Fitbit or Apple Watch

Options
I want to include technology in my journey obviously but I’m unsure of which route.... suggestions?

Replies

• YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Garmin
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Make sure whatever you get comes from a place with a return policy.

I have an Apple Watch which is my preference since I have an iphone. I would rather keep it in the family. I have no experience with a fitbit so I cannot offer a comparison. From what I have been told by other fitbit to AW users the AW is more conservative on step counts.

I will say that my AW is one of my most valuable tools and I would probably feel the same way if I had gone the fitbit route. It provides a benchmark that you can choose to maintain to establish a streak or exceed if you are not happy with your activity level yet. It is a good habit builder if you allow yourself to be gamified. My March challenge was to close all 3 rings for 31 days. I will accomplish it in 4 hours when I have met my 'standing up' goal. I do not have the personality type that would normally care about digital awards/badges but I want to care about them so it helps me.

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    When I first started being attentive to activity, I had a fitbit one which I found motivating & the calories-out data that it gave MFP seemed accurate according to my months of CICO data. I eventually got an apple watch (v 2) - I've been all-in to that platform for decades so getting all my stuff to play nice together is super easy - and I have found it to be motivating and easy to use, and I like the apps that can give me good visual data for cardio (and also track my super-low heart rate - I have it set to alert when I drop below 40 bpm, which it does every day) in addition to other convenient stuff. HOWEVER, apple activity measurement tech hasn't played well with MFP, in terms of porting accurate calories-out information. This seems to be getting better as one or both of those platforms are making some changes on the tech side but I am still noticing that there are glitches. I'm pining for the newest AW but I don't want to spend the $ at the moment (I got the first one basically free when I traded in a bunch of older Apple tech for store credit).
  • twiggy1100
    twiggy1100 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i like my apple watch
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've had both, I prefer the Fitbit.

Apple watch dies after about a year + 1 month or an update.... wifes did the same thing we had Gen1's. Just runs like *kitten* and slows down and stops working all together more or less and Apple won't do *kitten* even though it happens with an update... it's "out of warranty" ... I know the advantage for an Apple watch is that you get to start when you are active and stop it... which is kind of cheating .. like if your fitbit isn't picking up the activity ... was it really a workout?

I have a Fitbit Altra HR or something like that .. it's small and I like it like that. I also had one of the first fitbits ... idk what it was called had no display though.. it worked fine.

The Alta HR is like 1+ years old still works fine.

Just make sure which ever you use you set it up right, allot of times ppl enter different activity lvels and they think they need to eat back all the calories counted.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @Maxxitt brings up a good point. To use an Apple Watch with MFP you need another app called Pacer to sync the two up properly. This seemed like a bad deal at first but I REALLY like the Pacer app so I consider it a good thing now. It has a free version so there is no additional cost but it adds a lot of additional insight, tracking, and additional challenges to add more flavor.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    My Apple Watch is synced up with MFP just fine and I've never heard of the Pacer app. You just need to give it permission to share with MFP and it transfers over all my data seamlessly. Much easier than having to use another app to load in my workouts manually that would then upload into MFP.

I've had my Apple Watch since August and I love it! Got it as a gift and its one of the best gifts I've ever had. I think its a 3rd gen if I remember correct. I highly recommend it if you are looking to add some tech to your lifestyle/workouts.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've had both. I've had the original Apple Watch since it first came out and upgraded to the series 4 last year. I've also had the Fitbit One, Charge, and Versa. I much prefer the Apple Watch only because I'm deep into the ecosystem (I have a lot of Apple products).

I've never had any problems with my Apple Watches dying or lagging or anything, even after updates. I've even swam with the original Apple Watch even though it wasn't officially water proof and I've had no issues. It still works to this day. Same thing with my Fitbits.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    My Apple Watch is synced up with MFP just fine and I've never heard of the Pacer app. You just need to give it permission to share with MFP and it transfers over all my data seamlessly. Much easier than having to use another app to load in my workouts manually that would then upload into MFP.

I've had my Apple Watch since August and I love it! Got it as a gift and its one of the best gifts I've ever had. I think its a 3rd gen if I remember correct. I highly recommend it if you are looking to add some tech to your lifestyle/workouts.

Before the Pacer app when I synced it directly it would only transfer about 15 percent of my earned calories from steps. I didn't care back then because I was exclusively TDEE. Now I am using the NEAT + Exercise system for a time until I either decide I like it better or my activity is consistent enough to return to TDEE. Now my all my "Move Calories" are transferred and it appears to be closer to accurate.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'd buy an Apple Watch 4 or 5 in a minute.... if I was already in the Apple world.

Criteria for me would the accuracy of the heart monitor, durability of a charge (a week please) and interface.

I didn't find my ideal smartwatch yet so I continue to use my trusty Wahoo chest wrap with my cell.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Actually no it doesn't transfer over all data.

You ever looked at that MFP Exercise Diary line that says Apple Adjustment - click on it for more details.

That figure where it shows turned burned for the day as of certain timestamp (that came from Apple) - compare that to what your Apple watch says is the total daily burn so far.
    Not the base sedentary calories, not just the extra activity calories, not the exercise calories - all of them added together.

That's what Apple doesn't send to MFP unless they have corrected in the last 3 weeks.

They send their sedentary burn which happens to match closely with MFP sedentary figure.
    They send workouts.
    They don't send extra daily activity - Move Calories.

The results of this screwup are the more you exercise and have workouts - the more the wrong direction your adjustment goes. And no accounting for daily life.

Or have they actually corrected finally after these many years?
    Screen shots by anyone wanting to prove - MFP app and the details of that Adjustment line, and Apple app showing total daily burned.
  • Muffin_top88
    Muffin_top88 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have used both and I prefer the AW. I found that Fitbit wasn’t accurate on step count. Fitbit community was great tho.
  • briscogun
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

You ever looked at that MFP Exercise Diary line that says Apple Adjustment - click on it for more details.

That figure where it shows turned burned for the day as of certain timestamp (that came from Apple) - compare that to what your Apple watch says is the total daily burn so far.
    Not the base sedentary calories, not just the extra activity calories, not the exercise calories - all of them added together.

That's what Apple doesn't send to MFP unless they have corrected in the last 3 weeks.

They send their sedentary burn which happens to match closely with MFP sedentary figure.
    They send workouts.

The results of this screwup are the more you exercise and have workouts - the more the wrong direction your adjustment goes. And no accounting for daily life.

Screen shots by anyone wanting to prove - MFP app and the details of that Adjustment line, and Apple app showing total daily burned.

I guess since I'm not tracking extra daily activity or move calories its working just fine for me and my needs. I only need it to track my workouts which it does fine for me.
  • heybales
    Options

They send workouts.

I guess since I'm not tracking extra daily activity or move calories its working just fine for me and my needs. I only need it to track my workouts which it does fine for me.

Just be aware then because of the math MFP does with the incorrect figures - your exercise actually decreases your calorie adjustment.
    When you should be eating more because you did more - it'll show eating less when you did more.

So you can't eat to a goal based on what MFP says or it's xxx-backwards.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Garmin - bought an Instinct after Thanksgiving... wat more features than I will ever use, but have been training for a triathlon so the multi activities was a good option (plus I kayak and SUP through the warm months and it tracks that as well, but haven’t used it yet to see what all it does). It is shockproof (I’m a klutz and hard on my limbs), can go in water, and has GPS. Even though it is bigger it is more comfortable for day to day wear than my slimmer, older model FitBit.
  • briscogun
    Options

They send workouts.

Just be aware then because of the math MFP does with the incorrect figures - your exercise actually decreases your calorie adjustment.
    When you should be eating more because you did more - it'll show eating less when you did more.

I'm confused. So you are saying MFP takes the Apple Watch calories burned and it's SUBTRACTING it from my calories for the day (as if I ate something)?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Yes, he is saying that to date, most users who directly integrate their apple watch to mfp have reported buggy integration that ends up in reducing instead of increasing calories under many conditions. Hence the development of workarounds for apple watch total daily energy expenditure calories to transmit correctly.

your mileage may vary, of course... someday MFP will fix this given the perceived higher likelihood of apple watch people being big spenders and more likely to buy subscriptions! (probably breaking the rest of the currently working integrations in the process before eventually fixing them again in a year or three!)
  • heybales
    Options

They send workouts.

I'm confused. So you are saying MFP takes the Apple Watch calories burned and it's SUBTRACTING it from my calories for the day (as if I ate something)?

Here's the math MFP does with every activity tracker that follows the API instructions on what is to be sent.

Device reports daily burn - lets say 2500 at midnight for easy math.
    That daily burn is expected to be total, base, moving, exercise calories all together. TDEE.

Device reported 2500 minus MFP expected say 2000 set to sedentary minus no workouts reported = 500 cal adjustment.

Base Eating goal say 1500 + 500 + no workouts = 2000 new eating goal (500 cal deficit for the day)

Let's say there really was a workout that happened in that 2500 - MFP just didn't know about it, and also increased daily activity above the Sedentary MFP was set for. It's all in the TDEE 2500 and therefore accounted for and MFP properly corrects itself.

Lets say the device does send the workout over though, say 300 (which means 200 was increased activity) and MFP has it listed.

Device 2500 - 2000 MFP - 300 workout = 200 adj

Base Eating goal 1500 + 200 adj + 300 workout = 2000 new eating goal (500 cal deficit).

Apple does NOT send the TDEE though, but they do send the workouts. They send Sedentary burn figure that does not include Move calories above the base.

Apple 2000 - 2000 MFP - 300 workout = neg 300 adj

Base eating goal 1500 - 300 adj + 300 workout = 1500 eating goal (1000 cal deficit)

So the time when you should be eating more because you did more - bigger deficit. Talk about a great way to kill the body improvements from good workouts.
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've used a fitbit charge 2 for several years. It still works perfectly. The only thing I've had to do is replace the bands since they go bad from time to time. But, its an easy fix as you just snap in another one, and I picked up a 3 pack for around $10 on amazon.

To me the 2 big things to consider is the display and apps you will use with your watch. I do hate that my eyes aren't perfect and I can't always read the display on the charge 2, especially in the sun. But, I love the fitbit dashboard app and it would be hard to switch to something else.

An activity watch is a great tool to have, it's my constant companion. It wakes me up in the morning, tracks all of my activities, always knows if I'm on the elliptical or walking or whatever. I find stats to be highly motivating and getting a fitness watch is a great choice in my view.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I started MFP with FitBit....and to be honest, the syncing hiccups always happened at the worst times. The main thing is the use what helps you most.