Troubleshoot - why am I gaining weight?

Options
Hi!
I’ve been trying to lose for the last 5 weeks. Things were going well at first. Eating an average of 1500 cal, high protein, low sugar/carb. Some IF. Measuring and tracking all my food. Drinking lots of water. Strength workouts 2x/week. Running 3x/week. Lost 8 lb in the first 4 weeks and then this last week I gained 3 lb! Not doing anything different. If anything, my calories were slightly lower at 1200-1400. I’m so bummed. Anyone have any ideas on what is happening and how to correct it?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    So you had a really great rate of loss for four weeks and one week with a bit of weight gain. This sounds perfectly normal and not like a sign that you're doing anything wrong.

Are you a person who has a period? If so, this has the potential to impact your weight at least once a month. I personally see temporary water weight gain twice a month -- the week I ovulate and the week I start my period. After that, it returns to "normal."

Many people doing a low carbohydrate diet see quick water weight loss and then their weight loss reduces to a more normal pace. That could also contribute to what is happening here.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't a straight line downward. Our weight fluctuates for so many reasons.

Is the exercise new to you? Your muscles will hold on to water for a while to repair themselves, until they get used to the exercise.

Menstrual cycles, like @janejellyroll mentioned, can affect. I gain right around ovulation and again a couple days before my period. It's just water weight, not fat.

Other random things - sunburn, travel (especially flying), drinking alcohol - can cause water weight fluctuations. If you are certain you are eating in a deficit, you just have to trust the process!
  • huxtabee
    huxtabee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks @janejellyroll and @quiksylver296 ! This is the week I ovulate, so it probably has something to do with that. I never would have thought of that
  • zkpayan
    zkpayan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself around the same time if the day. That can also impact things, weight can fluctuate up to 3lbs in one day!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    huxtabee wrote: »
    Thanks @janejellyroll and @quiksylver296 ! This is the week I ovulate, so it probably has something to do with that. I never would have thought of that

Until I began weighing myself daily and tracking the results, I never knew it was happening to me either! For me personally, it seems to drop 2-3 days after ovulation (at least, when I estimate I have ovulated).