to keep them or not?

Options
When you lose weight do you keep the clothes that are too big? I find myself keeping them just incase. I have always done this. I have bins in my closet that are labeled what size clothes they are ranging from 6 to 18. Wondering if I should start tossing them out.

Replies

• blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I toss them out it keeps me on track to keep my weight down and not fall back and gain back. Its all about motivation for me.
  • BA2JDMA
    Options
    I do not keep them. I only keep the "thin" clothes because that is motivation for me.
  • nursesamd
    Options
    I tossed them from my last weight loss (80lbs) as motivation to keep it off. I wish I hadn't, cause I gained it all back!
  • Darcie1970
    Options
    i've held on to my skinny clothes from a couple of years ago , but my fat clothes ..... i will find it very easy to throw them out! i think if you hold on to them you are setting yourself up for failure because in your mind you know you will fit back into them. just a thought :)
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Put aside the comfy clothes (great for workouts, DIY etc) but give the nice clothes to goodwill. or put them on EBAY and make some cash to buy nicer clothes in your new size!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Keeping your skinny clothes is good in case you get sick and loose weight very quickly. Getting rid of fat clothes depends on how good you are at maintaining your weight loss. Yo-yo dieting means that you gain back everything that you loose, even with the best of intentions. Maybe you should hang on to the big clothes for a year or two after you loose, just in case.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I hold onto the really pretty ones. I was kinda in denial about how fat I was anyway - my fat clothes were actually too small for me, they looked okay, but they look way better now I've lost a bit of weight. Still have a long way to go before they're actually too big for me to wear...sadface.
  • ColleenB1980
    ColleenB1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I threw my size 16's out yesterday, it gave me great motivation but there were some outfits i really loved so quite sad to see some go if you know what i mean
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have lived in the same house for over 25 years of our 35 years of marriage. Our kids are grown and gone. Starting last May we have started major declutter campaign from attic to basement. It is slow going and the shedding of things very much parallels the shedding of weight.

In the past, I thought I had done a good job tossing or giving away clothes that didn't fit over the years, but apparently not. So about two weeks ago (when I hit a 60 lb weight loss), I finally went through the stored clothes. This time I was ruthless. I found two blouses I wanted to keep because they fit and brought back happy memories. I sent my sister three favorite dresses in a small size I have no intention of returning to. I threw away three garbage bags of clothes and gave four to Goodwill. I also retained four pairs of wool pants from last winter and have scheduled an appointment with a tailor, because I think they can be taken in and retain their design.

Retrospectively, my saved clothes were not good or bad motivators; they were not a sensitble frugal clothing budget approach, they were just out of fashion detrius and clutter. I have a new rule that I think will work for me. If I haven't worn an everyday clothing item for more than two years and it is not in my current size, regardless whether it was perfect for me at one time, I will toss or donate it depending on condition.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I get rid of them. I know I won't ever need them again because I can stick to this lifestyle for the rest of my life.

I have saved a couple as a reminder of how big I used to be, though!
  • Jess5825
    Options
    I Have lost a good deal of weight in the past 8 months, and I now have bags of clothes in my room that are too big. I don't know why I can't make myself drop them off at one of those clothes bins. When I have the need for wintery/fall clothes, I'm going to do a major clean out (all of my clothes in my closet are too big) and get rid of it all, because I'll need new stuff for the winter. Though what I've been doing it keeping the next size up clothes for sleepwear. I don't wear pajamas to sleep, I just wear pants and a t shirt, so they are fine to wear to bed. WHo cares if they are too big to sleep in, right...LOL
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just started another bag yesterday. My ex-sister-in-law dropped by. She ended up with three new items that she loved. I was happy they were making someone else so happy.!
  • nutmegnc0306
    nutmegnc0306 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find they go out of style while I'm not wearing them...
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I plan to donate all of it except for one of my biggest shirts/pants. I never want to see these sizes again!
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    NO. I had clothes saved from when i was smaller luckily that has helped but i got rid of my big clothes. I hope to never go back
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my bigger size jeans, and now the fact that my new size is a bit hard to button is the motivation I needed to get it in gear again and stick to the healthy eating & exercise! If I had the old jeans to fall back on (or into), I might not be as motivated. I donated all my bigger sizes to my favorite thrift store.