Running vest

hmhill17
hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
edited April 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
I found some fleece jackets by chance about 6 months ago and the best thing about them is the zipper pocket at the chest. Perfect spot for my phone. I'm looking for something similar as a vest for the incoming warmer weather, but I can't find anything that isn't crazy expensive. Needs to be very light because summer here even in the morning is stupid hot. Anyone have something?

Pic of fleece9mbk5guedcsc.jpg

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    In which country do you live? That might help.
  • hmhill17
    US
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Amazon search for "fleece vest chest pocket" brings up some similar ones... You'd have to check the pocket dimensions (hopefully listed, or otherwise addressed in Q&A) (many probably won't fit a modern phone).
  • hmhill17
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Amazon search for "fleece vest chest pocket" brings up some similar ones... You'd have to check the pocket dimensions (hopefully listed, or otherwise addressed in Q&A) (many probably won't fit a modern phone).

I did that, and most of the things either didn't actually have pockets, were going to be too hot, or were priced too high. I searched running vests with pockets and got a lot of hydration vests or backpacks. Only one thing that might work.

I've used armbands in the past, but it's hard to find one that's compatible with large sized phones that actually stays on.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited April 2020
    what about a waist pack/pouch?
  • hmhill17
    what about a waist pack/pouch?

Tried them, feels weird to run with something around my waist. I'm very picky apparently.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    have you tried strapping the phone to your ankle or upper arm using one of bands designed for such? That might be a little less weird than the belt pack.

I've got a few other thoughts that might be useful for you to kick around your mind:

one other thought is , if you can afford it, get the apple watch with the cell plan and if you need to make /receive a call , it's on your wrist and the phone can stay at home.

another other thought is, what kind of risks do you associate with going out to run without your phone at the ready? What kind of emergency support could you realistically provide to another while running?

the last other thought is, i wonder how much more relaxing it would be to run without interruption?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member
    Can you find a sturdy vest or shirt without the pocket, that's suitable for warm weather?

If so, talk to a local tailor/seamstress that does custom work, and show them what kind of pocket you want, and what you want it added to. This should be fairly simple sewing (I could do it pretty easily, if motivated ;) , and I'm merely an experienced amateur at sewing clothing). It might not be all that expensive, and it should be free to ask for an approximate quote.

I'd suggest being prepared to show them a photo of the vest you like, a photo of the vest/shirt type you'd buy and want the pocket added to, and the dimensions of your phone. It's probable that the cheapest way to add it would involve some stitching showing on the outside, but I'm assuming you wouldn't care.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Cycling tops have back pockets deep enough for a phone and come in suitable sweat wicking material.

My lightest top for hot weather is more like a mesh but I also have a triathlon style sleeveless one.
    Have a look at the Castelli Free Tri top as an example.

Beware performance cycling tops are sized quite small and tight fitting for aerodynamics.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Have you looked at hydration vests?
    There are lightweight ones suitable for warm weather, with the added bonus that you can also carry water when it gets really hot.
    The one I use (Nathan Firecatcher) even has a zipper pocket in the same place as your photo. I bought it five years ago, so I don't know if that model is still available anywhere, but you could most likely find something similar.
  • hmhill17
    amy19355 wrote: »

another other thought is, what kind of risks do you associate with going out to run without your phone at the ready? What kind of emergency support could you realistically provide to another while running?

It's a just in case my wife needs me or, more to the point, something happens and I need help. And for music and tracking.

I tried it with the phone in back with an old cycling jacket, still felt weird.

I did fine a reflective strap/vest with a pocket in front that looks like it will do the trick.