Losing weight + buying clothes

Options
Since it is Labor Day weekend, there are HUGE sales going on.

My question is, have any of you bought clothes in smaller sizes so that it gives you motivation to get to that size??

Replies

• kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    yes....and most of them ended up at a charity shop :(
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have, once. It didn't get me started. I didn't buy it to motivate myself per say; I got it because I loved the design, but they didn't have one at my then-current size. So I thought, well, this weight has got to come off eventually, so might as well buy the one they have.

Then I forgot all about it, started losing weight (motivated by something completely unrelated), and found it in the corner of my closet. It fit. :happy:
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Never---there is much more pleasure if you reach your gaol first and then go shopping :)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Yes! My favorite dress only had the size smaller than what I was. I bought it and made it my goal to fit into it...worked. :) This was for PROM!
  • mdperry
    Options
    I would much rather go shopping after I hit my goal. I'm going to set back money after every small goal I hit and then, go on a shopping spree when I'm done.
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    No Ive never done it either. I always buy clothes that also look good loose, or that you can wear a belt around your waist when u lose the weight and still look fine
  • Nancyhusanu
    Options
    yes....and most of them ended up at a charity shop :(

Me too! :(
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yes, all the time.
    Now I have three chest drawers full of things I am waiting to fit in to - and nothing to wear now! :sad:
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I did this. Now I have several articles of clothing in my closet, still with the tags on them, that are now too BIG! Lesson learned. No matter how adorable something is, I will wait until I am happy with my size for the "special" purchases.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I have been given clothes a bit to small, or when I go to the salvation army or someplace and dont try things on, I like to get a variety of sizes and see what fits and what doesnt when I get home.

I do have a bag of clothes that are close to fitting, but not comfortable, so I will try them on or go through them once a month or as I remember or need some extra motivation or just need an extra item to my current closet selection.

When I try things on and actually go shopping I like to buy what fits and feels good at the time. When something fits well, its not always just the size. One size can fit good in one brand and then another brand will fit but not look or feel good. I have to try things on and see how they fit and feel depending on size, shape, cut, length, color, and everything at the moment. When I am smaller, that shirt may look way different, so I would rather just go shopping again then.

Good luck, and work toward looking good now and feeling comfortable how you are now!!! You cant always wait till that magic number on the scale to finally believe that you look great!! Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • crazynay96
    Options
    funny you wrote about this... I refuse to buy clothes to only stay in them for a week or 2 or 3...

This was my MFP status today:

"another pants size down!!! Was embarrassed (yet excited) when my mother came over with new clothes saying I looked awful walking around in t-shirts and holding up my super baggy jeans the day before (because I refuse to buy more clothes to wear for a week or 2)! Almost out of plus size clothes!!! Just a handful of weeks left at this rate! WOOT WOOT!"

Quite honestly I found it way more rewarding that someone else was like wow you need new clothes so badly and went out and got me some. No idea how she knew what size but its was very nice! Not to say that this'll happen to others but I just assume hold up my pants till I can't do it anymore and wear a t-shirt, especially since I don't go out much (we homeschool and I work at home and my masters program is online) so its just not worth it to me, financially speaking. But to each their own!
  • Samhally
    Options
    I do and have, but only a size or two smaller. It's nice to throw them up In the closet, then when I've lost more weight and have nothing to west, they fit! It's a great boost. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you are very dedicated and on a somewhat structured plan.
  • Claible
    Claible Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    No, I have never bought anything that won't fit now. I do have clothes that my friends and family ( who are also losing weight) have given me. This is my small stash of clothes that I can wear when I get to the next size. But, I still love to go shopping for the new outfit that will now fit me.
  • crazynay96
    Options
    If you don't want to look awful like me, per my mother (though I have to give it to her she was at least honest!), an idea is yardsales.... people get rid of their stuff super cheap and this is THE TIME of the year for them!
  • Samhally
    Options
    And on the idea of garage sales (love them!) also check out goodwill! I've bought s ton of designer clothes for cheap there recently. And if you know won't be I'n a size long, it's not such a pain on your wallet to buy a few new pieces of clothes
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I would much rather go shopping after I hit my goal. I'm going to set back money after every small goal I hit and then, go on a shopping spree when I'm done.

This is my plan too. I want to go out and have a big shopping spree so then everything I get will be all new and will be a huge confidence boost.

I can't wait to pack my bigger clothes up and take them to the charity shop :D
  • jenniferlspies
    Options
    I haven't bought clothing that I cannot fit into, but for pants I always bring two sizes with me into the dressing room anyways because I'm always in-between two sizes (right now it's 8/10). I did buy a pair of dress pants in size 8 even though they were tight across the thighs because they fit perfectly in the waist. I should really try them on and see how they fit now.

Right now, with my budget (working part-time at a grocery store and job hunting), I don't have the money to buy clothes I don't fit into. I've barely had the money to replace everything that is gigantic on me. Thankfully, lots of great deals this year (the JC Penny and Kohls stores in my town have both been remodeling this summer so lots of sales and $10 off coupons).
  • Saksgirl1
    Options
    I did it for the first time in July... Off Fifth was having a HELLA awesome sale and found some REALLY cute things in size 8 (since it was 60% off clearance, how could I say no???) - by the way, I was just getting into a 10 at the time!

Needless to say, I look at those clothes on the days I don't feel like going to the gym... it really helps me!

AND... the skirt ALMOST fits now :):):)
  • spa9177
    spa9177 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I work as a teacher and my birthday was last Thursday so therefore i am going shopping for myself tomorrow. This will keep me motivated and want to work even harder to lose weight and buy more clothes.

3926935.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had plenty of clothes that were too small so they were my inspiration for a while. I think having something smaller to keep trying on is a great motivation. My last goal is my wedding dress from years ago. Yes- crazy I know!