Apple to Garmin

Options
Anyone make the switch and love it/hate it?

I was an avid apple user (series 5) but the battery life was atrocious to me. I just traded it in for a Vivoactive 4. So far it only needs to be charged like once a week which is awesome!!! The only thing I miss is more of the smart features. Hoping I’ll eventually be overjoyed and not regret my decision lol

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I've always thought Garmin got the right balance of enough smart features to let me set my phone down and mostly ignore it, not not so much that it needs more complex software.
  • jonato2014
    jonato2014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well done. Garmin and Fitbit. Are made for fitness in mind. The apple watch is fun and all but battery life of nearly 16 hrs. No bueno. Enjoy your little G4
  • kouponkk
    kouponkk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am on my 3rd Garmin—just picked up the Vivosmart 4 and I love it. I find it very accurate.
  • ADK_1971
    ADK_1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tried many smartwatches over the years (Apple, Moto, Samsung etc), also tried a few fitbits but always come back to Garmin. Had a few Vivoactives and Fenix watches. Currently on a Fenix 6 which has really got me motivated.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I have both. I have an Apple Watch (series 4-which had reasonable battery life until the os update to go with series 5) and a Garmin Fenix 5s plus.

The Apple Watch is a phenomenal smart watch and mediocre fitness tracker. The Garmin is a phenomenal fitness tracker and a pretty poor smart watch.

So I guess it depends on what your focus is. If you want fantastic fitness/training features and tracking, and don’t really use a lot of smart watch elements-then Garmin will be amazing. If you’re content with basic fitness/health tracking and really use a lot of smart watch elements, the Apple Watch is going to be your favorite.

My Apple Watch functions as an extension of my phone with the ability to call/text/use apps/etc. My Garmin tells me I am getting a call/text (if I’m within BT range of my phone). The flip side of those for how it lines up for fitness/health/training. My Garmin tracks my vertical speed when I’m skydiving or hiking/trail running. It estimates my VO2Max and training load day over day (to maximize effective training). It estimates race times from my various collected training metrics and on and on and on. My Apple Watch tells me my time/distance/pace of my run.

So it’s really about what features are the ones you most want.