Advice please: Issue with left shin after exercise

Options
travlinjess
travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
edited April 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all. Hoping for some advice....words of wisdom...whatever.

It's my second time around, needing to lose approx. 60 pounds. Several years ago, I was very fit and active, so I had experienced a variety of minor injuries related to sport and exercise.

But now, I am having an issue I have not yet encountered. After doing a workout that has even just a few jumping / plyometric moves, I get this weird numbing sensation in my LEFT shin (front/anterior).

This actually started at the beginning of my weightloss, after just one or two short TurboJam workouts, which I thought was strange. SO, I decided to do only low-impact moves until I lost some of the weight and increased my fitness level.

Here I am now, 20lbs lighter and fitter, and I want to do more intense workouts. I recently did one with 3-4 jumping moves, and here is this numbness in my left shin again. Always my left shin...never my right shin. And it's not exactly painful, just numb and slightly uncomfortable, but definitely annoying and not something I care to worsen.

I don't think it is shin splints, as I am not a runner and I doubt 3-4 jumping moves could be considered as 'repeated overuse'...but what do I know? FYI- I have already tried changing my shoes.

So, I am debating on whether to push through and do the exercise I want to do, with hopes that the muscles strengthen. Or if I should stick to low impact, and try plyo moves intermittently, until the numbness fails to reappear.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't have experience with this particular injury, so my advice is to see a doctor to make sure you are not injuring yourself.... And I'll throw in a bonus personal observation: When I have odd body parts (especially lower extremities) go numb, a visit to my chiropractor for a quick evaluation and adjustment usually helps.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Have you tried stretching the area? I used to get shin pain but once I started stretching and eating more protein and using a magnesium spray it went away.
  • travlinjess
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Have you tried stretching the area? I used to get shin pain but once I started stretching and eating more protein and using a magnesium spray it went away.

Honestly, no I haven't done much stretching, outside of my normal cool down. I do take calcium and magnesium supplements, and I get plenty of protein. So nutrition-wise, I am good.

I find it odd that this is happening on only one side, so perhaps I should take the advice to see a chiropractor...at some stage.
  • ssorg9
    ssorg9 Posts: 30 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    My experience with a nagging leg injury is to ice it before bed for 20 minutes and immediately wrap it while I sleep. Sometimes I keep it wrapped throughout the day. I've done this for as long as a week. I am a runner and this seems to work for me.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doctor instead of enlisting advice from random internet folks.

That being said, numbness would seem like either a blood flow issue or nerve issue, right? Let a doctor take a look first before even seeing a chiropractor.

Good luck!
  • ecrispi
    ecrispi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This isn’t helpful at all but, strange overlap. I’ve always been an athlete but for some reason during just one of the workouts I do (that also involves jumping etc) my middle toe on my left foot goes completely numb. It’s even very visibly pale white compared to the rest of my foot. I just ignore it, but it is weird
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    How long does the numbness last after you exercise? That can give clues.

Check your foot arches on a hard surface and see if the left is flatter than the right.
  • travlinjess
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    How long does the numbness last after you exercise? That can give clues.

Check your foot arches on a hard surface and see if the left is flatter than the right.

The numbness usually appears the morning after the workout, and it lasts maybe 2-3 days max, without me doing anything (no icing, stretching, medication, etc). I simply avoid jumping for awhile, as I correlate the jumping with the 'injury'.

But I will check my arches, thanks for the tip. :)

• travlinjess
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    I'd see a doctor instead of enlisting advice from random internet folks.

That being said, numbness would seem like either a blood flow issue or nerve issue, right? Let a doctor take a look first before even seeing a chiropractor.

Good luck!

Thanks. Yeah, I would agree that signs are pointing to a pinched nerve. Which makes sense as I have had sciatica on my left side, when walking around at a heavier weight. I don't have it now, but this could be connected to the numbness in my left shin.

For now, I am referring to the info in this article:
    https://www.livestrong.com/article/382115-is-it-okay-to-exercise-with-a-pinched-nerve/

TO ADD:
    I do know the danger in self diagnosis, but it is not exactly the ideal time to seek medical assistance, unless necessary. So I will take it easy on the plyo moves and see a doctor when it's suitable.

Thanks to all for the advice/input.