How to ignore negative people ?

Options
Hello,

I use Instagram as a source of social media to post workouts.

I post home workouts because of the lockdown.

99% is good. I was getting laughed at today at work because some of the staff follow me on ig. They were laughing and mocking my videos. It was really upsetting.

I suffer with learning disabilities and other body dismorphia issues. People can be so inventive.

I only post to motivate me and others. I have gotten positive feedback from others who tell me that I inspire them.

Why do negative people exist. Why cant people not unite in times like this?

Replies

• AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone is doing well in these times as we all need to stay positive and stay active.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Some people don't like to see others succeeding. It's sad. Heaven forbid someone thy to better themselves seems to be what lots of those types if people think. Many will say they're jealous I really think they just don't want someone else to succeed

You can always block them on IG...just tell them you're no longer posting and open a new account?

Personally I would just shrug my shoulders at them and walk away

I agree 100%, I am never negative towards anyone.

They think it is banter but for me it was not.
  • steveonumber7
    steveonumber7 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try this for 2 weeks,
    Remove social media from your life,
    Eventually if you are strong enough, just like when quiting smoking or any other addictive habbit, you will find that you no longer need 'likes' or strangers to tell you that you look good etc.
    Be true to yourself, be yourself, love yourself.
    Good luck.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Bc people are buttnuggets, I’m sorry honey! You just do you and make weird gesture back at them it’s what I do at work and we all laugh I don’t get offended bc no time for negative nellies in my world! And I be loud bc people don’t like it and it gets them to leave me be like are you ok? No you are annoying the crap out of me Stephen. And I walk off it’s ok they think I’m weird anymore!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    @AsrarHussain How to ignore them? Like Nike, just do it. Personally, I tend to address Negative Nellies, I find them mildly entertaining and, if I have the time, I'm open to giving their opinion a chance for a few minutes (assuming it is based in fact instead of opinion, feelings, conjecture, etc).

Sending you hugs and good vibes for your fitness journey! Focus on the 99%, my friend!

• AsrarHussain
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    @AsrarHussain How to ignore them? Like Nike, just do it. Personally, I tend to address Negative Nellies, I find them mildly entertaining and, if I have the time, I'm open to giving their opinion a chance for a few minutes (assuming it is based in fact instead of opinion, feelings, conjecture, etc).

Sending you hugs and good vibes for your fitness journey! Focus on the 99%, my friend!

Thank you and good vibes back to you.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Try this for 2 weeks,
    Remove social media from your life,
    Eventually if you are strong enough, just like when quiting smoking or any other addictive habbit, you will find that you no longer need 'likes' or strangers to tell you that you look good etc.
    Be true to yourself, be yourself, love yourself.
    Good luck.

That is a good suggestion. No social media for 2 weeks.

I will try that starting tomorrow, thanks
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I used to have people making fun of me, and then I started asking why they found it so funny. And then I asked why they were bringing it up. And why this and why that, and the more questions I asked the more they ran out of answers and realized that they were not being very nice, and it stopped immediately. Maybe this can work for you, too?
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    I used to have people making fun of me, and then I started asking why they found it so funny. And then I asked why they were bringing it up. And why this and why that, and the more questions I asked the more they ran out of answers and realized that they were not being very nice, and it stopped immediately. Maybe this can work for you, too?

That is a good option. I simply chose to block them and remove them from my follower list