Addicted and need support..

Options
Hello everyone. I've never posted in here before but I feel my binging has become a huge problem and I need help, please.
I gained a lot of weight years ago and through a lot of hard work, determination and will power, I managed to lose 4 stone on my own. I kept it up when I reached my goal, fully believing it was a way of life and I would never put weight on again. Fast forward to June 2019, where I left my job and subsequently falling out of that and in to another where I was deeply unhappy, my weight started to pile back on. I'm an emotional eater, I eat when I'm happy, when I'm sad.. I like the comfort of sitting on the sofa, with my favourite treats and watching my favourite thing on TV. It brings me comfort. But it's also brought me the weight. Every day, I tell myself today is the day, I've done it once, I can do it again. But right now with everything else that is going on, it feels like too much effort.. Too much effort to just stop eating the treat foods. I tried having treats in the house to slow myself off of them gradually.. I ate them all within 2 days. Please, can any one help, bring some words of wisdom or tips. I don't want to get fat again but I'm heading in that direction if I don't do something about it now.
Thank you. :)

Replies

• Crystal19892016
    Crystal19892016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's very reassuring to read your reply, knowing I'm not the only one who struggled with food on this way. I used to not have anything bingeworthy in the house, if it isn't there then I can't have it. But when the urge came and I wanted it, it would be a niggle in my mind, no matter how I would try and distract myself, until I went out in the car to a shop to buy what I was craving;normally M&S milk chocolate shortbread roundalls. But low with isolation, I can't just go out. So I ended up buying a surplus of these kinds of foods, there to help me when I do crave, so that I don't limit myself as I find the crave is worse when I stop myself for having something. But this made everything worse.. I ate the 'just incase' treats within a day or so. But you are right, it all comes back down to a very simple way, if it's not in the house, I can't have it. And definitely more water, I certainly don't drink enough. Please let me know how you're getting on in a few days!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I understand you, I'm finding the same since the lockdown it's like everything has paused so it doesn't count. Every day I wake up and plan my meals but by 9pm I've gone over my calories. My worst time is when everyone is in bed and I'm watching tv alone, out come the treats and crisps.
    This weekend I'm going to try (again) to get back on plan, no more late night tv is my starting point.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I recently went on medication to help with my binge eating habit as well as starting counseling specifically for that. There are many reasons why we have these habits and they will never be fixed until we get to the root of the problem. It is not "just a lack of willpower ". This is often a mental health issue. Be mindful of what you might need in addition to learning new healthy eating habits. Good luck to you all. We got this!!!!
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Here's to hoping for next week. Got all the sweets out of the house and thinking of how ugh I feel. Planning on no sweets for the week, more water, exercise once per day and prelogging my food. Told hubby my plan so he can hold me to it. We a will not be beat all!
  • agemini6946
    agemini6946 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I am 52 and have struggled with BED since middle school. Yes the food tastes good, until you eat so much it does not and your body aches from it. For me it's about emotional regulation and my inability to deal with emotions (of any sort) in a healthier way. I exercise and love good nutrition so this disorder seems to go against my beliefs, but I totally get what you're saying that once my mind has decided to eat, that train leaves the station and there's no stopping it. I will eat things most would not even consider "treats", just to calm and numb myself. In many other areas of my life I would appear in control and achieving my goals on some levels, but these issues run deep for my entire adult life.

We have to change our mind set and what we tell ourselves. We have to stop obsessing, ruminating, resenting - whether it's about ourselves or others. This is no easy task and I busted my weekend wide open with my bad habits. I'm drained thinking about it, but it's Monday / fresh start / and here I am.

Wishing you all a good day and week. Thanks for your posts, they make me feel less alone.
  • Crystal19892016
    Crystal19892016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, thank you all so much for your posts and sharing what is going on with you. Its really refreshing to hear that I'm not the only one to suffer with food in this way! And those that have said in their posts about it being a mind set are totally right. If you change the kind set, the rest follows really quickly. But the mind set is the hardest to change. We all know how eating these foods will make us feel but we do it anyway because to not give in and eat them is way harder than just giving in. So every time we have a good day, let's all feel proud of ourselves. And on those days that we do give in to that voice, let's try not to beat ourselves up or feel shame like i did. 💜
  • caseydimples
    caseydimples Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You for sure aren't alone! I really struggle with this too and have my ups and downs. The last two years I've really struggled and gained a ton of weight. I have this terrible mentality that if I 'blow it', I just wait for the following Monday or whatever random day I think I'm going to get back on track. I end up 'blowing it' that day then the cycle starts again. I've started on a health path about a zillion different times. Today was one of those days and right now I'm feeling so good for getting exercise in and making decent eating decisions. Success will be if I can keep this up all week and then repeat.
    Stay strong. I don't have anything magical to tell you but I do believe that slow and steady dedication is key.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I also love sitting on couch, watching tv and snacking. I have found it impossible to eliminate so i just manage it instead. Some things that help me: saving calories for evening treats, finding calorie controlled things to buy at store (1 small bag sour cream n onion popcorn + mars bar + tiny jelly bean bag + a coke zero) and I have to go to store to buy an evening's worth of snacks (don't keep it in house). Finding home made snacks that fit in calorie allotment e.g. blue cheese and Apple, air popped popcorn wth sprinkle flavoring, glass of wine + crackers + jam + blue cheese, freezer cookies that i can bake a few at a time etc. If I buy a too-big bag of anything as an evening snack then I throw half of the bag away when I open it. Intermittent fasting is an option too - shift your eating to later in day so you have more calories at night. Skip 2 meals on a friday to give you more calories for the rest of the week so it all averages out. Go to bed straight after dinner on a Wednesday so you never snack on a Wednesday. Play a smartphone game as you watch tv. Do yoga stretches as you watch tv. Set a timer when you have a craving, for an hour later and promise yourself you can have x then if you still want it. Keeping carbs under 100g per day helps me cut cravings (after 3 days or so). Going for a 45 min walk to earn snack calories. Starting day with a lot of protein seems to cut snack cravings later. Designate a snack night eg friday is potato chip day (and throw out half of bag when you open it). I don't think you have to try and eliminate snacking by white-knuckling it. That's an all-or-nothing approach and if you fail you beat yourself up which doesn't help any. Incorporating your needed treats in a way that doesn't cause you to gain weight might be a more sustainable longterm solution.
  • toningthisyr
    toningthisyr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I, too, have struggled with emotional eating my whole life. I have gained ~60 pounds in the past 18 months, largely due to emotional eating from career dissatisfaction. It is especially bad these days. I don’t have any great advice, I just want to let you know that you’re not alone.