Lost weight. More calories?

Options
So I’ve lost almost 60lbs since starting my diet at the end of January. I was eating 1800 calories or less a day plus exercising. I have my goals set up to lose a pound a week with little effort. (Even though I am on my feet 8-10 hours a day moving, plus I exercise after work.) I’m sure other people do the same thing. Anyway, I updated my weight today (and my goal, since I hit my previous goal) and now the app says I need 2000 calories? I’m not sure why. I still have a lot to lose, why does it indicate that I need more calories? Shouldn’t it be less?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Hopefully one of the mfp vets jumps in and offers a better explanation, but I was messing around with my own numbers and right now:
    Sedentary lifestyle 2 lbs a week 210 lbs gives me 1200 calories.
    If I put in maintain at my goal weight 140 it gives me 1700 calories.
    So, maybe it's more the closer you get to your goal weight, for maintenance?

Congrats on the 60 lb loss that's amazing!
  • anicolemast
    anicolemast Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did double check those things and nothing was changed.. I don’t plan on eating more calories anyway. Very rarely made it to 1800, but I was curious as to what people thought. Thank you for your ideas!
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Tbh I find the numbers MFP suggests painfully low
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    Tbh I find the numbers MFP suggests painfully low

normally when that is brought up the questions are:
    1) is your activity level set correctly or did you default to sedentary
    2) did you select an appropriate rate of weight loss or did it default to 2lbs a week
    3) are you eating back exercise calories (MFP calorie recommendations do not include purposeful exercise)

i'm sure i'm preaching to the choir - but for others out there - also MFP is essentially a calculator - and while the majority of people will fall into a standard 2 deviation from the mean, there are outliers. I know that @AnnPT77 is one of them who burns 2-300 more calories that someone her age should based on MFP calculator

that is where monitoring trends etc become important
  • LJRS2019
    LJRS2019 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    kam3190 wrote: »
    For me I couldnt magine eating 1800 calories its just too low. As an obese woman who works 8 to 10 hours a day on her feet amd has 5 children I refuse to eat under 2000 calories . I dont want to be miserable . I eat between 2000 amd 2700 calories a day and lose 1 to 2 lbs a week.

I am similar. MFP put me on 1460. I have lost 10lb in 2 weeks and have actually ended up eating 1600 cals a day on average. Slowly working out my maximum over time.