should i use that ? or not ?
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    saynow111 wrote: »
    harper16 wrote: »
    It might be cooked or uncooked.

I wouldn't use it. Remember most entries are done by users. You might do better to create your own entry, or use one by usda, or one that specifies if it's cooked or not.
  • saynow111
    saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    saynow111 wrote: »
    It might be cooked or uncooked.

I wouldn't use it. Remember most entries are done by users. You might do better to create your own entry, or use one by usda, or one that specifies if it's cooked or not.

You mean this website

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/

It is so complicated website

Any easier website and reliable website ?
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I dunno what happened to the old usda website... =/ but that one is terrible
  • saynow111
    saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I dunno what happened to the old usda website... =/ but that one is terrible

Any other reliable source for calories
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Just add "cooked" or "raw" to your search words here.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    unfortunately that web site with the new stupid search and the requirement to click on all words and sr legacy (which will no longer be getting updated)... is as good as it gets!!!

https://nutritiondata.self.com/ used to also have good entries from the USDA SR Legacy database.

Searching for the same name as the USDA entry will usually bring up the same entry on MFP, or one close enough (double check calories and other numbers to make sure it is not incorrect... because it happens)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    The new USDA site is worse than the old one, but it's okay once you play with it a bit and learn to use it.

To answer the original question, it depends on the type of food.

(1) Is it something that has label information? If so, it's uncooked (assuming you bought it uncooked) unless it specifically says "for cooked" or "as prepared" on the label. Just search until you find information that matches your label (the bar code scan will not necessarily result in that, you still need to check).

(2) Is it a whole food for which you do not have label information (and remember even many whole foods may have label information depending on where you bought them and the packaging)? If so, the USDA site is the best place to double check, but first I'd search the MFP database using search strings that include cooked or raw. Examples: carrots, raw, or chicken, breast, meat only, cooked, dry heat. Then find similar strings in the USDA site (click legacy) and compare. You can also search for the food, cooked or raw, and USDA in MFP -- that will bring up an entry that someone else entered, not the ones MFP imported directly, but it usually is still correct, again I would double check it. As you get familiar with the USDA entries and the MFP database, you will be able to recognize the USDA entries easily without double checking -- among other things they will have lots of unit options (including my preferred on "100 g."