I Don't Know What I am Doing Wrong

Options
Hello,

I am a 19 year old, 5'2 female. I have been eating 1200 calories and running 3 miles 6 days a week for the past three weeks and I have only lost 2 pounds (in the first week). I am feeling very discouraged. I have been obsessively reading article after article about people with similar experiences, but most of the replies are like "are you really eating that amount?" ect. I'm not sure how to give people access to my diary, but I will if I need to because I want to prove that I track everything, down to the butter I use to cook my eggs. I measure and weigh everything. I really am giving it my all. I am a very disciplined person, so I really don't mind giving it my all and sticking to this diet, but I want to see results. I just don't know why I am not losing the weight. I don't think my clothes are any looser and I don't look any different. I am 130 pounds and I would like to be 125 just to look more slim and toned. For my height this is not an unrealistic goal, but no matter what I cannot get passed the 130s. The only thing that I can think of that is preventing me from my goal is that I am on birth control. I have not experienced any weight gain with it, but I heard it can make weight loss more difficult? Does this mean I am destined to not losing weight? Is there anything I can do? Please help!

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Probably the best thing you can do is open up your diary and go from there. If your logging is accurate there are other possibilities that could slow your weight loss.

But at your size a 2lb a week weight loss is very aggressive. More than likely you're losing faster than is sustainable in the long-term. You'd probably be much better off setting your weight loss goal down to around half a pound per week.

There is a reason that MFP sets minimum calorie goals, and it's in the interest of long-term health and sustainability.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    To open your diary, go to Settings -> Diary Settings -> Diary Sharing -> and tap on "Public".

How did you choose 1200 calories? When you plug in your stats to MFP and set your activity level, how many calories does it tell you to eat? How many pounds a week did you set it to lose? Is this running an activity you have always done or is it new?

Pretty much, we need more info to get an idea. Lets start with your diary and go from there. If you have just started running, you could easily be retaining water as your muscles repair themselves from the effects of new activity.
  • BethanyMemola
    BethanyMemola Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I just opened my diary to the public. Thanks! As for the running, it is a new thing I started 3 weeks ago when quarantine began so I could get some fresh air, so you're right, I probably am retaining some water. I hadn't thought of that because I don't really know how it works. As for the 1200 calories, I always heard that that was the lowest you could eat and not starve yourself so I assumed that would make me lose weight the quickest. I just went in the myfitnesspal settings and changed my activity levels to "mostly active" and it gave me a goal of 1340 calories so maybe I should follow that and up my calories a little? Thanks for your reply.
  • Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You need to up ya calories!! Eat lots of fresh veggies and fruits. You may be building muscles!! That weighs more than fat!! Maybe stop using the scale so much to determine your victories!! Measure your waist and arms and legs and see what happens in a week!! 130 could be a good number and you could still lose inches and tone things at that number!! Salt can bloat carbonated drinks can bloat!! Make sure to weigh ya self after a run that's when the best numbers happen for me 😜😜keep at it!!!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Just at a glance, it seems you are a bit low on protein and kind of heavy on convenience foods.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I wish someone would have told me that just losing weight wasn’t the way to look fit and trim. Being fit and lifting weights gives that look. I highly encourage doing body measurements if you are exercising. For example, my waist is an inch smaller even though the scale hasn’t budged. I am going through recomposition; I am getting rid of fat and gaining muscle at the same time.
  • smhughes6578
    smhughes6578 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Is there someone here who understands calories - needed vs earned - so that I'm not setting myself up by not eating enough?

I am not sure if I completely understand calories needed in relation to calories burned.

Every day, I go into my Fitness Pal account (I tell them how much I weigh and what my weight loss goal is; then log in daily and log my food and exercise).

The Food journal says that my total calorie goal for the day is 1,200; when I add cardio exercises it tells me how many calories I’ve burned, which changes the number of calories “goal” for the day.

For example: today I start out with 1,200 calories. As I logged the cardio exercises I’ve done, it says “[I’ve] earned 269 extra calories from exercise today”. Bringing the “Daily Goal” for calories up to 1,469… if I only eat 1,125 calories, will that cause my body to hold onto the weight because I still have 344 calories remaining?

Or am I supposed to eat 1,469 calories to make up for the calories burned? (Trying to lose 35lbs).

Thank you so much for your help.
    Sarah
  • asochable
    asochable Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed so you are supposed to eat your exercise calories. So yes, eat around 1459 today.

I find it helpful to look at your average calories over the past 7 days. Do this at the end of the day (and after you’ve already been tracking 7 days) to see if you are hitting your net goal for the week. Weight loss isn’t about a single day but rather long term trends.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Run 5 miles 2 to 3 days a week. Go a. little harder then rest. Do you do any strength training? If no, start. If you have lifted before then breakout the dumbbells. If not google calisthenics and Pilates and start strengthening your core. 5 lbs will burn off pretty quick with 1200 calories a day while including strength training. Muscle burns calories.
  • Daveybaseball
    Daveybaseball Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In order to loose weight u have to take in less calories then u burn in a typical day. I read on average to loose a pound a week u have to have 500 calorie deficit a day so 3500 defecit a week. Eaasiest way to loose weight is calories in vs. calories out. Keep track of how much u exercise and your calories and that will help.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Davey she is already at 1200 daily. That's pretty low. Sometimes too much cardio can hamper your gains.
  • Daveybaseball
    Daveybaseball Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    KHMcG fair point! Lifting weights can definitely help with toning and getting in shape as well. When I lost weight I did a combination of cardio and dumbbell exercises. I lost 52 pounds last summer and then gained 7-8 last month which I have lost since. I do a combination of dumbbell weight exercises and body weight exercises mixed with some cardio at the end. My friend who is personal trainer recommended to me to do weights and not just cardio as its more of a full body workout that way and you get more out of it.