low carb success?

Options
I have started a low carb diet. This is day 3. Will it get easier? I need a h
jumpstart on weight loss.

Replies

• lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Can we see your diary? I am in NC too....I am on a somewhat low carb diet but not real low......change your diary settings....
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of people do great and lose their cravings after a while.

I personally was starving all the time (have stuck with it for 2 weeks on two separate occasions. One time adkins, one time southbeach) and both times I was miserable all day all the time. It never got better, and i didn't lose weight.
  • jmsladky
    Options
    Ok. I will look into that, Thanks.
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    if you have a lot to loose then low carb is not the way forward.....it does get easier but you will be miserable and moody and your energy levels won't be high....eat a moderate portion of all your macros and work out and you will feel great and will be more motivated in your journey..

gd luck

:)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    This is the only type of diet that works for me.... but I have PCOS (insulin resistance) so carbs = sugar = bad for me.

That said, there are tons of different low carb diets -- are you doing extreme, ketosis inducing low carb?
    Or just eating mostly healthy carbs? (like quinoa, whole grains, greek yogurt etc) and not things like white bread and french fries?

I changed my settings to 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat and it works for me.
    (this means normally 80-100g carbs, 90-150g protein so its not extreme)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I have started a low carb diet. This is day 3. Will it get easier? I need a h
    jumpstart on weight loss.
    I hear the worst of it is the early days - 1st week. A bit like the withdrawal phase because our bodies are doing a type of detox from all the junk we've eaten in the past.

Above the message box here you'll see the search button if you click that and type in low carb you'll likely find a couple groups that are doing low carb and having great success. I don't have the links but I know there are a number of threads that members have been on for quite some time. It'd definitely help you to have support from those that can share what to expect as you lower your carbs.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i've been on low carb for 2 weeks, and i have MORE energy than i did before. usually your body will go into ketosis in i think 2-3 days? and after that it gets a lot easier. but everyone's different- if you're absolutely miserable after a couple of weeks, you might want to experiment with how many carbs you're taking in, or even look for another option :)
  • lcoreo5
    lcoreo5 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    you really shouldnt try a "diet" i did a low carb diet before and when i stopped, all the weight came piling back on and then some. the best option is to eat a healthy balanced diet. that way you learn to eat right and you will never be off a "diet" good luck with whatever you try! :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    i've been on low carb for 2 weeks, and i have MORE energy than i did before. usually your body will go into ketosis in i think 2-3 days? and after that it gets a lot easier. but everyone's different- if you're absolutely miserable after a couple of weeks, you might want to experiment with how many carbs you're taking in, or even look for another option :)
    How many carbs do you take in daily if you don't mind my curiosity?:flowerforyou: I'm always trying to work on lowering them and eating the healthier ones.

Any tips or groups you're involved with on MFP currently regarding this topic? (this could be a question for anyone actually)

TIA:drinker:
    This is the only type of diet that works for me.... but I have PCOS (insulin resistance) so carbs = sugar = bad for me.

That said, there are tons of different low carb diets -- are you doing extreme, ketosis inducing low carb?
    Or just eating mostly healthy carbs? (like quinoa, whole grains, greek yogurt etc) and not things like white bread and french fries?

I changed my settings to 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat and it works for me.
    (this means normally 80-100g carbs, 90-150g protein so its not extreme)
    ETA: Awesome LOSS Hon!:love: Good job at all the hard work:drinker: Thanks for the tips that have worked for you.:heart:
  • leftymae5454
    Options
    what an awesome weigh loss, did you do it by following a low carb diet!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    you really shouldnt try a "diet" i did a low carb diet before and when i stopped, all the weight came piling back on and then some. the best option is to eat a healthy balanced diet. that way you learn to eat right and you will never be off a "diet" good luck with whatever you try! :)
    I think what some look to do is lower their carb intake not 'diet' low or no carb for long term. For some with certain illnesses or other reasons this can work. I'm NOT advocating no carb/low carb for long term unless you check in with the doc and know that it's something you need to do for your health.

I'm sharing this simply because I know at times other members will jump on a thread like this and think of the word DIET when they hear 'low carb'. Eating low carb doesn't necessarily mean someone is looking to diet. Of course there are some exceptions, though those aren't the members I'm talking about here. :flowerforyou:

Your advice is very helpful though for those thinking of using it as a 'diet' to drop weight quickly as it will come back on when we try and drop weight far too fast.
  • jmsladky
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just can't seem to get the scale to move lately. As you can see in my profile, I haven't lost a pound, maybe a few here and there. IT is harder the closer to 40 I get!!! I just started Zumba classes today. I am not sure if I low carb is for me, but I do know that when I look at my summary on MFP, my sugar was always in the red!! I am trying to cut out refined carbs! Yall are so inspiring!! Thanks!!
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    How many carbs do you take in daily if you don't mind my curiosity?:flowerforyou: I'm always trying to work on lowering them and eating the healthier ones.

Any tips or groups you're involved with on MFP currently regarding this topic? (this could be a question for anyone actually)

i try to keep it under about 25 :) i think my staples are probably cottage cheese, eggs, and almonds- cottage cheese and almonds both have a decent amount of carbs (4-5), but they're also 2 of my favorite foods so it's pretty easy to work them in.

i'm not involved in any groups D: BUT i know there's an atkins support group, so i'm sure there are some around!
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    I did the 2 weeks induction thing awhile back and while tough, it wasn't that bad. I was missing my morning oatmeal, though.

Hard to change habits though. I especially get use to certain things for snacks and have to readjust. Kind of loosely following Southbeach, as I liked how moderate it was. Pretty much lesser carbs and good carbs after the two weeks.

The only thing I consistently fail on is my love of ice cream/frozen yogurt... sigh... but I keep it as low cal / carb as I can get.

I DO find I can be eating the same calories and my weight loss consistently stalls when I'm eating higher carbs. So trying to meet that lower, good carbs goal is definitely worth it for me. That's only been for the last 20 lbs. The first - er - 91? it didn't seem to matter as much.

If you're not rotating your calories (varying the target amounts day to day) try that too. I think that's been helping me as well. I'd gotten very much into a routine when I stalled - same calories, same foods. Switching things up has helped.
  • Samhally
    Options
    I'm on a low carb, low cal plan (medifast) and so is my husband. It has worked great for us. He has lost 62 lbs In just under 3 months and I've lost 40lbs. It keeps my carbs between 80-85 and honestly I don't miss carbs at all, but yes the first few days are the hardest. If you can get past them and stay consistent to stay In ketosis, then you should be good!
  • lcoreo5
    lcoreo5 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I'm sharing this simply because I know at times other members will jump on a thread like this and think of the word DIET when they hear 'low carb'. Eating low carb doesn't necessarily mean someone is looking to diet. Of course there are some exceptions, though those aren't the members I'm talking about here. :flowerforyou:

Your advice is very helpful though for those thinking of using it as a 'diet' to drop weight quickly as it will come back on when we try and drop weight far too fast.

well stated. :) just speaking from personal experience from the "diet" aspect. :)
  • hhan
    hhan Posts: 74
    Options
    It does get easier and it has certainly worked for me. When I stopped losing and later stopped the low carb/ketosis routine I didn't add any weight for the couple of months I was off the routine, other than about 4 lbs which I attribute to water retention. As soon as started a more varied lower carb regime that water weight came off within 24 hours.

Good luck with it, and don't let all the anti-low carb nay-sayers get you down. There are perfectly legimate and nutritious lower carb plans out there.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    3 months in and so far so good!!! Sometimes I crave but not often.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been doing paleo since April and its working out good for me.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    LC was really hard for me for about 2 weeks and it's gotten so much easier since then. I've done LC (and loads of exercise) since late April and it's the first time in my life I've ever felt like something was truly going to be a new way of life and not just a diet.

Hang in there! (whatever you decide to do!)