OMG Coconut oil!! <3

Options
So I was getting frustrated with my energy levels slipping, and I came across lots of info on the health (and weight loss) benefits of coconut oil (the organic, virgin, unrefined kind). So I decided to buy some today at Whole Foods and I used a tablespoon to cook both my salmon filet and swiss chard. I had dinner about 2 1/2 hours ago - and I would usually be jonesing for my nightly ice cream treat, but I am pleasantly full and suddenly got this BURST of energy. I am currently cleaning my whole apartment - when before all I wanted to do was sleep - and I got very little sleep last night from an allergy attack.

This stuff is amazing! And I've only just begun. I decided that I probably need to have it in the morning because of all this extra energy - hope it won't be difficult getting to sleep :/ I'm currently experimenting making my own granola for the morning using my musseli I was going to put on my yogurt - mixed 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with 1 tsp of honey, 1 tsp of vanilla and poured over 1/2 cup of musseli, sprinkled with cinnamon and mixed and it is currently baking in the oven. (Yes, I think I will be finding lots of little projects to do before the night is over - this energy burst is CRAZY).

If you haven't already gotten on the coconut oil bandwagon, I HIGHLY suggest you try it. I can't attest for it's weight - loss benefits yet, but in terms of energy - I've never felt like this in my life. Definitely something to have in the morning - at least in the beginning. I do need my beauty rest after all.

Go buy this stuff!! ;)

Replies

• fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    gotta try this!
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Every health agency in the world says to use it sparingly because it is high is saturated fats.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Love the coconut oil!
  • Camey44
    Camey44 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion!!! Getting mines tomorrow.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion thanks.
    I have sodium issues, what does the label say for sodium and calories?

Thanks
  • kikislove2
    kikislove2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    will definitely give it a try. keep us posted with new ways you find to use it.
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Every health agency in the world says to use it sparingly because it is high is saturated fats.

I agree. There are many other foods that provide the same benefits without the saturate fat.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • staceyb00
    staceyb00 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you love peaches try this recipe w/coconut oil - It is delicious. I will never bake another peach cobbler again. I halved the recipe and it had only 115 calories per piece (1/8 of a pie)

http://eco-chick.com/2009/08/4262/raw-food-recipe-late-summer-peach-cobbler/
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    True, but they also said that of butter, and people go back and forth about butter all the time. Do a search on MFP and there are people here who swear by it and say it actually improved their cholesterol. For someone with low thyroid action or symptoms akin to it: low energy, cold all the time, low body temperature, dull and brittle hair, dry skin, etc - this addition (yes, in moderation) can get your thyroid working correctly so you actually metabolize fat like a normal person. In terms of energy, I feel like I have awoken from a 100 year sleep. So far so good....
  • olivia3263
    Options
    If you love peaches try this recipe w/coconut oil - It is delicious. I will never bake another peach cobbler again. I halved the recipe and it had only 115 calories per piece (1/8 of a pie)

http://eco-chick.com/2009/08/4262/raw-food-recipe-late-summer-peach-cobbler/

YUM I will have to try :) My granola is done - soooo good. Can't wait to have it tomorrow after my run :)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    it is VERY yummy! Also, another benefit of coconut oil is that it is anti-fungal, so it helps with yeast overgrowth in the gut, and for those who prefer a yeast-free diet.

blessings.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Don't be so quick to write off coconut oil because of the saturated fat.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html
  • maorilover
    Options
    I swear by the stuff. Honestly google about the saturated fat as it's a good fat. I have 1 table spoon 3 times a day. Love the stuff, I have had some skin issues and it is clearing up beautifully. Not like the stupid creams from the docs. Please make sure that it is virgin coldpressd coconut oil, as the above has said. It even helps curb sugar cravings as well. Im going to try the fermented stuff as it's really high in the lauric acid.
  • olivia3263
    Options
    Great suggestion thanks.
    I have sodium issues, what does the label say for sodium and calories?

Thanks

Sodium: 0 mg
    Calories: 120 - for 1 tablespoon - same as Olive Oil

I actually found it because I was thinking I might be iodine deficient because I have been eating little to no salt, and have been eating a lot of raw broccoli and cauliflower (which are goitrogenic and prevent iodine absorption in the body) - this was suggested for people with sluggish thyroids, which can be caused by an iodine deficiency. Interesting stuff - but this change was immediate and amazing.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

The health agencies are WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is natural, just as animal fats and saturated fats are not unhealthy. Much more healthy than vegetable oils such as soy, corn or canola oils.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    True, but they also said that of butter, and people go back and forth about butter all the time. Do a search on MFP and there are people here who swear by it and say it actually improved their cholesterol. For someone with low thyroid action or symptoms akin to it: low energy, cold all the time, low body temperature, dull and brittle hair, dry skin, etc - this addition (yes, in moderation) can get your thyroid working correctly so you actually metabolize fat like a normal person. In terms of energy, I feel like I have awoken from a 100 year sleep. So far so good....

Exactly!!!

Check out my blog on coconut products:

http://primal-lioness.blogspot.com
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

The health agencies are WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is natural, just as animal fats and saturated fats are not unhealthy. Much more healthy than vegetable oils such as soy, corn or canola oils.

Agreed! ps love your signature!
  • dihar2
    dihar2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is the best oil as well as evoo.. Coconut oil is medium chain not long or short. You must do your own research and when you do it will be a staple in your home.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Check out my blog on coconut products:

http://primal-lioness.blogspot.com
    Great info in your blog, so glad you shared it with us! Way more than I could ever begin to know about Coconut Milk/Water. Is one better for a person than the other? What purpose does one serve over the other? I'm sorry if this is covered in your blog, I skimmed it rather quickly and was excited to see all the helpful info. Will go back later and read it more thoroughly.

Also do you have a separate blog that covers other topics you've shared on here in the past? Such as dry brushing etc.? TIA:happy:

:flowerforyou:
    I swear by the stuff. Honestly google about the saturated fat as it's a good fat. I have 1 table spoon 3 times a day. Love the stuff, I have had some skin issues and it is clearing up beautifully. Not like the stupid creams from the docs. Please make sure that it is virgin coldpressd coconut oil, as the above has said. It even helps curb sugar cravings as well. Im going to try the fermented stuff as it's really high in the lauric acid.
    Thanks for the info, looking forward to doing more research on the topic and trying it out!:drinker: