Hormone Replacement Therapy

I'm just at the beginning stages of HRT. Would love to know if anyone else is dealing with it plus weight loss and if you can tell me anything about how HRT may affect losing weight. I'd like to know what I'm up against.
Thanks.

Replies

• How did hormone replacement work out for you?
  • I was on HRT for a while (3-5yrs maybe more) and I felt great but it makes you gain weight.
    Since 2009 I decided to take myself off it and looked for other alternative ways for dealing with the problem of heavy menstrual cycles hot flushes etc. and now I take Dong-Quai for estrogen and hardly menstruate and evening primrose oil for bloating all of this stems from a result of hypothyroidism. I've been on MFP for a month and I've lost 5lbs. Go to health food stores and get online and check out the alternatives.
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    I love estrogen, but don't like progesterone. P makes me fatter. E in the correct dose just makes everything better. Done it for several years now and I have to be aware and conscious about what I'm doing with it. I don't believe it works well for women who want a quick fix and then don't pay attention to what needs to be adjusted. It's also not great if a woman is frightened and jumpy about it. Get your info from people who are referring to good studies and mostly FDA approved HRT. Sommers is not a credible source, for example. People selling progesterone cream have no science to support their claims. Read, read, read, and go to the hard sources first. The doc at www.herplace.com at least refers to science and FDA approved stuff in her books. She's also on a site called Buzz on Bioidenticals too. Looks ok as a start..... Production values aren't high, but gloss isn't necessarily what you want. Sommers has gloss, ugh.

I'm 50 and losing weight more easily than ever in my life, but I'm also eating more fat (at least 100 g a day) and getting enough protein. HRT alone didn't fix the weight and P made it worse as it makes me more insulin resistant. I've been very low carb/keto since March. Dropped grains and finally diary. The most processed thing I eat is coconut milk. Meat, salmon, pemmican, coconut milk, veggies.... pretty simple. Oh, and red wine and dark chocolate on occasion. This is my dealio for my body the way it is right now and this could change. YMMV
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612
    When I tried HRT, it was because weight loss stalled. I gained 7 pounds quickly on it...FAIL. I was starving. Stopped it, obviously.
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Please note. There's no one size fits all HRT. For many women a progesterone dominant version will make them gain weight very fast. An example of how effective P is for that? A drug given to cancer patients to increase their appetite and make them gain weight is essentially progesterone. Too much estrogen and they could get wired up and the estrogen could interfere with thyroid. Get it titrated just for you and it could feel wonderful.

Or, think of it like a pair of jeans. Many of us try on more than one pair to find the right ones. :tongue:

Don't know if you can see this one? The Estrogen Dilemma http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18estrogen-t.html Worth finding a way through the wall to read.