Share a simple recipes that contains fish?

Options
Jonjon60
Jonjon60 Posts: 17 Member
A recipe that quick and easy with not a lot of ingredients,

I love salmon!

Replies

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Pan-seared salmon with teriyaki sauce (you can pretty much substitute any firm fish with any sauce)

Here's the basic directions for pan searing salmon. Basically pan frying the fish for approx 3-4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the fish. Make sure to add salt and pepper before pan frying. Works well with tilapia, bass, etc.

Teriyaki is basically 2 parts sake, 2 parts mirin, 2 parts soy sauce, and 1 part sugar. Or you can buy ready-made teriyaki sauce.

Other sauces that work well with fish is red pepper sauce. Here is Gordon Ramsay's recipe which I've simplified by skipping the star anise and vermouth, so it's just basically red bell pepper, onions sauteed until soft, then pureed with fresh basil and salt and pepper.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    My mom's Chinese contact fried fish.

Finely dice a cubic inch of fresh ginger and a large handful of spring onions. Cook fish (fillets or whole fish is fine) in a serving dish with a lip in the microwave until just opaque or use a thermometer to internal temperature of 63C. Sprinkle over the ginger and green onion. Add a few large glugs of soy, a generous pinch of sugar, a drizzle lemon or vinegar, a dash of something alcoholic such as sake, rice wine, white wine, dry sherry or vermouth. Bring the fish to the table. In a small saucepan heat up a quarter cup of vegetable oil very hot. You should smell it just start to smoke. Carefully pour the hot oil all over the herbs to blend the flavours. There will be a lot of dramatic sizzling noises.
  • HamptonsGuy
    HamptonsGuy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Salmon, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, salt pepper. Marinate as long as you want, or not. Bake 425 about 15 20 minutes depending on how you like it cooked. That’s about medium rare. Easy simple delicious
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Salmon, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, salt pepper. Marinate as long as you want, or not. Bake 425 about 15 20 minutes depending on how you like it cooked. That’s about medium rare. Easy simple delicious

This sounds good! How much olive oil do you use for the marinade and could you do this with Cod?
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I have simple fish meals about 4 times per week. The recipes above are ok. Some hints: Salmon is calorie dense compared to the others. I have it at least once a week. Shrimp is the most economical highest protein choice. Toss it over high heat in a skillet with red pepper flakes and a little butter (.25 tbsp) just till opaque.

Cod gives off a lot of water. You can pan sear it but it doesn't work well. Save cod for ginger and scallions and toasted sesame oil (7 grams per serving). Cover and steam.

Halibut is dynamite pan seared in butter (.5 tbsp) with a little oil mixed in.

All can be served with Oyster Sauce. I buy Panda.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,579 Member
    Options
    This is outstanding, I used to make salmon with lemon and Penzey's Foxpoint (garlic, shallots, green peppercorns) and loved it that way but I'm going to be making it this way for now on, I'll probably use extra siracha next time though, https://www.skinnytaste.com/maple-soy-glazed-salmon/
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Sour cream dill and lemon juice dredge in this then bake
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I buy whole fresh fish, cleaned and scaled. I like a medium smallish fish, one for each person. I heat the oven until hot. Put the fish in an oven proof pan lined generously with parchment paper. I arrange the fish so that they aren't touching, or put a strip of parchment paper between them. I add about half a cup of water and gather up the corners of the paper and staple loosely so the fish are partly covered. Put in the oven around 30 min.

I usually do at least 3, with 1, 20 min might do it. I use fish that have their own fat--gilthead or sea bass, so I don't add oil. I serve each one on a plate and everyone cleans their own and adds whatever sauce they want. I always have a small jar of lemon juice w salt, pepper and a little garlic mixed in on the table.
  • privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Lay fresh spinach in the bottom of baking dish. Place fish on top. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, fav seasoning (I use a cilantro lime dry seasoning I found at Sam’s), possibly lemon juice and a teaspoon of oil. Broil until white and flaky. I use mostly trout (that my dad has caught), but will buy tilapia or other white fish when in a pinch. My teenage son wants to try salmon on the grill. He is teaching himself to cook everything he likes on the grill.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    EZ peel frozen shrimp is $6.70 per lb. at Sams here. One of the highest sources of protein/calorie to be found in real food.
  • nationalvillage3215
    nationalvillage3215 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Low Country Boil - Popular here in the South. You just boil everything in the same pot. In a large pot, fill half way with water with a packet of crab boil and bring to a boil. Throw in desired amount of small red potatoes and boil until almost done, throw in shucked corn on the cob (cut in half) and bring to a boil, cook until corn is hot. Throw in desired amount of peeled and deveined shrimp. Boil until shrimp is pink. Remove from heat, drain and put everything on a large platter or serving plate. Sprinkle everything with cajun seasoning. If calories allow, cut up large, low fat sausage such as Keilbasa, about half an inch. Cook along with potatoes. I also use some spray butter and fat free sour cream when eating potatoes.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    Perfect pan fried sea bass fillets

Ensure fish is very dry. I lay a piece of paper towel over some newspaper place fish on it, add another paper towel and fold over the newspaper then weigh the whole thing down with a cutting board for 20 minutes while I am making rice or potatoes and vegetable sides. The fish only takes 4 minutes so can be done afterwards, while everything else is kept warm on low heat.

Score the skin in three places which helps fillets stay flat and season with salt and pepper. Heat up a little olive oil in a non stick frying pan to medium. Fry skin side down for 3 minutes using your spatula to keep the fish flat so that the skin makes good contact with the pan. Turn over and pan fry another minute skin side up. Serve with lemon wedges.

c3bga0j2nz4y.jpeg