Off Topic - CHICKEN POX

Options
amartine
amartine Posts: 125
I didn't know where else to ask, but I know there are a lot of moms on here. I think my niece might have chicken pox. I just picked her up and she's got bumps all over her chest and back. She's only a year old. What should/can I do?

Replies

• amartine
    Options
    I didn't know where else to ask, but I know there are a lot of moms on here. I think my niece might have chicken pox. I just picked her up and she's got bumps all over her chest and back. She's only a year old. What should/can I do?
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Does she have a fever?
  • amartine
    Options
    Not currently, but I just talked to her mom and she has had a fever, runny nose, cough (which are all symptoms) during the past week. But babies are so sensitive so I'm not sure if it's that or just a rash, and the symptons could just be her being sick.
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    When my kids have been sick with a fever like your neice, they've come down with what my pediatrician called a "viral rash" a few days after the fever. Just some little red bumps all over their bellies, backs & sometimes down their arms. It usually clears up in a day or two. Hopefully this is all your neice's rash is!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Well if it's chicken pox, she's past the stage of being contagious. Recently, my daughter thought her son had chicken pox and she took him to the doctor but it turned out to be hives caused by something he ate. I know they give shots for chicken pox nowadays but I don't know how old the child has to be when the shot is given.
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    iF SHE IS ONE YEARS OLD SHE SHOULD HAVE ALREADY HAD THE VARICELLA VACCINATION!!(CHICKEN POX SHOT)
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    watch the bumps on her chest. That is usually where it comes out first. Do they look like a pimple or blisteron them? That could be chicken pox. If she has it, keep her comfy, allow as much air to get to the skin as possible. Bath her in lukewarm water with oatmeal or baking soda in it for the itch.

IT's not pretty and kids feel lousy with it but it lasts about a week or so
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    iF SHE IS ONE YEARS OLD SHE SHOULD HAVE ALREADY HAD THE VARICELLA VACCINATION!!(CHICKEN POX SHOT)

Some moms don't get the chicken pox shot for their children, though. Just fyi. :flowerforyou:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

Some moms don't get the chicken pox shot for their children, though. Just fyi. :flowerforyou:

Also the chicken pox shot is not 100% effective!!! My son had the shot and still got chicken pox:grumble: and he had them pretty bad too!!!
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Same here, Jackeh! My son had the shot & still got them. He was out of school for over 2 weeks..he had a severe case of them. :sick:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    My nephews were the same way! All 3 of them had the shot & got the pox REALLY bad. Their little sister didn't have the shot & she recovered much quicker. So odd.
  • amartine
    Options
    Thank you everyone. My mom ended up taking her to her house because I have not had chicken pox, so I wanted to be on the safe side. I'll find out more when I see my mom tonight. Thanks for all of your help :)
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. My mom ended up taking her to her house because I have not had chicken pox, so I wanted to be on the safe side. I'll find out more when I see my mom tonight. Thanks for all of your help :)

There's still a chance that you actually did have the virus and are immune to it. I never had the chicken pox, per say, as in developing any visible symptoms, when my two oldest kids contracted the virus, and I was pregnant, I was terrified, turns out with a simple blood test, I had at one point in my life been immune. Sine then the other 6 of my children have had the chicken pox vaccine, and it's worked for us:wink:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Also they're contagious before they actually break out with the spots.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I actually had CP when I was 17 and it started on my face instead of my actual body..luckily it was a mild case. But the bumps on my face looked like waterfilled blisters... & stupid me at the time I popped them! :noway:

Hope she feels better! She might have really sensitive skin too, I know I do...I break out pretty easily.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents....

I'd take her to the doctor for a quick check.
    At a year old, you can't be too careful with a rash that appears all over the body.

Thought my daughter had hives once after an ear infection.
    Turned out to be a non-threatening allergic rash to penicillin (spell checker, where are you?).

I'm overly cautious with health of little ones.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    As someone else said the vaccination is not 100% effective. I worked at an elementary school and all the kids had been vaccineated and we had a horrible outbreak of chickenpox.

You can go to the doc and get a blood test. The CDC came and did a blood test on me because I got it too and they track outbreaks. I am pretty scared of the vaccene now because i never had them as a child but i got them as an adult and thats what led to years of being very very ill. I think its much less severe to get it as a child.All my friends had it as children and are fine. other then myself I know 2 adults who got it and all of us were very very sick. I was taken to the emergency room by ambulance twice becuase of it. and we were all sick for years. As a child I remember all my friends being sick for a week or so.

Go to the Doc to be sure. Its better to find out whats really going on I think.
  • awestfall
    Options
    Sorry if my comment of "she should have already had this shot "came on to strong.I just know where I live its a required shot for all kids prior to entering school.And my 2 year old daughter has already had it.Again I apologize if I offended anyone by my comment.
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Sorry if my comment of "she should have already had this shot "came on to strong.I just know where I live its a required shot for all kids prior to entering school.And my 2 year old daughter has already had it.Again I apologize if I offended anyone by my comment.

I don't think you offended anyone! Thank you, though! I didn't know that some places were already requiring the pox vaccine for K! Just a matter of time, i guess. :ohwell:
  • awestfall
    Options
    Yes my daughter is starting preschool this year and she had to have it.It used to be that it was your option because my 14 year didn't have to have it but my 2 younger girls do.