Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Health effects of social media...are they changing in our current states of physical isolation?

Options
amandaeve
amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
Everywhere you turn research warns us of the dangers of social media; it's addictive, it causes depression (people feel more lonely, people compare themselves to what they see, FOMO fear of missing out), it's imbalanced, dishonest, too short, discourages critical thinking, it's lazy, you name it.

However, when you look at the mental health impacts in today's world where we are physically isolated from each other far more than ever before (globally, not necessarily individually), do you think social media is better now and helping us, worse now by exaggerating its faults, or the same?

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,624 Member
    Options
    I think there's both good and bad, especially right now. Comparison to others and not spending time with others in person would be a downfall. Positives would be things like teachers teaching students right now, keeping in touch with others through things like Zoom, and keeping updated on everything going on (which can be bad too, after seeing pictures of empty stores and hearing stories of lines and people being robbed of groceries I was so nervous to go shopping I had major anxiety and couldn't sleep the night before). For me I live alone so it's a connection to others. My neighborhood groups have been awesome at fostering a sense of community. I'm able to stream church and YouTube fitness videos. I've learned a lot through groups as well like health condition groups.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Facebook for me, too, is simply a place I connect 'publicly' with people I know. Acquaintances. I do not post my life on there.

The people I *really* care about get much more personal and direct contact from me - either through email, text, video chat or regular phone calls.

I've found that I'm on Facebook a lot less right now, because some people tend to post the kind of misinformation about COVID that really gets me riled up. All of the miracle cures and preventatives. At first, I would post to counter the bs, but after a while, I simply backed off, instead, when I found it was making me angry.

Life is too short. Especially right now.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am still not finding social media (as in social media platforms) to be incredibly good for me right now. I get on reddit a bit each day to entertain myself and connect with some specific interests, but that's it for right now (other than this forum).

What I am finding really healthy is group chats and video calls with friends and family.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I believe it's how it's viewed by the person using it. Dependent on the personality type of the individual, social media is just another avenue for either learning, entertainment, interaction, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Ikeeptrying2
    Ikeeptrying2 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I treat most of it for what it is - a land of make believe. Filter and enjoy what I want and discard the rest.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    I am one of eighteen people in the known Universe that doesn't participate in Facebook. Or Twitter. Or.... Actually anything except MFP. I actually find it odd I even participate in this part of MFP. I am grateful that MFP is a great tool for logging food and managing weight; I migrated over when the USDA was phasing out their "Super Tracker" site.

In general, it's a supportive place. In general, I am glad to be able to share in others' successes and struggles, and it's a reasonably good place to share some of mine. None of that has changed with the current pandemic, except that it's another topic we can share about.

So how about I share something here that made me smile in real life?
    As an escape from working remotely, I walk my lunch break away. I have a few modifications to a basic route that is almost exactly 5KM. One of the routes takes me past a cute little part of a street where the sidewalk jogs onto a property to go around a large tree. It's a Giant Sequoia. There's quite a few around town. There's a couple hand-made wood benches people can rest, and a woven "nest" of branches on the ground where I guess kids can play.

Anyway, now there's also a board with a bunch of clothespins on it. Being curious, I walked over to see what it was. The sign said FREE MASKS. Additional information said that the person who was giving them away normally volunteers at the local Humane Society Thrift Shop. Since it's closed for some reason (who could guess why?), the person has started volunteering to make masks. The sign says they will make several every day; please take ONE and please consider donating some cash to the Humane Society. The next day I walked by and there were two masks, each in a zip-sealed bag. One was a toddler-sized (said on the exterior label), and one was adult size. Next time I go back by, I may take one if there are several left. I rigged one up from a bandana and a paper towel. It will be nice to have something a little fancier I can wear next time I go to the grocery as a courtesy to the employees. It's pretty unlikely I am infected, but they don't know that.

Stay safe, wash your hands, don't stress-eat like I have been doing, and let's have a big party when we get to the other side. Let's make it a masquerade party. Everybody wear a mask -- just not THAT kind of mask.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I stopped using Facebook about 1 month ago ....deactivated my account....and the benefits have been HUGE. I feel so much better. I do feel more out of the loop, especially with my family, but the benefits outweigh the bad.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have family and friends all over North America and even some in other parts of the world. Social media is an easy way to stay at least somewhat connected with my far flung community. I don't get into the time wasters or the downers and they get eliminated if that starts happening.