How often do you Weigh yourself?

Options
I have 40-50 pounds to lose and started tracking my meals 3 days ago. Also did strength training everyday as well. But I'm obsessed with the scale showing my progress but it hasn't budge. I keep weighing myself everyday. Is that too much?

Replies

• TheHabutEffect
    TheHabutEffect Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found weighing myself frustrating as daily fluctuations can happen for any reason. I've switched to weighing myself on Wednesday and Sunday ams. This gives me a boost each three days and hopefully allows for enough time for the daily fluctuations to even themselves out.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    If you weigh daily you need to manage your expectations, you're not likely to lose daily and some days you might gain 2 or 3 pounds for no good reason. It's perfectly normal but can be frustrating and disappointing so lots of people on here use trending apps to smooth it out, your trend will be downwards if you're doing everything right.

How often you weigh is personal preference, I did it daily for ages and found it interesting, at the moment I'm weighing weekly because I'm not as focused as I was. When I'm back in the "zone" I'll do daily again.

Try it a bit longer and try a trending app to see if you like it. If it starts to stress you out then weigh less.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh each morning because I like to have the data. I use a trend weight app so that I don't have to worry about any daily fluctuations. If someone finds that it stresses them out too much to weigh daily, then they should either work on realistic expectations or weigh less.
  • saynow111
    saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have 40-50 pounds to lose and started tracking my meals 3 days ago. Also did strength training everyday as well. But I'm obsessed with the scale showing my progress but it hasn't budge. I keep weighing myself everyday. Is that too much?

Weight every other day , then after two days , to reach once every week that's ideal
  • AuthenticallyAmanda
    AuthenticallyAmanda Posts: 39 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I do once a week. Every Monday
  • Leticiafiona
    Leticiafiona Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I'm going to gradually wean myself of the scale.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I still weigh every day. I like to know🤷‍♀️
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,682 Member
    Options
    I found weighing myself frustrating as daily fluctuations can happen for any reason. I've switched to weighing myself on Wednesday and Sunday ams. This gives me a boost each three days and hopefully allows for enough time for the daily fluctuations to even themselves out.

I appreciate what you're trying to do.

Unfortunately you don't have foreknowledge that a fluctuation will happen on Thursday morning, giving it 72 hours to sort itself out and show you your correct weight on Sunday... or whether it will happen on Sunday morning, thus giving you the wrong picture!

While losing weight faster your body weight tends to trend downwards so the likelihood that you will see some sort of drop after a few extra days is increased; but this is less of a certainty when you're losing at a slower pace, or when trying to maintain.

To see your trend your best bet is to have enough observations to be able to plot the trend; but not so many that you're generating extra noise where none exists.

Many of us have found that "daily" weigh ins in conjunction with a weight trend app or web site give the "truest" picture of our weight trajectory.

uel6mtme3h91.jpg

I admit to missing a few of my "daily" weight ins (which I didn't use to do when losing weight). It is not a good habit and it tends to make my graph a bit less wavy from time to time!
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily🙋 and regardless of the result I log it into Libra to be able to track the ups and downs
  • nationalvillage3215
    nationalvillage3215 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday at the same time. I find it keeps me motivated on a daily basis. I accepted I am not one of the fast losers and weight is going to change plus or minus 2 lbs for me on a daily basis. I look at the trend. If my weight is the same or a little bit more it keeps me on track with my diet. But everyone's motivation is different so it is a personal decision.