What does “clean eating” mean to you?

Options
Hi all,

Out of curiosity, for those who follow a “clean eating” way of life, what does that actually mean to you?

I’ve heard the term thrown around so loosely and differently that I wanted to see what the consensus from the general population says. (No right or wrong answer in my opinion: language is a living thing, always changing and evolving so no surprise something like this could be fluid too)

(some say clean eating is only eating whole foods, some say vegetarian whole foods, or whole food plant-based, or vegans that are also soy/gluten/sugar free, etc.)

So what’s is to you?

Happy Friday!

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I always wondered what it means, too. Glad you asked.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My in-laws are vegan and claim they are eating clean but they sure ain’t. Iv read the packaging on their vegan meats, cheese etc and it’s so processed and full of sugars and fillers.
    In my opinion clean eating is eating whole unprocessed foods like a variety of meats, veges and fruits, grains and raw dairy.
    I don’t really like the term clean eating though, I think it’s important to eat a variety of food and not deprive yourself of things because they are not “clean”. Like seriously what’s a life without pizza and cake....
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Not a thing.
    Food is food.
    Eat what you want keeping in mind nutrition and calorie goals.
    “Clean Eating” is a gimmick phrase.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, for those who follow a “clean eating” way of life, what does that actually mean to you?

Nothing really, since people use it in such highly variable ways. I think my normal diet fits a "clean eating" pattern from what I've seen from those who use the term, but I don't find it a sensible or helpful concept, especially when it's supposed to be NO processed foods, since I don't think there's anything wrong with plenty of processed foods, don't really see why "NO, never, at any time" is a useful way to approach diet (vs context and moderation), and many of the foods those who claim to be "clean eating" actually eat are, of course, processed (it's especially amusing to me when protein powder is claimed to be non processed).

I think most, not all, who use it largely mean eating a healthful diet and mostly but not entirely from whole foods cooked at home, and in that sense -- like I said -- it's pretty much how I like to eat, but I really don't get the appeal of the term "clean eating," as if other ways of eating are "dirty" or as if diet choice has a moral connotation.

Agreed ma'am with all of this. I also chuckle at people drinking hydrolyzed whey and saying it's only lightly processed! Just drink the damn milkshake and enjoy...
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I don't use the term....I just concentrate on a nutritionally balanced diet with higher protein and do not deny myself treats in moderation.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So what’s is to you?

I don't care for the term either, but most of my food is probably in that category.

Last year I was obese, with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I was eating a candy bar and a small bag of potato chips a day (about 1000 calories for both). I cut out that kind of food because when I eat it all the time, I want it all the time.

I don't miss it and don't feel deprived. I can have a bowl of ice cream or piece of cake at a birthday party a few times a year now and don't want more afterwards.

My weight is normal now. I fit in my clothes. My blood pressure and cholesterol numbers are good, too. I don't like to cook, so I tend to eat what I call simple food, like salads with a protein where I know the calories and ingredients. I stay away from high salt, high fat, and added sugar for my health. I don't want to take medication if I can control my health problems myself.

This works for me. I'm not a snob and could care less what other people eat.