didn't mind! Split with my wife.

Sounds like you tried all sorts of awesome things! I'm glad you went and enjoyed yourself. I'm jealous it all sounds good.

Especially the eggplant fries, ha ha .