How Can I Eat Healthy And Cheap?

Options
As a college student I have a very limited budget for food. It's so easy to buy food that is bad for you simply because it is cheaper. The price of fresh produce and quality cereals, yogurts, and other food is a little high for me. I know I can manage to spend less on other things to afford good food, but how what should I be eating that is healthy and cheap? The only stores within walking distance from me (I don't have a car since I'm in the city) is Whole Foods (obviously expensive) and Shaws. (generic grocery store for those who don't have Shaws) but there is no Walmart or Target that I could go to for discounted food.

Replies

• Luna_Ivoree
    Options
    I am right there with you! Between my 40 hour work week and full time college schedule, I can't find time to cook a healthy meal or time to exercise! It's frustrating because everyone's "key to success" is working out!
  • Dohrnl
    Dohrnl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This might sound like a lot of work, but write your favorite healthy brands and tell them you are a college student wanting to eat healthy but can't because of the price. Usually companies will send you coupons.
  • simplyychaos
    Options
    This might sound like a lot of work, but write your favorite healthy brands and tell them you are a college student wanting to eat healthy but can't because of the price. Usually companies will send you coupons.

Really? That might have to go on my to-do list. I lovee coupons.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you can make beans your primary protein source (1 cup a day would be a good target). You can buy canned.. try to get the no salt added variety if you can... rinse well before using.

Can't get cheaper than beans.

Salad greens and soups (low sodium) would also be good staples.
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal
    Canned veggies
    soups
    tuna
    tea and water
    chicken
    yogurt
    popcorn
    apples
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I supplement and have my meats cooked for the week. I wrap in Aluminum and take out 3 per day add the veggies or salad and its a quick cheap fix.
  • cmduncan
    Options
    I've found that some of the "healthier" brands that carry hefty price tags are not always much better for you. For example, I was buying Kashi cereals until I discovered that regular old Corn Flakes are actually better for you and you can get a much larger box for less money. Lettuce is cheep (usually $1-$2 for on head) and even though the healthier dressings are usually refrigerated and more expensive, if you're actually measuring your servings then they'll last for a while. Just buy smartly - weigh how much something costs with its nutritional (not just calorie) content and purchase the best thing you can on your budget.
  • _Sally_
    Options
    Oatmeal
    Canned veggies
    soups
    tuna
    tea and water
    chicken
    yogurt
    popcorn
    apples

good list... I just wouldn't go overboard on tuna, though... Mercury. Once a week, max. Also, yogurt should be plain variety. Way too much sugar in any of the flavored kinds.
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I know as a college student I can't buy organic. Some times I can-but most of the time I don't. Otherwise I either choose between buying groceries or going out to eat. Buy a sub or a burger will actually amount to more money than I would shell out at a grocery store buying healthy quality food.

Also-only buy one drink at a bar saves lots a money too. I don't know if your a drinker but things like that-buying water bottles, gum, candy, and coffee really put a hole in my pocket. It's hard but I know this semester I'll be cutting a few of those things out.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Do you live in an apartment or a dorm'?

I'm gong to assume apartment. Shop the sales and use coupons!!! Go online to get them, no need to buy a Sunday paper.

Plan your whole week's meals based on what is on sale. When frozen veggies are on sale --- STOCK UP!!

Here is my budget meal plan in general terms:

Breakfast: Oatmeal w/ frozen fruit (I stock up when it is on sale) or apples (((Oatmeal is cheap, cheap, cheap per serving and very good for you)

Lunch: Left overs from supper the night before

Supper: Lean Protein (whatever was on sale that week --- chicken, fish, pork loin, etc), frozen veggies, 1/2 serving of a potato (more if I have the calories)

Snacks are yogurt, whatever fresh fruit is in season (apples are always cheap it seems if all else fails), and seasonal veggies if the price is right.

Trick is to shop the outer part of the store - don't go in for the expensive cereals, don't go for the frozen meals, etc. They are just too expensive when you are on a budget.

Eating like this takes a little time, but not much. Most lean proteins are 10 - 15 minutes cook time. Frozen veggies go in the microwave and you can do the potato in the microwave too. Brown Rice is also cheap and good substitute for the potato for a grain.
  • JohnnyStorm
    JohnnyStorm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is CHEAP and one of the healthiest grains available.
  • _Sally_
    Options
    Also... try just squeezing fresh lemon juice on salads instead of dressing. Salad dressings have all kinds of chemicals and preservatives, in addition to extra calories you don't really need. I find that fresh squeezed lemon works well on salads and steamed veggies, etc. Lemons are very alkalizing for your body, as well.
  • soifua
    Options
    if you have a crockpot, I'd purchase dry beans and make it in the crockpot, freeze what you don't eat.

popcorn kernels - put 2 tablespoons in a brown paper bag, roll the top a couple times and microwave it for a couple minutes

yogurt - buy in larger containers and portion it out, you can buy plain and mix in jam or honey to sweeten, thicken your yogurt by putting a coffee filter in a small colander (or a large funnel) fill with yogurt and put in the fridge for a couple hours, you get really thick yogurt and can use it in place of sour cream

rolled oats

watch watch watch your sales adds that come out every week, shop your expensive items (meats, dairy & produce) by whats on sale
  • IAmTheAwesomest
    Options
    aw man a walmart would save you big bucks but since that's not possible here are some ideas.
    frozen fruits and veggies they are just as healthy as fresh, no salt added canned veggies, pasta and marina sauce (not really high if you measure it out properly), whole wheat breads, raisins, light butter popcorn (orville is 300 calories for the entire bag) and generic yogurts.
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    Options
    COUPONS!!! lol Go to their website and request coupons. Also, try to get them on sale + a coupon. When they are, buy 2 or 3. Check your stores coupon policy and you might be able to double them up, and ask if they double them as well. Make a list, it always helps me stay on target with the price next to it so I know exactly how much I am going to spend and how much I am allowing myself to go over (usually $10). Last but not least, try to buy your fruits and veggies in season at a Farmers market (muuuuch cheaper!) Good luck! I am a mother, wife, student, and FT employee. I HAVE to save my pennies!
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    Options
    :happy:
  • IAmTheAwesomest
    Options
    Do you live in an apartment or a dorm'?

I'm gong to assume apartment. Shop the sales and use coupons!!! Go online to get them, no need to buy a Sunday paper.

Plan your whole week's meals based on what is on sale. When frozen veggies are on sale --- STOCK UP!!

Here is my budget meal plan in general terms:

Breakfast: Oatmeal w/ frozen fruit (I stock up when it is on sale) or apples (((Oatmeal is cheap, cheap, cheap per serving and very good for you)

Lunch: Left overs from supper the night before

Supper: Lean Protein (whatever was on sale that week --- chicken, fish, pork loin, etc), frozen veggies, 1/2 serving of a potato (more if I have the calories)

Snacks are yogurt, whatever fresh fruit is in season (apples are always cheap it seems if all else fails), and seasonal veggies if the price is right.

Trick is to shop the outer part of the store - don't go in for the expensive cereals, don't go for the frozen meals, etc. They are just too expensive when you are on a budget.

Eating like this takes a little time, but not much. Most lean proteins are 10 - 15 minutes cook time. Frozen veggies go in the microwave and you can do the potato in the microwave too. Brown Rice is also cheap and good substitute for the potato for a grain.

oh yeah I forgot COUPONS! it's also a major saver
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    yeah i agree with Dohrnl. try using coupons! and also try buying generic brand stuff instead. for example, instead of buying whole wheat pasta from a popular name brand, use shaw's whole wheat pasta. Its more likely to be cheaper but theyre both whole wheat pasta, right?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Eggs, lean burger (the tubes are cheaper I've noticed), brown rice, store brand whole wheat past, full sized, non-prepped carrots and celery, green leaf lettuce (the washed, chopped and bagged stuff is much more expensive). Watch sales on fruit and veggies. Frozen berries are cheaper than fresh. Whole chickens are cheaper than breasts.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Ok - because I'm bored and I LOVE a challenge, I did some work for you. This is before coupons (and one that stuck out is sign up for e-mails and get $5 off your bill). Assuming just you and going off this week's ads:

Oatmeal (not on sale) - $5 (at most)
    Apples (not on sale) - $5

This will feed you ALL your breakfasts and have lots left over in the oatmeal for upcoming weeks ($10)

Dannon Greek Yogurt 10 - $10 (not sure if you can buy fewer, check your store policy, most will let you buy just what you need)
    If you need to go cheaper, you can get Yoplait Light 10 for $6
    Bag of baby carrots - $2.50
    Watermelon - $6 (or just do two bags of baby carrots and don't buy the watermelon)

This will feed you all your snacks ($13-19)

10 ears of fresh corn (corn freezes. Boil 1/2 of it, cut off ears and freeze for later use) - $2
    4 bags Steamfresh veggies - $8 (you can find these cheaper, but I'm assuming you have nothing in the freezer now)
    10 cans of tuna (go ahead and buy them all they keep, unless you don't have the money) - $10
    Cook's Ham Steak (will make at least 2 meals) - $3.49
    Morning Star meatless burgers (4 meals) - $5
    Jenny O Turkey BOGO 20 oz (you'll definitely need to freeze since you'll have 40 oz or 10 servings) - $6.00

this will feed lunches and dinners and have left overs - $25

So that is a week's worth of food with plenty of left overs to stock the freezer for under $50 for the entire week. Next week, you wouldn't need to buy anything for breakfast. I'm sure with a bit of coupon cutting and taking a look at the ad yourself (I only spent about 5 minutes if that), you could get it down even further.