In need of diet help!!

Options
Okay, so I workout all the time. Right now i'm 159 lb, and someday I would like to be 140 lb. The scale hasn't moved, I see changes in my body, I'm slowly getting more toned and stronger. But my problem is my diet. And I know I wont lose any weight if I don't start working on my diet. Sugar is my weakness, and Ice cream is the worst. I love ice cream, and lately I've been craving it all the time because I'm always so stressed. And I've haven't been eating healthy lately. Is there any recommendations on dieting? I need help please. Thanks!

Much Love!
Amber

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    1. Don't buy ice cream! 2. If you get the munchies eat a bunch of raw vegies and drink a big glass of water. 3. If you still MUST have ice cream, get some Skinny Cow or WW product or a frozen greek yogurt bar.
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I had to give up ice cream for awhile. It was tough. Start focusing on eating foods that have some good nurtitional value and not the process man made items. It is hard to stay away from the sweets, I found if I ate Natural Applesauce it helped a lot there. Best of luck to you!
  • Jaded_GRL
    Options
    Try luigis Italian Ice in the small individual cups when a ice cream craving hits. WAY less fat then ice cream but still sweet and cool/refreshing. I was floored when I saw how many calories a milk shake had!!! now on occation when I really want a shake I get a kids size and try to keep in mind how much exercise it would take to burn that lil o shake off.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Try eating more protein which should make you feel more full and may dull the sugar craving. For me, I like something sweet after I eat, even if I'm not hungry. If I have it, I log it, but usually I try to fool myself by drinking a flavored water or brushing my teeth. Great work on your work outs!
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Try luigis Italian Ice in the small individual cups when a ice cream craving hits. WAY less fat then ice cream but still sweet and cool/refreshing. I was floored when I saw how many calories a milk shake had!!! now on occation when I really want a shake I get a kids size and try to keep in mind how much exercise it would take to burn that lil o shake off.

Or how much shaking you have to do to shake it all off. :-)
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself 1/2 of what you'd normally eat. After a few weeks, 1/4. You shouldn't cut out completely what you love just make better portion decision.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so everyone can see what you are eating. It's not so easy then to wolf down 1/2 gallon and put it up on the interwebs.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    1. Don't buy ice cream! 2. If you get the munchies eat a bunch of raw vegies and drink a big glass of water. 3. If you still MUST have ice cream, get some Skinny Cow or WW product or a frozen greek yogurt bar.

Skinny cow ice cream is AMAZING!!!!!! Check out the hungry girl website she has some incredible recipies for "sweets" that are very low in calories.. Ice cream has been my weakness for some reason since i started here (i usually hate it) Thank god for skinny cow :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Guzzle a 20oz diet soda when you have a strong craving.
  • zarozinia
    zarozinia Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Seriously, what's been totally working for my sweet-craving-ice-cream-fix these days has been homemade smoothies. I blend 1/4 cup of 2% greek yogurt, 1/4 cup of 1% milk, a banana, strawberries, blueberries, add a bit of ground flax seed for consistency (and fiber, hehe) and about a tablespoon of honey. I've also added chocolate to the mix, but typically it's just the fruit, yogurt and milk. And it's SO FREAKING GOOD! It also helps me overcome the fact that I don't like eating fruit, but apparently, I love drinking it! Oh, and aside from the fact that it's all really healthy, it's good calories, not bad.

Or, you could even get an ice cream mixer (or heck, a coffee tin with ice in it) and make your own ice cream. That way you will have control of the ingredients and can moderate the sugar/salt/fat intake more closely. Plus, if you make it with the coffee can method, you burn calories! ;)
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I just eat in moderation, and I use portion control.... If I want ice cream, I don't eat a huge bowl, I get one serving, or a half of serving... just enough to curb my craving....
  • guineverantha
    guineverantha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I say let yourself have the ice cream, but measure out 1/2 cup like the serving size says and only let yourself eat that much. And make sure you save enough calories to be able to have that 1/2 cup guilt free. I think 1/2 cup of ice cream is only 170 calories. You can eat it with a baby spoon so it'll last longer.
  • happysongbird
    Options
    I eat ice cream nearly every day and I am losing weight. I've gone from 160 something to 145 right now. It's because I am counting calories AND reduced the average amount of goodies per serving. Its unlikely that I will cut ice cream out of my life, and I know that my "diet" needs to come close to resembling how I will eat after I am done losing weight. Also, it will help to have become very familiar with portion sizes for my normal foods. A few other things come to mind: 1) Make sure you are getting enough rest. It is hardest to resist extra snacks when tired. 2) Find other things to do besides eating. Do you need to write letters? sew? turn on music to sing and dance while doing chores? 3) Try to have your sweets after a meal, when you are satisfied. It will be easier to eat less. 4) Make sure you are spacing your eating throughout the day so that you have some calories left for a little snack if you get particularly hungry. 5) Evaluate the numbers you are using for calories burned and calories eaten. Measure as much as possible. Too much estimating leads to sloppy results. 6) Don't give up. :-) There will be daily up and down fluctuations on the scale. Concentrate on overall trends.
  • supergal73
    Options
    See I never EVER buy a gallon of ice cream home, that is a BAD idea and would be gone in one by just by myself. So I go to the fast food places and get the small things once in a while. Still its a lot of calories for one small ice cream. This week Ive done it twice and I got dibs, I know Im bad. Anyway, thanks for the recommendations.. I'll give em a shot.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so everyone can see what you are eating. It's not so easy then to wolf down 1/2 gallon and put it up on the interwebs.
    I agree. If you knew you would do it. Since you don't know learn. There are many ideas here for weight loss, but there is no argument for being physically fit. Find someone who looks like you want to look and follow their eating habits. If they work out more that you do or care to, then ask their opinion on calorie portion control. I post my new food creations all the time.