Colitis and gaining weight

Options
TallThomas
TallThomas Posts: 3 Member
So I had 99% of my large insteatin removed roughly 20 years ago and j-poich constructed in its place. Has anyone with this type of procedure had success in gaining and maintaining their weight? I try to just eat as much as possible throughout the day, but that isn’t always easy. Overall I’m pretty healthy, but just can’t pass 160lbs. I’m 44 and 6’2” tall. TIA

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I didn't have use of my large intestines for about a year and used a colostomy bag so not exactly the same situation.

I ended up consuming alot calorie dense foods including little debbie type snacks to help keep weight on.

I was still quite small(6'3, 205lbs) for my normal build but we just need calories.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have colitis but not as bad as you guys jesus!! (really sorry it went that far for both of you, I'm very thankful I haven't had to do surgery) I've tried to find data on the nutritional absorption loss due to our disease and can never find any real information on it. No one really knows how much we lose out of what we eat which sucks big time! Commenting more to follow the thread and see what other people say.
  • Chieflrg
    edited April 2020
    Options
    To be clear, I don't have colitis and I only lost my rectum and a portion of my large intestines. I only lost use of my large intestines during surgeries and treatments though I thought my situation might have slight relevance to the near same problem of nutritional intake.

*Also would like to add resistance training along with more protein(I suggest WHEY in this situation) would be a very good idea to help retain LBM and improve health long term.

Whey is much quicker for the body to absorb so you could not only add calories but protein with EAAs.
  • TallThomas
    Options
    When I had my colostomy I seem to gain weight easier. My gastroenterologist is pressuring me to go back to the bag, but Im not willing to give up yet. I have been on a hugh dose of prednisone and are currently getting Inflectra infusions(to help with inflammation). I actually feel normal! I take a antispasmodic to keel my bowels toned down and it really helps. My calorie intake based on what this app has suggested is 3000 a day. I just had lunch and are barely a 1/3 into my calorie intake. My girlfriend has WHEY at home. How do you guys like to use it? Shakes? In oatmeal?
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I whip my protein powder with some almond milk and fold it into my old fashioned oatmeal. add some berries and nuts and cinnamon. Other mornings I make protein smoothies with bananas, berries, almond milk. I tried adding flax-chia seeds and hemp heart seeds for a fuller meal and it works but concerned seeds actually causing some constipation as seeds maybe not digesting through. I lost 1/3 of my intestine when I was 30yrs. Prednisone was the worse for weight gain, mood swings you name it. *I have issues with retention and bloating and as someone mentioned, I wonder, too, how much is absorbed/digested. At my best of 147 pds and 36% BF, my stomach always wants to retain. smoothies really have made a difference for morning exercise as I can handle that vs eating down whole foods.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Currently I just add(chocolate whey) to water or coffee.

Pre quarantine, I would soak it overnight with steel oats for a pre workout shake.

Usually only two servings per day is recommended which I adhere to because what's left of my large intestines will get a extreme cramp after my training.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I had 100% of my large intestine removed and have an ileostomy (in 2017) but I have Crohn's not colitis. I'm pretty underweight and have lots of trouble gaining. I rely heavily on a j feeding tube but still not really gaining. I also have gastroparesis so that doesn't help but I don't seem to absorb much at all. I'm on humira because my lovely Crohn's returned a few months post op in my stomach
  • TallThomas
    Options
    SiningFlute- So sorry to hear. A friend of mine also has Crohn's. Such a nasty disease. I am certainly thankful that my condition is not any worse. I know I would better off with a colostomy, but just cant bring myslef to do it! I’m gonna have to look up gastroparesis. Prayers to you!