Couldn't find a calisthenics thread so I'm creating one

Options
What types of calisthenics workouts are you doing? Equipment? No equipment?

Currently I'm using the "Thenx" app for workouts based on calisthenics.
Would like to find others also doing calisthenics too for motivation, tips and accountability.

Feel free to add me!

Replies

• Richymac29
    Richymac29 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Since working from home I just made myself a new bodyweight only routine. I do 30 mountain climber, 15 squats, 10 press ups, 10 burpees, 10 dips and then plank to fail. 3 sets. 2 weeks in and feeling great.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @mom23mangos - I am super jealous of your stall bar set up. I wish I had some of those.

My routine is all over the place at the moment. I usually go a gymnastic strength training gym which is focused bodyweight/calisthenics but they are shut down at the moment. They are running daily programs via instagram/zoom but I can't get into it. I need to try harder I guess as they are are solid programs involving rings, handstands and flexibility.

I have so many other programs to choose from I can't commit. I have GMB programs for Elements, Vitamin , focused Flexibility and Integral Straighten but haven't gotten into it as much as I should. It is one of the few online programs I have actually paid for

I have been doing a lot of Tom Merrick you-tube tutorials because one of my goals this year was to get a flat pancake and I found the way he does thing complementary to what taught at my normal gym. Ihave his Trybe app which is pretty good as well.

Other programs i have but can't work out if I want to try and reddits recommended routine from the bodyweight subreddit and also recently got set a free e-book from Al Kalvadlo which has an appealling bodyweight strength training program. So many choices and I can't commit or focus especially as my routine got tossed out the window.

At the moment my routine is yoga in the AM, A ballet or dance based workout in my work from home lunch break and just a little handstand practice in the evening. My gymanstic rings are hung on my blacony which is were I currently work so once an hour I go out a grease the groove with a couple of chins and skin the cats then go back to work.

Sorry for the brain dump - just trying to figure out a new fitness regime in these strange times :)
  • LJRS2019
    LJRS2019 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What would be you advice to someone who wanted to get into calisthenics?
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    LJRS2019 wrote: »
    What would be you advice to someone who wanted to get into calisthenics?

Start with working on basics so you have good foundations. Most calisthenics have progressions so once you find something easy you can move on to something harder eg https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/do-a-pull-up/

Find a program that appeals to you and stick with it for a while. There are lots of good programs out there that are free at the moment like Reddit's recommended routine if you want to see if you like it before committing to a paid program

Sometimes it can get frustrating as some calisthenics movements are very skill based so you don't get the same tangible wins that you might if lifting weights where you can see the numbers going up over time. But be patience and persistent and you will get results, improved ability to move with ease and be able to some cool tricks like handstands, planches and human flags.

• LJRS2019
    LJRS2019 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • sainchris42
    sainchris42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am using the Jefit app because it has many exercises with equipment and without. I have a program and I am following it and the equipment I use are 2 dumbbell 5kg each, 2 dumbbell 2kg each as well as a bag full of books (12kg). In my opinion it's a great alternative for me since gyms are closed.
  • IAmShaddyShad
    IAmShaddyShad Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How are you liking the Thenx app? I’ve been using GMB because a gym buddy gave me a copy of the Foundations 1&2 + Handstand. I’ve also run their parallette program.

At home I have rings and some homemade parallettes and Swedish Stall Bars. I just made the stall bars at the start of the Stay at Home directive.

yg0gims148iu.jpeg

I love the Thenx app. A lot of different workouts to try along with various programs.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    @mom23mangos I recall you were starting Gorgeous Glutes? If so, how do you like it - assuming you’re still doing it? Almost finished Gluteal Goddess.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I do calisthenics several times per week. I usually get inspiration from circuits here: darebee.com/workouts.html and from the trainers I follow on Youtube. Then I create my own routine.

Love it and my progress!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    @mom23mangos I recall you were starting Gorgeous Glutes? If so, how do you like it - assuming you’re still doing it? Almost finished Gluteal Goddess.

I actually liked it. I haven’t been doing it since quarantine, but I definitely felt it in my Glutes after the workouts and I had always included at least one glute exercise on lower body day. I do think I saw some improvement in shape as well.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I like calisthenics, when I get tired of weights I switch to a bodyweight program and then back again. These are both great websites with full body workouts and progressions.

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html?m=1

https://reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/w/kb/recommended_routine?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    hello! I have the body by you program that I want to start following. Looking forward to is. My weight set isn't set up right now so this will be a good thing for a while.