Keto anyone?

Options
So it’s my second serious go at Keto. Lost a lot first time around and then of course gained it back. Looking to change my lifestyle and have it be permanent, not temporary.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    If you lost weight and regained it already doing keto, are you planning to follow keto diet the rest of your life?
    If not, why not eat count calories and eat the foods that you like in moderation.
  • Beerandsunshine
    Beerandsunshine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no but I do know low carb works best for my body and I want to drop the weight and practice the discipline needed for the long haul. I have tried to restrict calories only too but it never did what keto did for me. I workout regularly so it has been a struggle to overcome how keto makes you feel until your body becomes adapted. All trial and error. All i can do is try and give it my best. Are you on keto too?
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I've done keto/low carb in the past. I learned how to lose weight, but now how to maintain. I developed an eating disorder during my time following keto/low carb. Not saying it was the diet. I just got carried away with seeing the numbers on the scale dropping. This time I'm trying to not cut out any foods, just moderation, and some exercise.
  • Beerandsunshine
    Options
    Yeah i don’t like to weigh myself because it can become an unhealthy obsession. I go off how I feel and look. I really don’t like to cut anything either but, like i said, i needed something to get serious about again. No one’s perfect and i know everyone has their bad days but its all about not giving up. At least i got up!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    So it’s my second serious go at Keto. Lost a lot first time around and then of course gained it back. Looking to change my lifestyle and have it be permanent, not temporary.

@Beerandsunshine I have been more or less Keto for over 5 years because it lowers my internal inflammation levels but trying to eat Keto more so since it can lower my risk of getting the bat flu since it has resolved some of my preexisting health issues that I do not want to come back since Keto does not really cure things. Personally I find it helps with my appetite because in my body it seems like one carb calls for four more carbs. Best of success.
  • Beerandsunshine
    Options
    @GaleHawkins i also notice it helps with inflammation for me cuz i have a bakers cyst behind one of my knees. Also, my cholesterol and body fat percentage wasn’t going in the right direction. Thank you for your feedback! Best of success to you as well!
  • NorthStar77
    NorthStar77 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Your beer and sunshine approach is the best! ;)
  • kendratwcp2014
    kendratwcp2014 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Feel free to add me my diary is public and keto.
  • Beerandsunshine
    Options
    @NorthStar77 🤗 two of my favorite things
  • jessicaharrell80
    jessicaharrell80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Second time doing Keto here also! That has been the only thing in the past that has worked for me also. Would love to be accountability partners.
  • EmanMAbdElHamied317
    EmanMAbdElHamied317 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's my first time on keto diet and I have spent 3 days of being imbalanced .
    Is it the ketoflu like symptoms ?!
  • GaleHawkins
    edited June 2020
    Options
    It's my first time on keto diet and I have spent 3 days of being imbalanced .
    Is it the ketoflu like symptoms ?!

@EmanMAbdElHamied317 Welcome to MFP. That does sound like it could be what some refer to as the keto flu. I left all foods containing any form of any grain as well as any form of sweetener. I was ok when I added some salt that I had been getting from all of the processed food. My first year had a learning curve. I started low carb/keto Way Of Eating cold turkey Oct 2014 for pain management. Today I am mostly low carb since I am focusing on the health of my gut microbiome for better general health.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    @GaleHawkins i also notice it helps with inflammation for me cuz i have a bakers cyst behind one of my knees. Also, my cholesterol and body fat percentage wasn’t going in the right direction. Thank you for your feedback! Best of success to you as well!

@Beerandsunshine I was down to 30 days before I was to start Enbrel injections for pain management so in desperation I went Keto cold turkey. After a hellish two weeks my pain level started to decrease and at my appointment to start on Enbrel injections my pain level was dropping well so I was able to the young MD that I was going to try this new Way Of Eating for a while so I passed on the Enbrel injection pain management option. He was very confused. He said he left India where Enbrel was not even option due to cost and I was using coconut oil from places like India. In fact my first cup of coffee each morning still is heavy with coconut oil and half and half cream.

It was day 45 before I lost my first pound of weight but I had been losing fat for sometimes before the weight loss started because I had to tighten my belt one hole already.

I was very serious and doing the blood ketone levels daily because for the first time in 40 years my pain levels were dropping like a rock. After a while of all my health markers and pain levels were improving it hit my brain there had to be more than high levels of ketones changing my health markers so fast.

It took me another two years of studying before I understood ketones were not the main key to my health improvements. Weight was decreasing while I was stuffing my face with the Keto WOE source of calories.

While many people today understand health and obesity problems most often can be traced back to one's gut microbiome and its balance yet back in 2014 that was not common knowledge even on MFP.

Over time my reading of research pointed to the key factor to human health is the make up of our gut microbiome and its balance. While I still do low carb because it works so well eating Keto is not the only way one can eat to develop a healthy microbiome. My gut level hunch to cut out all grains and sweeteners cold turkey turned out to be a valid hunch in my case and still is today.

This is why all people do not have to eat the same foods to develop the best possible human health. We are all different. About a year ago I added some raw honey, an apple including the peeling and the core as well as a peeled banana daily for my gut microbiome health and balance. Below talks about how eating keto/low carb can lead to better health for some of us.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6678592/
    Genes (Basel). 2019 Jul; 10(7): 534.
    Published online 2019 Jul 15. doi: 10.3390/genes10070534
    PMCID: PMC6678592
    PMID: 31311141

Ketogenic Diet and Microbiota: Friends or Enemies?

Be careful when reading on the the microbiome subject and do not take just one article as your only source of info.

https://atlasbiomed.com/blog/link-between-gut-bacteria-and-weight-loss/

Keep in mind how to fix health related issues by balancing our gut microbiome is not settled science at this point so there is no final word yet and the subject requires an open mind. Most health issues seem to point back to the health of our gut microbiome as more research continues to be reported.

Best of continued learning success.

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,328 Member
    Options
    I just restarted keto on June 9th ....wishing you much success :)