Quarantine (trying to make it fun, keep fit and loose weight)

Options
kamaniwase
kamaniwase Posts: 11 Member
anyone on a beginner cardio for weight loss and a non complex diet plan

Replies

• mattntl13
    mattntl13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i do couch to 5k and dont do anything to strict. shooting you a friend request
  • unyquescorpion
    unyquescorpion Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do walking and swimming
  • alexz623
    alexz623 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Set your calories to your activity level, log in everything you eat and stay within the calorie count. Walking is a good exercise if you are just beginning. If you have limited space run in place while watching tv. Any movement helps and when you enter it, you are allowed more calories. Make it fun
  • jaedamvinson
    jaedamvinson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

My intention is to use my living room as a station to exercise. All I have is resistance bands and 3 kettle bells that are 5 lbs., 10 lbs., and 15 lbs. I intend to purchase a folding chair, exercise block or stepper, and rope. I think that I need to start small and to use my body weight to encourage weight/fat loss. I intend to start with a goal of 15 minutes of exercise and ending when my body tells me to. I will pace myself and at other times I will implore tabata. In addition, my diet will consist of making conscious decisions about my intake. Am I really hungry vs. thirst. And knowing when to stop eating. I will also speak acclamations to myself in the mirror and work on changing my mindset about myself. I'm not fully quarantined as I have to work, but what I can do at work, I will do.

You guys stay safe out there.

Jaeda Vinson,
  • pugstookmyvibe
    pugstookmyvibe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve been walking my dog 5 miles a day. It’s a good calorie burner and tones your lower body.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    Some good beginner workout videos are Leslie Sansone's walking videos on You Tube. I've been doing various ones, Body Project has a lot of great cardio workouts from beginners to advanced. Fitness Blender and PopSugar are good resources as well. There's a ton of fun dance videos, I've done ones lately from Bollywood to Afro-beat and belly dancing. This guy is a lot of fun, I love his Alejandro dance video (took about 6 times to get it down!) and this is a warm up dance one: https://youtu.be/4L5cdskEiA4
  • kamaniwase
    Options
    Thank you guyssss
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,383 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @kamaniwase , @jaedamvinson

The best kind of exercise is the kind you will keep DOING. Experiment to find out what fits your default "I find this fun / engaging" o-meter. So long as you are moving SOMEhow. B)

WHATEVER is your personal most-fun best fit, consider trying / working towards a 30X30 challenge. Thirty minutes (can be broken across your out-of-bed hours if required as you build your stamina) every day for 30 days. Maybe include a minimal number of "Intentional Pass" days - Hey, Life Happens!

So long as you don't exceed more than 3 or 4 Pass Days, then you have been active 80 to 90 % of the days through the month. Perfection not required.

Body-weight youtube routines and cumulative "beat your best" challenges like 30-day plank or push-up or tricep dip charts you can print out appeal to some. There are also this kind of "check-in challenge-threads" on MFP.

Darebee is one of many sites you can explore for a variety of that sort of "calisthenics body weight" style.

Many of their options don't even need what @jaedamvinson lists as "gonna get" equipment (but DO go get it, @jaedamvinson IF you already know that fits your style, and you will use it. What you already have in the way of resistance bands and 3 weights of kettle bells are plenty if you are just starting out)

As @Katmary71 said above, there are also many, many Youtube cardio workouts and dancercise videos for all levels if that appeals to you more than "calisthenics body weight" routines.

BodyGroove is also a good place to start if "dancercise set-routines" feel a bit intimidating just now - BG also has Youtube examples as well as a home web-site (Youtube dedicated channel?) where you can get more sent to you regularly. A friend of mine with very little sense of rhythm / balance thrives here where the other two options above are just NEVER going to be "her".

Personally, I go for the Wii "you are the controller" exergame route. Yup the Wii-original system that started it all.

I hear there are also smart-phone app strapped-to-your-arm-while-game-play-shown-on-Smart-TV updated new-school equivalent exergames around these days that I wouldn't have a CLUE about . Noe do I own the required tech for.

Maybe another poster could mention some of THAT kind of option?
  • kamaniwase
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    @kamaniwase , @jaedamvinson

The best kind of exercise is the kind you will keep DOING. Experiment to find out what fits your default "I find this fun / engaging" o-meter. So long as you are moving SOMEhow. B)

WHATEVER is your personal most-fun best fit, consider trying / working towards a 30X30 challenge. Thirty minutes (can be broken across your out-of-bed hours if required as you build your stamina) every day for 30 days. Maybe include a minimal number of "Intentional Pass" days - Hey, Life Happens!

So long as you don't exceed more than 3 or 4 Pass Days, then you have been active 80 to 90 % of the days through the month. Perfection not required.

Body-weight youtube routines and cumulative "beat your best" challenges like 30-day plank or push-up or tricep dip charts you can print out appeal to some. There are also this kind of "check-in challenge-threads" on MFP.

Darebee is one of many sites you can explore for a variety of that sort of "calisthenics body weight" style.

Many of their options don't even need what @jaedamvinson lists as "gonna get" equipment (but DO go get it, @jaedamvinson IF you already know that fits your style, and you will use it. What you already have in the way of resistance bands and 3 weights of kettle bells are plenty if you are just starting out)

As @Katmary71 said above, there are also many, many Youtube cardio workouts and dancercise videos for all levels if that appeals to you more than "calisthenics body weight" routines.

BodyGroove is also a good place to start if "dancercise set-routines" feel a bit intimidating just now - BG also has Youtube examples as well as a home web-site (Youtube dedicated channel?) where you can get more sent to you regularly. A friend of mine with very little sense of rhythm / balance thrives here where the other two options above are just NEVER going to be "her".

Personally, I go for the Wii "you are the controller" exergame route. Yup the Wii-original system that started it all.

I hear there are also smart-phone app strapped-to-your-arm-while-game-play-shown-on-Smart-TV updated new-school equivalent exergames around these days that I wouldn't have a CLUE about . Noe do I own the required tech for.

Maybe another poster could mention some of THAT kind of option?
    Thank you

• Moni0031
    Moni0031 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do yoga every morning and make sure I drink shake to help any morning craving. But I also like to take walks to clear my mind. Lots of YouTube videos on cardio
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Speaking of Youtube videos and walking or stationary biking (in place in front of the TV) there are LOADS of first-person-trail-unrolls in front of you treadmill / elliptical / bike virtual trail training choices. Trails from all over the world. You could "virtually visit"/pre-view most places on your travel wish-list and see what it is like "on the ground".
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    If you set your calories to lose weight and stay within your calorie limit, you will lose weight. I don't exercise at this point; a couple hip opener yoga poses done on the bed because my sacrum is too tender to lie on the floor really don't count. I have exercise intolerance, in fact, as part of my fibromyalgia. And yet in three months I've lost 25 pounds, and two sizes in pants.

Do what works for you. If the resistance bands and kettlebells in your living room just....don't get done, if you're staying within your calories, you'll keep making weight loss progress. If you're like me, once you lose weight, you'll find yourself just up and doing stuff instead of sitting down, and that counts as exercise too. I'm waiting until the gym reopens to really work on strength training and cardio. If you wind up doing that too, it's not the end of the world.
  • RoseyandReady
    RoseyandReady Posts: 256 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    YouTube videos have been helping me along. I usually do a few of them so the training is broken up in to 10 minute sections (I guess these aren't so much cardio though) and all different trainers... so much variety to help from getting bored. I heard Beachbody has a free trial, going to look that up too. Good luck out there!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Yoga With Adriene videos off Youtube and walking outside.
  • VioletteJ88
    VioletteJ88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started using YouTube and even found some great workout for kids that we are doing as a family. Great workout for sure.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Prior to this lockdown, I was on a 2/wk program at the gym, including both a trainer session and afterwards stationary bike on my own. Plus outdoor cycling when streets aren't icy. This is my "winter program." I was just about to transition to less gym, more outdoor cycling for my "spring program" when the lockdown commenced. Being in a higher-risk group, I haven't been off the my property in more than 3 wks.

So, in the house, I cut back on my MFP calorie allotment and started a bodyweight, stretching, resistance band, and step climbing cardio program. It isn't a great program, but I'm not completely idle. I have lost 10lbs so far and some percentage of my training base for riding so far. Cooking-wise, I am working to ensure the family (I'm the chef) gets enough protein and doesn't carb overload on long-term pantry stores (rice, beans, grains, canned goods). My "online quartermaster" duties take up a fair portion of the day.

Hoping for light at the end of the tunnel sooner than later. Being a couple miles from the beach here in coastal NJ, my "summer program" is usually cycling over to the beach, swimming, cycling back (with longer rides in "destination areas" supplementing). The mental challenge in lockdown, impacting my current regimen, is frustration at not even getting out to see the beach.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Here (link below) is the eating plan I used to lose about 50 pounds a few years back (and I basically do the same now, maintaining weight for 4+ years since). It's about as non-complex as it gets: It's a gradual process for figuring out which foods you enjoy that keep you full and help you meet your nutrition goals within your calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

Wishing you much success!
  • BMcC9
    Options

@kamaniwase , @jaedamvinson how is it going? have you found yourselves a pattern that fits your personal style?
  • BMcC9
    Options
    bump - some great ideas here!