Any 40+ with 40+ lbs to lose?

Options
Hi,
I’ve used MFP in the past but I’m new to the Community. Thought I’d give it a try as need some extra support and motivation. I’m doing far too much comfort eating since lockdown started. Reading some of the threads I can tell I’m not alone. The daily dog walks with my two kids sadly aren’t shaking off the pounds. I’d love to find some accountability buddies to check in with and share encouragement and ideas with. What days are you all doing weigh-ins? Do you find daily, weekly or monthly works best to keep you motivated?

Replies

• kristophermonty
    kristophermonty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new as of today. I am 45 and am trying to figure this app out. I as well need someone to hold me accountable and keep me motivated. I do not have any experience with working out so will definitely be researching and asking questions. Just starting to warm up in Wisconsin so am able to be outside more during the pandemic. Hope you have success in your journey.
    KRIS
  • shellybewalking
    shellybewalking Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :)
  • kayakart69
    kayakart69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi guys, this app is great, you can plug in recipes, and sync with "map my walk". much more effective record keeping. I am down 16 pounds since october or so and taking the tac that slow and steady wins the race. for good. :) ps i am turning 51 in july.
  • nmuller4739
    nmuller4739 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been on MFP for a couple of years off and on, but never have been part of the community. I realize though that I really need an accountability friend (or several!) For my 60+lb journey. I'm 51 with a sitting job.
  • lbrules
    lbrules Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello! On and off again with MFP and lots of different weight loss programs. I am 49, 186 lbs and really need to get back my 145lb weight. Last January I severely broke my leg, so up up up went the weight and down down down went the excercising. I need a lot of motivation and help getting there again! I also have a mostly sitting job. Now with Covid 19 don't go anywhere.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Exercise band,Youtube dance exercise videos, walk indoors, jump rope. Of course normal Mom stuff. Text my oldest Navy Daughter 20yrs old biological kid y youngest is 3yrs old biological. Raised 9 kids total only 2 are biological only 1 younger than Daughter rest are much older than her.
    At the age taking care of elderly in-laws y my Dad (mom passed already). Spend the day bleaching counters to cooking with what we can find in stores now. Got lucky last run. Auto immune issues to a Csection birth nightmare so lots to work in health wise. Got up to 40push ups!! That’s a huge accomplishment with a T-Cut (yes there rate) Csection cut. 4hip to hip 1 up y down they went back in through the navel for more post birth operations so huge ugly scar I been working on with scrubbing the scar tissue away to lotion lots of witch hazel when it was healing up. Looking less y less noticeable . Daughter hunts for products for it to my teeth lol 😂 not going to make me look younger but pampering is nice!

Doctor recommended this site for his geriatric post partums. He knew how to make me feel old lol. I have lost 50lbs so far.
  • tgraves1972
    tgraves1972 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello..... I have been on and off diets for years. As I begin to approach 50, I’m feeling the effects of being overweight a hundred times over. Being stuck at home is not helping at all. Today, I decided it is time to grab the bull by the horns. I cleaned my house of unhealthy food, downloaded MFP and have a walking companion to keep me accountable for physical activity every morning at 9:00am. I have to dig down deep to keep myself motivated and get off the diet roller coaster once and for all. Any words of advice or encouragement is appreciated. If anyone is interested in adding me as a friend for support I welcome it :smiley:
  • nmuller4739
    nmuller4739 Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I hit the big 50 last year, but also have yo yo dieted for years. Im currently working from home which is not helping matters! 15 steps to the refrigerator :) I have a gym membership which I'll restart once restrictions are lifted but continue to struggle with consistency. Would love to share support on our journey for permanent success.
  • dawnlmidge89
    dawnlmidge89 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello i'm Dawn been on MFP previous but never did the community. But i was also doing another program and asked why pay for something you can get for free? So i canceled and came back to MFP. Looking to find friends, help others and to also loose the weight that i have gained. I also see a nutritionist monthly to stay on board with my journey. I am currently following her plan and seems to be working. Now to focus on myself and be friends and helpful to others. I am 49 years old with 4 grown children. Looking for success and help were need be. I walk for an hour everyday to get my excercise in and it is great.
  • BellaBee44
    BellaBee44 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    kristophermonty- I've found this app to be really helpful. I just need to download some willpower next. I'm in Yorkshire UK we're getting some sun at long last so we've been out for a walk today. Hope you have success.

shellybewalking- :)

kayakart69- Well done on the 16lbs loss! I've not used map my walk, I'll have to have a look at it. There are some step challenges on here too I should probably try.

nmuller4739- Like you, I've yo yo dieted for years. Maybe the community support will be the help we need to keep going with this. I'm working from home whilst home schooling my two kids because of lock down so I'm doing far too much time sitting. I need to walk away from the fridge! :D

lbrules- That's tough injuring your leg. Good for you getting back at it though.

JRsLateInLifeMom- 50lbs loss is fantastic! I need to find some YouTube exercise videos to do. Are there any you'd recommend? I've been trying to keep up with the daily Joe Wicks ones when the kids do it.

tgraves1972- It is hard to stay motivated being stuck inside. Trying to walk at the same time every day definitely helps keep a bit of routine. We need to clear the unhealthy food out of our house. Its too much temptation.

dawnlmidge89- I agree about the other apps out there some of them are such a silly price too. My main goal at the moment is to make sure I walk for the full hour every day. I'm hoping to get back to the gym when life gets back to normal.
  • fdgrazie
    fdgrazie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to the discussions here on myfitnesspal. I turned 48 this year and hit a depression about my health and weight; I was 294 lbs. My husband did research and found a weight loss clinic about 2 hours away and I began there. I have NAFLD stage 2, Gerd 3 and pre-diabetic along with other health problems. After about a month, the Dr recommended a full bypass. This scared my husband and I but we found that it would reverse the liver disease as well as the gerd and clear me completely of the diabetes.

My requirements for insurance are strict and I need to keep up with weight loss for the next six month with many other stipulations. I have a lot of Drs and dieticians as well as fitness instructor helping me and I'm down to 280 in the last two months. My appts are now online and other things are being held off but I'm dedicated to staying on track and learning how to eat in a healthy way for optimal success. There are no choices now but to change everything to prolong my life.

This place is a good place to try to keep up with this while using the other tools I have with my Drs. Happy to be here and meet everyone!