I'm thinking about running my first 5K

Options
While I was on my break at work (I work at my local gym) I saw a brochure for a 5K thats around Halloween. I've never done a 5K before but I really want to try. So to those who have done them, would you recommend it and how do you prepare?

Replies

• yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about it and just do it! I never thought I could do one and while at the police academy, I did one for charity. I put my iPod on and finished in under 30 minutes. I have yet to do another one but really want to. I have not done it but I hear the C25K program is pretty awesome. Good luck!
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about it and just do it! I never thought I could do one and while at the police academy, I did one for charity. I put my iPod on and finished in under 30 minutes. I have yet to do another one but really want to. I have not done it but I hear the C25K program is pretty awesome. Good luck!

What he said. Just do it. Don't overthink it. It's about 30 minutes of running depending on your pace and you've got over a month to prepare. Now's the time to start!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Just do it.
    Have a look at the C25K program or log onto runner's world, there you can use their free smart coach tool to prepare. It will set out a training plan for you.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Its not that bad. You won't be quick, but who cares.
    If you practice at te gym, make sure the treadmill's incline is set to at least "1".
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a 5km too. I've never run that much in my whole life. So far, what has worked for me is running about 3 times per week so my joints don't hurt and on the off days I focus on low impact stuff, and stretching.
    it's also really helpful to choose a mantra that empowers you. i find as soon as I start thinking about how far it is I stop, it really is a mental challenge as much as a physical one. I'm a bit childish as heart so when it starts feeling hard I sing a song from Finding Nemo "just keep swimming, just keep swimming, what do we do? we swim, swim, swim!" haha! ridiculous I know!
    best of luck to you!
  • HungryMom
    Options
    Do it, do it, do it! I don't know if you are running right now. If not check out C25K. It is a interval training program that starts you running for just like 30 seconds and works you up to running 3 miles in 9-ish weeks. If you have an iPod there are apps that will allow you to play your music with voice prompts of when to run and walk. i would recommend running outside before the race also. The treadmill is SO different. Enjoy! A Halloween 5K would be a lot of fun; I'm a bit jealous.
  • BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Definitely do it!! I love running 5ks! The length isn't overwhelming; like maybe a 10k or above can be. It gives you something to work towards, once you've made the commitment and are officially registered. The excitement of "race day" is so fun!! And the thrill of crossing the finish line is AWESOME!! Even if you have to walk portions of it, it's an amazing feeling of accomplishment!

HAVE FUN!!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it, but I actually ran 5km today!!!!!!!!!!!! I just did't stop!! kept my mind quiet, except for some positive thoughts when needed. my first run was 5 weeks ago and I didn't quite get 1km.
    if I can do it, you can too!!!