Carrying calories over

Options
Mrsindepenant1
Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
edited April 2020 in Food and Nutrition
Are we able to carry calories over to the following day if we don’t use them all?
I know some people save X amount of calories a day to treat themselves at the end of the week but does this slow down weight loss?
And does it work the same for example if you eat over your calories by 200 on day 5 so you eat under your calories by 200 on day 6?

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Are we able to carry calories over to the following day if we don’t use them all?
    I know some people save X amount of calories a day to treat themselves at the end of the week but does this slow down weight loss?
    And does it work the same for example if you eat over your calories by 200 on day 5 so you eat under your calories by 200 on day 6?

I do this, especially if I know I have a big day planned later in that week. Look at your goal as a weekly goal rather than a daily goal if you take this approach. Some prefer the consistency of the same amount of calories every day but others cope much better with more flexibility. You could easily be the latter.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It would only slow down weight loss if your total calories over an extended period of time were different.

Think of it as an adherence factor.

Some people like, and thrive on, rigid rules, fixed daily targets, set macro percentages, routine.
    Personally I do better with the least restrictions possible so a weekly calorie goal, flexible macros, making my diet fit into my lifestyle rather than my diet becoming my lifestyle works much better.

I didn't save calories for a treat, I just used my calorie allowance flexibly (treats included) but if having a weekly treat helps you then go for it. To me a sensible approach is to make dieting at least unpleasant and as easy as possible rather than making it a white-knuckle hateful experience.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I look at my calories on a weekly basis. Some days I eat more, other days I eat less, but at the end of the week my calories balances out and I continued to lose weight and now maintain my weight.

This way allows me to incorporate treats and higher calorie things without messing up my progress.

It may not work for everyone, but I prefer to eat this way compared to cutting things out and restricting.

See what works for you!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options

Yes you can carry calories over.

No this doesnt slow weight loss - it is your average calories per day that counts

Yes - if you over eat by 200 one day and under eat by 200 the next or vice versa, your average will be the correct amount.

These are the cornerstones of weekly counting - which is an easier way of approaching this for many people, me included.

• Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, it’s Easter so iv splashed out today, counted calories for all my food and half my treats and was still under my days calories but I ended up eating an extra serving of chocolates which would have taken me over. Not going to stress about it since I only managed 700 calories yesterday (I ate heaps it was just very good calorie wise). Good to know for the future though, If I carry over I’ll just keep it within that weeks counting and start each week fresh again
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    The bad news is that it takes every bit of a 3500 calorie deficit to lose one pound. The good news is that it takes every bit of a 3500 calorie excess to gain one pound. But, for me, every day is a new day. I don't even think about yesterday once the calories are logged.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

To lose a Lb per week you need a weekly deficit of 3500 calories...that's it. It doesn't matter if it's X calories per day or Y calories per day. Energy balance happens on a continuum. There's is not midnight reset or anything. Time is a human construct...your actual body doesn't care.