I am afraid to learn Russian language

Options
saynow111
saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
Becoz of it is grammer it look very complicated
not only
male and female cases but neutral tooπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
If I go to learn some of this language I go back becoz of it seem very complicated
Any insights about that

Replies

• TarryTaffyTwo
    TarryTaffyTwo Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    not only
    If I go to learn some of this language I go back becoz of it seem very complicated
    Any insights about that

Unsure of your origins, but Russian is one of the harder languages... still, my brother became fluent in Russian & Turkish, within 6-wks in the USAF. How badly do you need/want to know it? And, to which capacity... speaking conversationally or as a tourist, reading, writing?

I can speak several languages conversationally, but cannot write in them. Some I can read & understand basics, others I cannot read at all. But, I don't need to.

There are YTube vids you can search for which will help you with basics. Good luck!
  • saynow111
    edited April 2020
    Options
    not only
    Any insights about that

Unsure of your origins, but Russian is one of the harder languages... still, my brother became fluent in Russian & Turkish, within 6-wks in the USAF. How badly do you need/want to know it? And, to which capacity... speaking conversationally or as a tourist, reading, writing?

I can speak several languages conversationally, but cannot write in them. Some I can read & understand basics, others I cannot read at all. But, I don't need to.

There are YTube vids you can search for which will help you with basics. Good luck!
    Good questions
    I like to read and write in Russian and may speak it will be good add
    I am Egyptian
    I know it is hard language that is why I am afraid to dig deep in it coz may be I may not reach to anything
    Coz I can't get to my goal which is to read , write and speak in it
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    TarryTaffyTwo Posts: 448 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    not only
    Any insights about that

Good questions
    I like to read and write in Russian and may speak it will be good add
    I am Egyptian
    I know it is hard language that is why I am afraid to dig deep in it coz may be I may not reach to anything
    Coz I can't get to my goal which is to read , write and speak in it

Unsure about your country, but in the US, we have free access to online language courses (& others, like computer languages), in the library. Many bring their own laptops, but there are public computers for those who don't own one... of course, every town/city/state differs & so does access to programs... much depends on the size & budget of the local library system.

I've found it's easier to learn vocabulary first... just a few words on my own, so if I needed to ask for a cafe, bathroom, hotel, airport, taxi... I can just say that word & locals would understand. Also, learning directions... left, right, straight ahead, numbers & words that would come in handy if a tourist... street/city names, car rental, coffee/tea, market, etc.

I'm able to learn easier by speaking a new language first. Watching foreign film helps me to keep it fresh. But, if you've heard about immersion courses, many swear that's the easiest way to learn. Again, I've never had a need to read or write other languages, so of course, those would be harder to learn, especially with Russian that has a completely different alphabet from yours.

BTW, you're English is good, so you're obviously capable of learning hard foreign languages. On charts, English is always the 3rd most difficult, so you're off to a good start.

If you post an ad on a forum, such as Craigslist (unsure if you have that in your country?), perhaps you can find a Russian speaker wanting to learn Arabic & you can teach each other?

BTW, have you looked into Rosetta Stone?

Good luck.
  • saynow111
    Options
    First time I hear about Rosetta stone πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    May be I look at it
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Rosetta Stone helped me learn enough Japanese to take a trip. Not sure it'll get you fluent in any language but it's a great start.

My mother tongue is English but I do speak, read and write French fluently. French also has the male/female issue for words. Fun fact: "vagina" is a male word in French. I laugh every single time I remember this.

All this to say, language learning takes practice and, if you're able, cultural immersion (for example, taking a trip to Russia).
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I took Russian in university. That was over 20 years ago, and I've forgotten a lot, but, if you speak French at all, you'll find some similarities in syntax. The cases are tricky, but there are rules and they get easier to remember with practice.

You might want to check out duolingo.com; I'm learning Welsh with it now and, while I don't kid myself I'm fluent (nobody to converse with that I know of near me), I am noticing that I'm retaining the vocabulary, that I don't have to hit 'repeat' on the exercises as often, that I rarely have to request the examples be reread slowly, etc.
  • saynow111
    Options
    not only
    Any insights about that

If you think it is too complicated, then why do you want to learn it? If your desire to learn it is great enough, then you will not worry about it being complicated. Others can learn it, so can you. It just depends on your motivation. Why do you want to learn Russian?

I have learned 6 languages, and at one time was considered "fluent" in 3 (Russian, Burmese, and Thai). I no longer consider myself "fluent" in Russian or Thai...(almost fluent in Russian)...still fluent in Burmese, mainly because I still speak it daily, as I live in a 2 language household (English and Burmese).

And despite what anyone says, learning a different language, even to a level 1 proficiency is not an overnight venture. I am a 4 time graduate of the Defense Language Institute, and also graduated twice from the Foreign Service Institute in languages. The shortest course I had was 37 weeks....8 hours per day, 5 days per week. I have also been in total immersion courses, in which no English was allowed....24/7 for 47 weeks. After all this training, you get to your country and THEN begin learning the real language. Anyone promising to teach you a language....any language...in a short time, is not being honest. You cannot learn a language in 4, 6, 8 weeks....you might be barely functional in that language, but you will be EXTREMELY limited in your ability. You are only truly "fluent" in your native language....and it took you several years to learn that when you were a baby, and your young brain was a virtual sponge.

My reason is to open my way to Russian culture I think it is opposite to English culture and
    Can be great add to my life
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    not only
    Any insights about that

To ease you off your anxiety, I recommend you kick-start with *the most basic approach to acclimate your mind with the nuances of the language before following through with the [practical/immersion] portals of language-learning & language-proficiency to that of a native-speaker, as the members have shared above.
    • Bilingual audios [eg On the subject of Culture - Cuisine & Delicacies/Etiquette/Customs/History, Literature (like Short Stories, Plays, Poems), Business language, even Nursery Rhymes, etc]
    • Colloquialisms & expressions, strictly audio [Current to as far back as your grandparents generation]
    • Consider FINDING the Russian equivalent to "First Aid in English - Revised."

From observation, even with the English language for example, when assuming select accents in their delivery, many faulter, putting themselves at risk in my opinion. To avoid THIS hiccup , be particularly selective with the Russian Dialect you'll settle with [where you'll ground yourself - your Russian starting block].

Was first exposed to anything Russian with my sister whilst studying abroad in NZ as tweens/teens, when their High Commission donated books to our Private Collegiate School library. Back then, many weren't as receptive to anything outside of the usual. My sister and I were the only students who made good use of their selection, via our submitted internal assessments.