Stretching

Options
Just wanted to see if people prefer stretching before a workout, after, or both and why.

Interested to see the answers and reasonings.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    After, because your body is already warm.
  • JasmijnRF
    JasmijnRF Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    After. I used to be quite flexible when I was younger and now I am so stiff! (especially hamstrings). I try to stretch more now. It could help me with workouts and prevent injury but it mostly makes me feel better when i am not as stiff.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I don't anymore. It is counterproductive to my goals and I rather spend my time doing something else.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    After, always after, after each and every run/workout. Each session begins with an active warm-up and ends with 15+ minutes of stretching and a mile cool down walk with the puppy. The puppy ensures that the cool down walk always occurs ;-)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    What's you goal, from stretching?

I almost never stretch before other exercise, unless I feel unusually stiff to the point where I'm concerned about reduced mobility increasing injury potential. Then it's brief and gentle. (I'm old, 64, but active; sometimes mornings involve tightness).

Depending on how I feel after exercise, I sometimes stretch a little bit to compensate for unbalanced movement during the work, or to loosen up what tightened. It seems like that helps minimize muscle soreness, but it may just reduce the extent to which my attention is drawn to the area post-workout, if it doesn't feel tight. I do the post-workout stretches when it feels good, and in order to feel good, nothing more.

When I've wanted to improve flexibility in a more general sense, I've gotten the best results from a focused 15-30 minute stretching routine done consistently every day (usually in the morning, but I don't think timing makes a huge difference in effectiveness). By "focused", I mean with stretches focused on specific areas where I want more flexiblity, but planning that broadly (i.e., some thoughtful attention to connected areas).
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a little before. Always after. Since I’ve had fibromyalgia, after exercise, without stretching, my muscles tighten up until it’s painful. I just keep stretching until I cool down to prevent pain.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I rarely do it but it does feel good but after. Or I'll just do 10/15 minutes of just stretching on its own.
  • padraigharris1573
    padraigharris1573 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can someone share a good at home stretching routine for a middle aged man too
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Both. I do oly lifting and without mobility / active stretching before lifts I can’t get the ankle or shoulder rotation I need. I also do 20-30 mins every day to stop things seizing up.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I stretch almost everyday. I do it first thing in the morning because I have OA and am very stiff and sore. After an hour 4 times a week I'm ready for anything. When I get to the pool or gym, I'm ready to go and don't waste any time. I agree with claire, it gives me a wider range of motion, so I can do more without injury. But, I think it's a good idea to see what works best for you and the exercising you do. To be honest, I wouldn't do all the stretching I do if it didn't help with the soreness of movement (I'd sleep an extra hour). ;)
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I very rarely stretch. It honestly depends on how tight my calves are. I never stretch post workout and rarely before a workout. Really, I just stretch when my calves need it ha!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Dynamic warm-up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Stretching is for ONE main reason............flexibility. It DOESN'T reduce muscle soreness (DOMS) after a workout, it doesn't reduce risk of injury and it's NOT NECESSARY if flexibility isn't a main concern for the person. The ONLY main area I believe people should always keep flexible is their hamstrings because it directly ties to low back and tight hamstrings a direct reason for low back issues. Other than that, you make a choice on how flexible you want to be.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I do dynamic stretching (moving and not holding one position) for a few minutes before a workout to get warmed up, and then after my workout I do static stretching to reduce muscle soreness. (Which apparently does nothing? But in the moment it makes my sore muscles feel good) I also randomly will do thigh stretches or calf stretches throughout the day. I love stretching. Time to drop into a down dog!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »
    I do dynamic stretching (moving and not holding one position) for a few minutes before a workout to get warmed up, and then after my workout I do static stretching to reduce muscle soreness. (Which apparently does nothing? But in the moment it makes my sore muscles feel good) I also randomly will do thigh stretches or calf stretches throughout the day. I love stretching. Time to drop into a down dog!
    Stretching may feel good after a workout because you've fatigued the muscle (not soreness because soreness is an indication of muscle rebuilding and that doesn't happen unless the muscle is totally at rest).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    The season of leggings and yoga pants is upon us but I haven't done a single yoga move all day or for years and years. B)

yoga-ground-squirrel-style-saija-lehtonen.jpg
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options

I do this on my "hard" cardio days -- days I'm really pushing it. My easier cardio days, no. Lifting days, no. If you're lifting, it's good to start light and warmup that way. Dynamic stretches is just a fancy way of saying move your body gently to warm it up first. Static is the traditional thought of stretch -- reaching your toes, stretching hammies, glutes, etc. If I'm doing moderately easy work, no I don't stretch -- before or after.

I have a bad back and I find that doing both helps me a lot with back pain. A lot of back pain is from tight hamstrings. I do see a difference if I skip it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Neither.
    I warm up before (or simply start at low intensity) and if I feel the need to stretch then I'll do it as a standalone activity and not waste precious gym time.

When I did sports where flexibility was important then I did more stretching (dynamic and static), now it's of little benefit to me so I only do a little. Specific stretches (some passive) also had their place in injury management - sciatica and neck mainly.

(Had huge rows with my fellow rugby coaches who tried to get players to do static stretches when stone cold purely because that's what they did 30 years ago. Awful idea.)
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I never have, before or after. Not knocking it, just personal preference.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options

I do this on my "hard" cardio days -- days I'm really pushing it. My easier cardio days, no. Lifting days, no. If you're lifting, it's good to start light and warmup that way. Dynamic stretches is just a fancy way of saying move your body gently to warm it up first. Static is the traditional thought of stretch -- reaching your toes, stretching hammies, glutes, etc. If I'm doing moderately easy work, no I don't stretch -- before or after.

I have a bad back and I find that doing both helps me a lot with back pain. A lot of back pain is from tight hamstrings. I do see a difference if I skip it.

Yeah, my dynamic stretching is just low impact movements, and since I work out in the morning relatively soon after I wake up I always do a warm up. I was always told stretching after a workout is good, and I guess since it’s not bad I’m not going to stop because I like it. I do it after any kind of work out. It also is “my time” to stop sweating so much that I won’t drip sweat all over the floor. 😅