Runners - I need your help!

Options
I want to take up jogging as, with the current circumstances, I’ve temporarily moved in with my boyfriend and have been really slack with exercising! I have some running gear with me but I’m a useless jogger, I start going for 10 min runs every 2 days for about a week and a half and then give up because my shins hurt 😆 does any regular runners have any tips they could please share to make me fall in love with running? Thank you in advance x

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Look up a couch to 5k plan, and if possible get fitted for a good pair of running shoes.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I did the C25K program and got shin splints. A couple things I did to help it go away;

- Got fitted for running shoes at a running shoe store. Best thing I ever did for my fitness.
    - Read an article on correct running form. Turns out I was striding too far, slamming my leg down hard and causing stress to my legs. Taking shorter strides and focusing on heal-to-toe landing of my foot was key.
    - Take rest days between runs. Over training will do it every time.

Just building up strength in the legs will help. That’s why the C25K program is so good, you build up slowly.

Good luck!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I had horrendous shin splints when I started - echoing the advice to get fitted for shoes (our local store is doing virtual fittings by asking for video of different, specific movements and angles... not sure if others are offering that as well or not). Also, I had a pretty heavy heel strike. I started researching stride and running styles, and ended up at a minimalist running store (my shoes aren’t thin like barefoot, they are nicely cushioned, but they have a lower drop)... between the shoes and the coaching on my stride I was able to slowly transition and can run longer and faster than I thought would be possible! (Longest run has been 4 miles without stopping... if you would have told me that when I first started C25K I would have laughed).

Oh, and compression socks/sleeves are fabulous for both during the run and recovery. You can also ice your shins to help as well.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Good advice above I hope you find something above to help you continue running.

1. Shoes - get a pair fit to your gait and needs. If that can't be done now, get a cushioned pair of new shoes but get a fitted pair once things are back to normal.
    2. Use a program such as C25K, which will start you with short running intervals and work you up to running 30 minutes.
    3. Run slow. Very slow. You should be able to speak a short sentence out loud while running. If you cannot do this, you are running too fast. You will feel as if you are running too slow but you are not. You need to build up your stamina now. Speed will come later....much later.
    4. Don't run more than 3 times a week. You need the rest days to let your muscles heal and prepare for the next run.

Most of all, enjoy the time running.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Run slow, and even slower. What @PaytraB said about being able to talk when running. By running slow you build the stamina you need for longer runs and your muscles get used to it gradually. There's no point in wrecking yourself. I know it's tempting to go too fast, but it doesn't help in the long run. I started with a run earlier this week with the aim of going slow and finally get further than 5k. Well, my heartrate went to 80% max within 600m and close to 90% for most of the run. I just about managed 5k, and wrecked myself in the process. Stupid. (note: I do know my maxHR, and I'm not super fit at the moment)
  • samanthaharri18
    samanthaharri18 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! X
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,787 Member
    Options
    One thing which helps with shin splints also is to change the angle (ie lift) of the shoe. Whenever my shins start to hurt I make sure to use flatter sandals to walk around the rest of the day. Also, for me it is a SIGN when a pair of shoes has lost their lifetime that my shin starts to hurt. I second the couch to 5K program and even start a little slower and just do 15 minutes of it every day for a week and then the next week do it the way it's written. The rest days are important as well as proper running shoes.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    One thing which helps with shin splints also is to change the angle (ie lift) of the shoe. Whenever my shins start to hurt I make sure to use flatter sandals to walk around the rest of the day. Also, for me it is a SIGN when a pair of shoes has lost their lifetime that my shin starts to hurt. I second the couch to 5K program and even start a little slower and just do 15 minutes of it every day for a week and then the next week do it the way it's written. The rest days are important as well as proper running shoes.

I would not recommend doing C25k daily, even for 15 min, especially if someone is having physical issues. First, be able to walk briskly for 45 min before starting it. Then do week 1 with shorter run intervals to ramp up slower, but keep the same frequency as laid out in the plan.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't run - very old injury.
    But as mentioned above - walk !
    Hiking/backpacking can be very strenuous -think army- and your partner may try too.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you want to go for longer, try walking one minute very light running for one minute. The walking will also help to increase your strength so that the shin splints stop.
    Agree w the shoes comment (I buy mine on amazon) but if you can’t the blue Dr Scholls inserts will probably help for about 2 months (depending on the current condition of your shoes). I use them to extend the life of my running shoes.
    Ice your shins. Take a ice cube and just run it over your shins until completely melted. At least twice a day for a week. I’d personally also take Motrin/Advil to keep the swelling down. Walking until they stop isn’t a bad idea and will still increase your stamina for running if you want to run. 👍🏼 You got this!
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I started running when I was 25. I was a total newb, super out of shape, and it changed my life! Stick to it and go slow, you’ll get there!