NEAT during lockdown

Options
Does anyone have any tips to up my movement during lockdown? I was a lot more active a month ago and now I hardly move apart from purposeful exercise once or twice a day. Help!!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Set a timer to get you up and move around every hour for 10 minutes or so.

I taught myself to be a fidgeter. I was, at one time, able to sit for hours at a time, not anymore. I can’t sit still. Lol

Do you have closets that need organizing or windows that need washing? Find things to do to keep you moving, it doesn’t need to be actual exercise.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,711 Member
    Options
    Use the furthest bathroom, walk in place or do an exercise while waiting for food to heat, fidget (I'm currently on a rocking love seat and it's almost impossible for me not to rock it), walk around the house while on the phone, I started using my laptop at the counter when going online and walking/dancing at the same time in the mornings while drinking my coffee, if you go to the store park further away. Don't try to carry everything at once to save time.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Yes, set a timer! I do it. 10 minute break and I do mini burst workouts throughout the day. It adds up!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm working from home, so I'm actually supposed to be in front of my computer, rather than clean my house or paint walls or other things that would allow me to move. I miss the long bike rides to work, and the 15 minute walks from the office to the usual lunch place and back..

Like others wrote, I also have a timer (well, my fitbit's "reminder to move") set to notify me once per hour. Then I walk around a bit. 18-20 steps from the living room to the apartment door if I run, around 30 if I carefully walk backwards. Five times there and back and I have the 250 steps that make my fitbit happy for another hour...

When I'm in a zoom meeting, I sometimes mute my microphone and do squats or walk in place when someone else is talking for an extended time. I try to get some cardio exercise during the lunch break and just eat a quick sandwich afterwards (I'm working at the dining table anyway), and some strength training in the evening.

I just need to make sure the little get-up-and-move-walks don't end up in front of the fridge! ^^
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I pace during conference calls. My daily steps have doubled now that I don't have to sit during long, boring meetings. I logged over 5000 steps before 9:30 this morning.
  • jasmine_belle
    jasmine_belle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow! Some great ideas, thanks everyone. I've dug out my old fitbit so hopefully that'll motivate me. I tried the laundry idea, when hanging everything outside to dry earlier I took one item at a time. Who cares what the neighbours think?! 😂
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    When doing your laundry, fold one item at a time then go put it away. The constant back and forth will help burn some extra calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Also if you have stairs, climb up and down at least once an hour.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Walk around the house or apartment complex for each bathroom usage, and before making any meal - as if taking the long way to do those things.
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I stand in front of my computer instead of sitting. It is up on a box on my desk, and there are a couple of ltitle carpet squares in front of the desk for me to stand on. While I am online, which is much of the day, I can walk in place, dance around to tunes, and it adds up. I am watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer again and I try to dance for minutes at a time while watching it, using the minutes timer of the actual show to keep track--so I may start dancing a bit in place when it says 4:00 or something, and then i know that when it reaches 14:00, that it's been ten minutes. I logged a lot of minutes yesterday doing that sort of thing. Good luck to all!
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Also if you have stairs, climb up and down at least once an hour.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I use the upstairs bathroom for that purpose even though I am downstairs most of the day--to get the exercise from going there and back. It works fine for me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options