Foods

why don't someone clean up all the foods. There are so many of the same and all have different values. Shame that everyone can just add what ever with out it being checked. Otherwise app is great.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    Are you volunteering? Cause that would be quite the undergoing... plus the list of foods is made up of users personal entries that they are using in their diaries, they just forgot to make them private.. so to distinguish between what's not being used by someone and is would also make it hard.

And when dealing with packaged foods, the recipes and nutrition profiles can vary country to country or region to region.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    ronmoffa wrote: »
    why don't someone clean up all the foods. There are so many of the same and all have different values. Shame that everyone can just add what ever with out it being checked. Otherwise app is great.

Yeah, it's a mess. That's why I'd never pay for Premium, which uses the same cluttered database. I eat a lot of whole foods and get the syntax for their entries from the USDA database.

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

The USDA recently changed the platform for their database and it is unfortunately a little more difficult to use. I uncheck everything but SR Legacy - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)