Calling All Coffee Lovers/Addicts!

Options
I propose a strike. Yes I know, you're all gasping and wondering what on earth you would do without your coffee/espresso. Well, here's the thing...

My story goes like this: I drink espresso a LOT. Not to wake up, just because it tastes good. I spend money and calories on 2 16oz drinks almost every day during the school week. Its not so much that I want to stop drinking coffee completely, but I've got to get a handle on this. My budget and my food diary demand it.

So, I propose a one-week trial coffee strike starting Monday September 5th. Who's with me?? We can chat on here and keep each other motivated. I know this is gonna be hard for me, but it has to happen. I need to know that I can say no to it.

Join me! :))

Replies

• jp09m
    jp09m Posts: 89
    Options
    90% of all americans are addicted to caffeien and only33% of those people actually realize theyre addicted...

GOOD LUCK lol
  • raybabe622
    Options
    I am up to this challenge. I am a college student and don' t allows get the sleep I would like. Coffee is one of the biggest things I drink at work.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Sorry. You're on your own, sister! :tongue:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    90% of all americans are addicted to caffeien and only33% of those people actually realize theyre addicted...

GOOD LUCK lol

I am addicted to it AND I know it.

That being said, sorry... but for the well being of the people in my life ... I'm not giving up my coffee OR my caffeine. But, more power and best wishes to those who are willing to try! :)
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Wow, kudos to you for setting this goal. I hope you succeed.

I can't give up coffee. I have a Keurig and had to cut down from 6 cups/day to 3 and refuse to go any lower. My favorite use of coffee is having it to settle a craving for something sweet, late at night (i have decaf at that time, of course).
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Good luck to whoever joins you. I dont drink coffee. But im sure its hard to cut out.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Great idea.

Sorry I can't possibly function without coffee. you might consider doing it gradually, depending on how addicted you are. I gave it up before but it took me 2 weeks of mixing decaf with the regular.

Prepare for a killer headache. and you will need extra sleep. Just saying....
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I do drink coffee, but just coffee with a little sugar in it....sometimes just black. I started drinking it regularly about 3 months ago. I have no interest, nor room in my calorie diary, for Cappuccino, Latte, Espresso, Mocha, iced coffees or any of that junk.

Good luck in your quest, though. :wink:
  • charlibets
    charlibets Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Do you hate puppies too? ;-) j/k

But seriously, I've gone off coffee occasionally and it felt great and helped me to reduce overall even when I started back. But be warned, if you are used to a daily caffeine boost from coffee, you will have withdrawal - for me it was extreme headache, and I don't usually ever get headaches...but that lasted like one day, then it was all good. good luck to you.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I haven't had coffee in 3 weeks for the summer break since I'm sleeping 8-9 hours a day. Will start when uni starts in a week.

You can get a good budget burr grinder & a french press. It makes some great black coffee :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    bump!
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Good for you on doing this sort of a challenge. Unfortunately, coffee is something I am not willing to give up at this point. That being said, I have cut back on coffee in the past two months and that to me was good enough. Coffee intake is not a big worry of mine at this point.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am a certified coffee addict. I recently traded my coffee for chai tea (homemade, not the high cal, high dollar starbucks stuff) and it is going well, so far :)
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    No thanks! But I did cut back to only ONE 10oz cup in the morning. :) I used to be a 3 or 4 cup per day person too. I don't drink soda or anything else that has caffeine in it ever, so now, if I drink even a half cup more than my 1, I feel really sensitive to it! All jittery and high strung. :) Good luck to you though. One cup per day is actually beneficial!
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    Mmmm. No. I drink it black with no sugar so it doesn't really effect my diary. I usually have one cup in the morning and I don't buy it at Starbucks (ripoff!) unless they are only thing around (when travelling). you should look YNAB if you are serious about budgeting.

Good Luck!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Sorry. You're on your own, sister! :tongue:
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I so agree...I love the taste of coffee especially the ones from Africa. Yum yum...yes addicted but becasue the taste not just the jolt...I don't want to give it up. oooooo and in the winter add a dash of Bailey's!!!!!! yummo! slurpping on...sorry not giving up.
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You can take my coffee when you pry it out of my cold dead hands. ; )

Seriously though, I hear you, and I've switched to ordering mostly short lattes. Those 16 oz milk drinks are a major drain on the calorie budget.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I haven't had coffee in 3 weeks for the summer break since I'm sleeping 8-9 hours a day. Will start when uni starts in a week.

You can get a good budget burr grinder & a french press. It makes some great black coffee :)

LOL, I don't think that's the advice the OP is looking for but I always wanted to try french press coffee. How long does it take to make?
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options

LOL, I don't think that's the advice the OP is looking for but I always wanted to try french press coffee. How long does it take to make?
    haha he mentioned budgets issues so I figured why not propose a budget solution :P
    People typically brew about 4 minutes french press. It has so much more taste/aroma than drip coffee. I haven't had espresso yet so maybe they're worth the hundreds of dollars splurge? lol
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options

GOOD LUCK lol

I am addicted to it AND I know it.

That being said, sorry... but for the well being of the people in my life ... I'm not giving up my coffee OR my caffeine. But, more power and best wishes to those who are willing to try! :)

What she said!