Learning to Accept Slow Progess

Options
This is just a general observation. I have been on MFP now since January and I'm extremely happy with the website. Before I started here, I tried and failed (twice) to do the Atkins diet. I saw the weight peeling off rapidly week by week, but in the end I gained it back when I craved the foods I couldn't have. I also felt like if I didn't lose 4+ pounds a week that I was doing something wrong. So I ate less and ended up sabotaging myself even further.

One thing I have learned at MFP is to be happy with a 2 pound weight loss in one week. If I only do 1 pound, I'm still happy. I don't feel like I've failed even if I don't even lose one single pound. This is the biggest difference between other diets and the calorie counting diet. When you count calories, you are on track for a slow but successful weight loss. I know that if I can maintain a 1-2 pound weight loss over a few weeks that once I reach my goal weight I'll be able to maintain that too. In a sense, you're setting your body up for success by allowing it to adjust slowly to the new, healthier you.

I guess I write this today because I finally reached (and passed) my 20 pound weight loss mark! Goal #1 achieved! Slow and steady will surely win the race. And I continually find motivation in my progress as well as the stories and progress of everyone on here. Keep up the good work everyone!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This is just a general observation. I have been on MFP now since January and I'm extremely happy with the website. Before I started here, I tried and failed (twice) to do the Atkins diet. I saw the weight peeling off rapidly week by week, but in the end I gained it back when I craved the foods I couldn't have. I also felt like if I didn't lose 4+ pounds a week that I was doing something wrong. So I ate less and ended up sabotaging myself even further.

One thing I have learned at MFP is to be happy with a 2 pound weight loss in one week. If I only do 1 pound, I'm still happy. I don't feel like I've failed even if I don't even lose one single pound. This is the biggest difference between other diets and the calorie counting diet. When you count calories, you are on track for a slow but successful weight loss. I know that if I can maintain a 1-2 pound weight loss over a few weeks that once I reach my goal weight I'll be able to maintain that too. In a sense, you're setting your body up for success by allowing it to adjust slowly to the new, healthier you.

I guess I write this today because I finally reached (and passed) my 20 pound weight loss mark! Goal #1 achieved! Slow and steady will surely win the race. And I continually find motivation in my progress as well as the stories and progress of everyone on here. Keep up the good work everyone!

• Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    You are awesome!!!!! Congrats on your loss & your great attitude about it!!! You are so right...slow & steady wins the race!!!:flowerforyou: Keep on rockin'!!!!!!!:drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I too joined here in Jan and I'm no where near what you've lost. Hats odd to you, I hope for a loss of anykind this week:tongue:
  • mutkin
    mutkin Posts: 109
    Options
    I agree with your sentiment. Slow is the only way to make it part of a lifestyle (gah...i kinda hate that word) instead of a diet that will inevitably end. I have my calorie goal set for 1.5 lbs a week, but I'm lucky and happy if I lose just a 1/2 pound. However, that's because I've learned that it's more important to me to enjoy my social life (including some of the tasty treats that come with it) and lose slowly than to be strict and lose quickly.

I'm in it for the long haul.
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    I so agree with your comment and would like to add the following

It really comes down to moderation, portion control, your relationship with food and not feeling bad when you treat yourself.

So many of us haven't grasped that concept and will never get to our goal because of it. Turn on the T.V. at night and what you find is take this to lose weight, drink that to lose weight. I have found only a few that talk about what is important; it's not always what you eat but how much of it and how often.

True weight loss takes time, patience, work, education, love and support...

Remember giving things up isn't the best course of action because so many of us deprive ourselves to save a few calories and maybe lose one more pounds. What's happening is that you have a "Melt down" and eat all the stuff you are depriving yourself and now you feel even worse.

Enjoy life, food, drink, etc., but do it wisely. Think before you consume anything how will this affect me in the long run NOT how many pounds will I gain by eating/drinking this.

Read, Read, Read the labels because the high end products are not always your better choice.

Sugar free, fat free, low carb, low sodium, etc doesn't always mean you should buy it. Substitute sugar, butter, fat, salt isn't always the best choice. Education is the key!!

View advertisements as what they are advertisements, try not to get sucked in. Ask yourself, when do they play the McD commercial? They play it at night when we are weak. I love BK but I have learned that it's not a good choice for my body no matter what I buy and should limit that "treat" for maybe once every other month. As hard as they try to tell us they are making things better the progress is slowing moving.

Don't get me wrong more and more companies are starting to realize they need to change the way they think but they are few.

I have been struggling with my weight for 5-6 years and I finally came to terms with emotional baggage attached to it. I finally understand that I was my own worst enemy but I'm learning and so are my kids. They check the back of boxes for sugar content now causing them to make better choice's, it’s not much but it's a start.

Be good to yourself inside and out and celebrate the 1/2 pound you lost this week because you lost it; don't feel bad because you had a cookie or a piece of cake. Learn to enjoy the foods you love by making better selections. You can still have Chocolate Cake especially when you make it better.