Low carbs high fat

Options
I’ve joined to track the carbs I eat. I’m trying to aim for 20g a day, but never managed that yet. My average is still around 100g a day 😞.
Still, I’ve lost 4.5 lbs in 5 days and I couldn’t be more delighted.
Anyone else on a low carb journey?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jingle40 wrote: »
    I’ve joined to track the carbs I eat. I’m trying to aim for 20g a day, but never managed that yet. My average is still around 100g a day 😞.

I fluctuate between keto and low carb. Ultimately, i eat for enjoyment within a specific calorie range.

Good job on the weight loss. Keep in mind, some of that will be water weight.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I hope you do realize MOST of those lbs lost are from water weight. Calories are the only thing that matter when losing weight. If you think you can sustain with a low carb lifestyle, then go for it. I eat 250-350 Carbs a day and do just fine on that.
  • Harris_2018
    Harris_2018 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What’s the average carb intake if you don’t work out? I’ve been told 50g min of carbs should be consumed but then again I’ve also been told that’s not sustainable ? Anyone doing keto ?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Maybe sticking at around the 100-gram mark for carbs might be the best plan forward for you unless you have a medical condition requiring you to go lower. Doing something that you find too restrictive is not sustainable for long term success.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Forget counting carbs, count your overall calorie intake and maintain a deficit to lose weight. Restricting your carbs to such a low level is not necessary. You should not be losing more than 2lbs a week on average , this is a healthy rate of loss.
  • Sdelellis83
    Sdelellis83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don’t count calories!!! Eat low carb whole food with some intermittent fasting. There is no such thing as essential carbs. Just eat good low carb unprocessed food to satiety. I have been doing this for over 16 months have lost over 120lbs and get blood tests every few months and I am metabolically healthier that I have ever been. Do yourself a favour and read the obesity code by dr Jason fung and listen to the low carb md podcast. Hope this helps.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Remember to subtract fiber from that to get your net carbs! That’s how much carbs you actually ate.some days I struggle some days I hit the 60s

• jingle40
    jingle40 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For everyone who says it’s not the carbs, it’s the calories that make you lose the weight, you’re right, but the carbs influence the insulin response in the body, so you don’t feel hungry all the time, hence why you can stay within your calorie limit.
    I’ve stayed on low carbs for 6 days and lost 2.8kg (6.5 lbs). Most of it will be water, but who cares. I’ll cary on the same way and see where it takes me.
    I’d like to lose 24lbs in the end.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Honestly everyone's satiety is different..

Nothing makes me feel any more full then anything else, lol

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    For everyone who says it’s not the carbs, it’s the calories that make you lose the weight, you’re right, but the carbs influence the insulin response in the body, so you don’t feel hungry all the time, hence why you can stay within your calorie limit.
    I’ve stayed on low carbs for 6 days and lost 2.8kg (6.5 lbs). Most of it will be water, but who cares. I’ll cary on the same way and see where it takes me.

For me it is not "carbs" per se at all, but the type of foods.

I've never had such a high percentage of carbs in my life as when I was in Costa Rico, living on rice & beans, tropical fruit, and veggies. I had mangoes and bananas several times a day, every day. Never-the-less, I found this filling, effortlessly and unconsciously created a calorie deficit, and dropped a size without even trying.

However, foods made from flour, like bread and pasta, I don't find filling at all, and can eat and eat and eat them.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

Carbs don't make me hungry. This is relevant for some individuals, but not for others.

I can think of very few things that are as filling and long-lasting as potato. Whether it's hash browns for breakfast or stuffed potatoes or green-chile potato chowder for dinner, I can eat a smaller than fist sized potato and be good for hours. Fat just makes me queasy and gives me heartburn. Which I guess creates a calorie deficit, but not a good one...
  • jingle40
    jingle40 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001, the difference is between naturally grown food and agriculture. Our wheat and grains in generally have been modified to produce a high yield, which diminished their nutritional value.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

In all reality, both fat and protein have an insulin response but its at different levels. Also keep in mind that you can gain weight just as easy on a ketogenic diet as you can on a high carb diet. If anything, the biggest exception when it comes to overfeeding is protein. Protein overfeeding generally doesn't lead to weight gain.

The larger thing with low carb and ketogenic diets, is they do tend to supress hunger naturally. Often the combination of proteins and fats will naturally satiate a higher percentage of people. It's one of the reasons you see higher weight loss in low carb studies.

Ultimately, a person should focus on whole, minimally processed foods, which can include whole grain breads (these tend to have higher fiber). When taking this approach, its generally harder to overeat as compared to ultra processed sweets, sugary drinks, or snack foods.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001, the difference is between naturally grown food and agriculture. Our wheat and grains in generally have been modified to produce a high yield, which diminished their nutritional value.

The foods she mentioned (rice and beans, fruit, and vegetables) are produced by agriculture though.