Masks for running during covid19

Options
Help! What is the best mask to use while running, and where can we get them? I have someone making me courting ones, but I doubt they will "stay on nicely" while running.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I don't like them, either. A big wad of sweaty cotton on your face! I'm hoping there won't be a local ordinance that requires them. I have routes that are quite unpopulated.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I can hardly breathe for the first mile of any run, and I cough for hours, if not an entire day, after I run. I've never had it checked out but its been an occurrence my whole life and I recently came to the conclusion that it may be exercise induced asthma.
    I cannot imagine trying to run with something over my face. Not to mention how much I sweat and how often I have to blow snot rockets. (Yes, I've been mindful of others. I've only been doing it in intersections or in the ditch when I need to, where I can be sure children won't be touching the ground, playing with chalk on sidewalks, etc.)
    Good luck to you if you find something that works.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

What cities are mandating that they be worn just going out your front door? Just generally curious as I've heard of no mandates...and mandate would seem like big news to me. I've only heard it recommended to wear them when going out and doing your shopping and whatnot when you're obviously going to be in closer contact with others. Our governor isn't recommending to just wear them anywhere outside of the house, only if you're shopping or having to go to work, etc and continues to recommend that families get out on walks and whatnot, but to avoid doing so where you're likely to encounter large numbers of people. There has been no mention here of wearing a mask just being outside in general.
    San Diego.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The approaches to the use of masks seems to differ greatly from country to country.
    If someone does decide to wear one then sensible to learn why to use it, how to use and how to dispose of it.

Here's the WHO advice.....
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Common masks filters out 95% of all particulates .30 microns and larger. Sounds great, right? Yes, it does, until you consider the size of a typical coronavirus which is from .12 microns down to .004 microns. In other words, the virus can very easily pass right through the mask like its not even there.

But masks can filter out the respiratory droplets that the viruses are found on. The WHO says the virus is "primarily transmitted between people through respiratory droplets and contact routes." (source)
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Surgical masks and N95 masks should be reserved for health care personnel. They’re running out of masks. Please.

You can easily make a mask that's equivalent to N95 masks using a vacuum bag. Plenty of tutorials are on Youtube. Choose one with bendable metal over the nose, for a better seal. If possible, use an HEPA vacuum bag. :+1:
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    @swirlybee San Diego's "If you leave your place, cover your face" statement and #stayhomesd is not a mandate (which, in this context, is an official or legal order and possibly what @cwolfman13 meant) but a public awareness campaign. Furthermore, they've asked that residents "plan physical activities that can be done while at home."

So the conversation about running with a mask (medical or non-medical) is moot, at least as recommended by San Diego officials, at this time. Are there cities or other locations mandating masks for outdoor activities despite maintaining social distance? Perhaps, but I only live in my city and did 5 min of research for San Diego which happened to be mentioned.

Folks, let us let clear heads, your local reality and currently available evidence-based science prevail. We all want to stay healthy, ensure our loved ones stay healthy and return to normal lives sooner rather than later. @sijomial's WHO link is a great place to start, but also check in with your local municipality (as well as your healthcare team, if needed).

Again, I hope the OP and everyone else finds the best way to stay physically and emotionally healthy during these trying times.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    why do you need a mask if you are running outside? (which I'm assuming you are)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

What cities are mandating that they be worn just going out your front door? Just generally curious as I've heard of no mandates...and mandate would seem like big news to me. I've only heard it recommended to wear them when going out and doing your shopping and whatnot when you're obviously going to be in closer contact with others. Our governor isn't recommending to just wear them anywhere outside of the house, only if you're shopping or having to go to work, etc and continues to recommend that families get out on walks and whatnot, but to avoid doing so where you're likely to encounter large numbers of people. There has been no mention here of wearing a mask just being outside in general.
    San Diego.

Los Angeles and Ventura counties just last week.

And on the federal level:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/what-dr-fauci-wants-you-to-know-about-face-masks-and-staying-home-as-virus-spreads

"Americans should wear face masks as a way to help stifle the spread of COVID-19, said Dr. Anthony Fauci, one of the nation’s top doctors leading the public health fight against the coronavirus pandemic — a departure from previous government guidance to only wear a mask if you were caring for someone with the illness or had it yourself.

“If everybody does that, we’re each protecting each other,” Fauci said in an interview with PBS NewsHour anchor and managing editor Judy Woodruff. His comments came shortly before President Donald Trump’s coronavirus task force shared national recommendations for people to wear non-medical face masks. The task force did not recommend the use of surgical or medical grade face masks, which are in short supply for hospitals and front line health care workers."
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    why do you need a mask if you are running outside? (which I'm assuming you are)

It's not about running, it's about being outside and meeting others.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Mayor Garcetti recommended masks in a video address last week and pushed it to socials, and Ventura county put it on their social media with a catchy rhyme. I didn't make it up or misunderstand. I chose the wrong word in "mandate" but the escalation of measures is a result of people not taking any of the stages of care seriously. If people choose to not exercise caution and infection and death rates continue to increase, things will get even more strict and the kind of things we are being asked to be sensible about and do voluntarily will start being legislated and enforced. I'm certainly not paranoid enough to be recommending OP wears a mask if he goes for a run where he meets nobody. Hang it about your neck and pull it up when you need it while continuing to socially distance and follow all other in place recommendations.