Extra calories

The app tells me how many calories I use. The more I exercise, the more it goes up. When bulking, do I eat more calories than the number I burn or just more calories than my base line without exercise?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I'm not sure if this answers your question, but you are supposed to eat back the exercise calories.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If you are trying to gain I would eat back the exercise calories. There might be some inaccuracies but overall it will be a good idea especially if you tend to overestimate intake and have a hard time gaining.

Alternatively, which some people who are gaining might find easier is using the TDEE method where you calculate your total energy expenditure (you can use a calculator or past data as a baseline) and eat above that amount each day, even on days you don't exercise, it takes into account your average cals burnt.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    So if I need 2000 to maintain without exercise, and I burn and extra 500 calories a day exercising, do I eat 2500 or 2800 each day if I want to “bulk”. Thanks!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    So you would eat above 2500 to gain. 2800 is fine with a surplus of 300cals per day. Track your weight over time since sometimes maintenance numbers can vary.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Thanks!
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Just use this calculator and eat the same amount of calories everyday: https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Less confusing this way.