No Scale. No Problem?

Options
pardenme
pardenme Posts: 3 Member
So, I'm just starting out on my weight loss journey, and realized that I don't have a bathroom scale to check my weight. Part of me feels like I shouldn't get one just because I don't want to fixate on the numbers. I'd rather just go based on how I look/feel. On the other hand, it would be helpful to track my numbers so I can see what works for me and what doesn't.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,141 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do this without my scale. Sure, it jumps up and down and sometimes 'refuses to budge' but I couldn't rely just on how my measurements evolve or how my clothes fit, my weight loss rate is too slow for that. And my daily weigh-ins show me how accurate my activity tracker is (I love data, I've made my own spreadsheets to track my deficit over a longer period of time etc).

You can combine a scale with other indicators of your progress.
    In the end, you have to find what works for you :smile:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    More important is a digital food scale so you can log food accurately. Weigh and measure everything you eat and drink so you can stay within your daily goal. And, yes, a bathroom scale is helpful, but if you don't have one you can take your measurements weekly and keep a journal. That will tell you if you're losing.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    You could lose weight without a scale, and take measurements as an indicator of progress. But in light of your post, if you think you would fixate on numbers, wouldn't that also apply to measurements?

I used a scale for my body weight, but never used one for my food. I cook enough that I could eyeball reasonably well just based on the portion size of that food. But others have a hard time with this method.

As pointed out above though, modify whatever you want to find what works for you. If you put in the effort and adjust where you need, you can make it work.
  • Nat97x
    Nat97x Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I personally find bathroom scale to be quite important when losing weight. I only check it weekly, as weight fluctuates more than you'd think on daily basis and it used to freak me out but weekly weigh ins were a bit more steady.

You need to find what works for you - even if it's just monthly weight checks, at least you know for sure if you are losing any weight or not.

I've known people who tried to judge their weight by the size of clothes they wore and they would panic if they didn't go down in size in x amount of time.
  • saynow111
    saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    pardenme wrote: »
    So, I'm just starting out on my weight loss journey, and realized that I don't have a bathroom scale to check my weight. Part of me feels like I shouldn't get one just because I don't want to fixate on the numbers. I'd rather just go based on how I look/feel. On the other hand, it would be helpful to track my numbers so I can see what works for me and what doesn't.

Thoughts?

I think you better measure ur waist size it is too better than 1 kg up and 1 kg down
    But u can follow numbers of ur weight from time go time it is inevitable
  • ecrispi
    ecrispi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to have a scale and now I won’t get one. I go by how I look, rather than a number. I found that seeing a jump up on the scale (even if maybe just water/bloating or whatever) would make me feel bad about myself and be discouraging even though I had no reason to. I also found that even at the weight I wanted to be I would think come on, we can do one more pound. And one more. Which became unhealthy (I was underweight anyway). But this is largely because I get very competitive with myself. Now I look in the mirror and see what I want and I don’t have to care about the number and it’s given me a much better attitude about all of it :)
  • steveonumber7
    steveonumber7 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you can actually live without scales, that would be amazing...
    They not only end up ruling your life, but will also set your mood for the day, to the point that if you don't see a change, you will do something silly like cut more calories from an already low deficit.
    use the mirror, use daily or weekly 'selfies' to access your progress.
    Good luck.
  • atcomperatore
    atcomperatore Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a scale. Every time I am not impressed by the number I come down on myself. For quite a while, I did without. I went from size 28W to size 20W now. Pound wise that was 348 to 304. Today, I took my weight, and am up to 308 . 4 pounds yikes! In a week! But my clothes are looser! What gives? Right?
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Skip the scale. IMO.. I tend to go up n down several pounds, up to 5 lbs within a day or two. In the past it would change my mood, I would get obsessed with the number.

Track your food, exercise and water along with successes. Weight loss happens with a calorie deficit and good habits. A tight dress or jeans plus daily photos can also help.

Good luck!