Calorie counting. Does it work for you?

Hi everyone. Firstly congratulations to everyone including myself for either starting out or continuing to shock your body with results. Sometimes I really do have a lot of respect and appreciation towards people who keep fit for years to come. It's really I lifestyle and not a term based thing. Enough of my babbling. My question is. After using my fitness pal to calculate your caloric intake, are you actually losing weight by controlling it? If so, how much have you lost since whatever date doing it? I started using this 3 days ago and started my insanity yesterday so wish me luck. Hopefully everything will fall into place.

Replies

• JosJourney2018
    JosJourney2018 Posts: 28 Member
    Hi, yes it works. 113 days in and 2stone 7 lbs gone. Good luck
  • issaiahjordan
    issaiahjordan Posts: 10 Member
    Hi, yes it works. 113 days in and 2stone 7 lbs gone. Good luck

Thank you for the response and a big well done to you on your transformation! Keep it up
  • issaiahjordan
    issaiahjordan Posts: 10 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I've lost 35 lbs since August. If that seems slow, it's intentional: I chose the slowest weight loss rate in MFP. Slow and steady wins the race :wink: I'm over halfway to my first goal, a normal BMI.

Personally, I've found it a lot easier than expected, I wish I started years ago before 'ballooning' to a BMI of 34.

Slow and steady does indeed win the race. Its great that you found a steady pace that would not throw you off completely, something I need to take notes from. Thank you for your response also! I wish you all the best towards achieving your fitness goals!!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Yes. I've gained, lost, and maintained counting calories.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    It does work if you are really consistent and don't try to lose weight too fast. If you are too aggressive in your weight loss, you'll feel deprived, and you'll be a lot more likely to cheat or quit entirely. You can also lose muscle, which is counter-productive. Logging everything you eat keeps you mindful of the choices you are making. You learn to think about which foods you really want and which are not worth the extra calories.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I have lost 10 pounds since the new year. I mostly use mfp to balance my macros and ensure I am eating enough but not too much. I workout too so I don’t want to lose muscle mass while I am cutting calories. I try to have 1-2 cheat days a week. Sometimes I count calories on those days and sometimes I don’t. This week I made carna asada tacos, refried beans and Mexican style brown rice for my cheat day. Tons of ingredients and delicious... I generally plan cheat days around what I have planned for the week.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    I lost 50 pounds in 2015, calorie counting with MFP, at age 59 (and while hypothyroid, if that matters - I think it doesn't ;) ), and have stayed at a healthy weight for 4+ years since, still calorie counting. That, after 3+ decades of obesity previously. I didn't much change my exercise routine, because I was already quite active while obese - though I didn't start being routinely active until I was in my mid-40s, after cancer treatment.

So, yes, calorie counting can work. Calorie counting is a skill that takes practice and refinement, at first. Invest the time and effort, get the results.

P.S. I don't believe in "shocking my body". I believe in manageably changing eating habits while getting good nutrition and the right number of calories of food I enjoy eating (including some treats), and - if starting from inactive - gradually increasing exercise in a sensible way to get stronger and fitter without becoming burned out or over-fatigued. There's a common myth that we need to eat in some miserable restrictive way , avoiding deliciousness, to lose weight; and exercise in unpleasant and exhausting ways to get fit. I don't think that's true at all. YMMV.

Best wishes for finding a sustainable path toward your health and fitness goals!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I lost 40 Lbs 7 years ago...it works if you're consistent and you log as accurately as possible.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,971 Member
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    Knowing approximately how many calories I'm consuming everyday absolutely works for me.

I lost over 80 pounds and 6 dress sizes. Next month will be 7 years since I've kept it off without any weight regain.

Not only that but calorie counting combined with planning out my meals, I can literally eat whatever I want.

Plus I never followed any diets or had any restrictions.

This has worked well for me during weight loss and maintenance mode.

Good luck

My experience is quite similar. I lost over 80 pounds and have been in maintenance for over 2 years. I never restricted anything but calories and I pretty much eat whatever I want as long as it fits into my calorie goal.

Good luck with your weight loss.
  • coffeencreem
    coffeencreem Posts: 4 Member
    Counting calories seems to be the only way that works for me down 45lbs ..I am like you I eat whatever I want as long as it’s in my calorie goal
  • marty_smith
    marty_smith Posts: 102 Member
    Yes mate, counting calories is 100% the way to go. Just make sure you are well under your calories required to function each day according to you TDEE and you should see results pretty quickly. I lost 21 pounds in 10 weeks as an example, that included walking daily (for work) and running three/four times a week and eating around 1700-2300 calories a day with one cheat day a week on the saturday.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I lost around 70 pounds counting calories and have kept that weight off for 3 years while continuing to do the same.
  • JadeMC42
    JadeMC42 Posts: 25 Member
    Yes! Counting calories works for me but unfortunately sometimes I underestimate what I intake vs what I put out. (Metabolism slows after 32 apparently). I've just completed week 2 of the original Insanity series (for the umpteenth time). Hoping I can actually correctly and faithfully follow the program to the end this time! Good luck.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I’m 65 yo, 5’2” woman (ie “little old lady). Every time I stick with calorie counting I lose my desired weight. For the past 6 years using MFP I’ve lost 25 lbs and only regain when I stop counting and logging.

I’m back at goal weight again and this time just need to count for the rest of my life. I also exercise vigorously 4-5 days a week, and have my whole adult life. I currently have a Pelaton bike. Counting calories has made my weight loss and management much more understandable, fun, and successful.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    MFP is a tool. If you learn how to use and you are completely honest with yourself (log everything accurately), it will work. You have to have patience and you have to understand it is a process. The initial settings may not work and may need to be adjusted. Once you are setup and using MFP for 4-6 weeks check your progress. If you are losing at the target rate you are set. If you are not, make the adjustment.

For me I lost 50 pounds over the first 2 years of using MFP. I've maintained that weight for the past 3. This year I decided to drop another 10 for athletic performance reasons and I'm down 6 already (about .4 to .5 pounds per week).

The main thing MFP did for me at first was highlight some of the high calorie choices I was making. It made it obvious where I could cut out extra calories and not change my diet drastically. It also allowed me to sometimes fit those high calorie foods in my diet since I knew pretty much how many calories I was eating and burning. It also taught me how to eat without counting (I am not consistent any longer - at least until this year when I wanted to drop more).

TLDR: Yes, it works. :D

Good luck.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited April 2020
    Yes, absolutely calorie counting works. Weighing my food is critical to keep things as accurate as possible. I'm down 100 lbs from all time heaviest a couple years ago. Lost nearly all of it since last April. Good luck with your journey.
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Calorie counting WORKS! Several years ago, I decided it was time to finally lose those extra 20 pounds, and for about the first 10 pounds, all I did was count and cut calories. It wasn't until probably the last 10 pounds that I decided I wanted to add some form of exercise that I could do even after the 20 pounds were gone.

Then I gained half of the weight back... A couple years ago, I thought I could just try to lose that weight without counting calories, and that went nowhere.

Now I'm counting and cutting calories again, and it's slow and steady but working!

Good luck to us all! :)
  • I've noticed that over the years my weight varies in the +/- 2 Kg interval. I know that with age it will be harder to get back to the ' - ' part, so it helps me a lot if I have a clear image of what I eat, especially the macros percentage, me being vegetarian. So a 'yes' from me, it helps.