Looking for book recommendations

Options
Has anyone read any really great books about weight loss?
I'm searching for something that touches on the psychology of why we gain or struggle ( gotta work on that mental fitness as well)
But I'm open to any and all recommendations you guys have for the best ones you've read.
Thanks!

Replies

• 92019start
    92019start Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would like recommendations as well!

Not sure if you’ve read Martha Beck’s books on dieting, but those are good. I also like Gary Taubes.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    not specifically about weight loss - but why we sleep talks about how sleep deprivation plays a role in weight loss and health
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The Lean Muscle Diet (ignore the truly awful title!!) by Alan Aragon for the nutrition aspects and Lou Schuler for the exercise aspect. A very different approach to dieting in that it suggests eating for the weight you want to be rather than adjusting from where you are now, thought provoking and unusual in the way it tackles the problem of maintaining successfully after weight loss rather than being focussed solely on weight loss.

The Chimp Paradox by Prof Steve Peters is a fascinating insight into how the mind works - not diet specific but can certainly be useful for managing the emotional and intellectual challenges of dieting.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Not specific to weightloss, but applicable to many behaviors. The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Not specific to weightloss, but applicable to many behaviors. The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg.

i need to read this one - i've also heard good things about Atomic Habits
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    I did like some aspects of The Beck Solution.

Also love This Is Not A Diet Book from James Smith too.

A lot of info in both I was already aware of from spending many years bouncing around these forums and doing my own research but they are great for those who are just starting to work on a healthier relationship with food and understanding nutrition/weight loss.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read any really great books about weight loss?
    I'm searching for something that touches on the psychology of why we gain or struggle ( gotta work on that mental fitness as well)
    But I'm open to any and all recommendations you guys have for the best ones you've read.
    Thanks!

Do you have a working theory about yourself? That might help narrow the recommendations.
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It's not about weight loss, but more the neuroscience of how/maybe why exercise can improve our mental well being by helping with stress, anxiety, depression, learning etc...and with that exercise often comes weight loss. Spark - The revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John J Ratey and Eric Hagerman. I thought it was really interesting and am trying out exercise to help with mental balance.
  • 92019start
    92019start Posts: 80 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Tiny Habits by BJ Fogg

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I used cognitive/behavioral techniques to change my relationship with alcohol in the 90s and am doing this via tele-health now to work on stress-eating.

Here's the book mentioned above. I was able to download it from my library system.

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)
  • JasmijnRF
    JasmijnRF Posts: 184 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I hear good things about "The *kitten* it diet" written bij Caroline Dooner.

The *kitten* It Diet is not only hilarious, it is scientifically and medically sound. A must read for any chronic dieter.” –Christiane Northrup, MD, New York Times bestselling author of Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom”

From comedian and ex-diet junkie Caroline Dooner, an inspirational guide that will help you stop dieting, reboot your relationship with food, and regain your personal power

DIETING DOESN’T WORK

Not long term. In fact, our bodies are hardwired against it. But each time our diets fail, instead of considering that maybe our ridiculously low-carb diet is the problem, we wonder what’s wrong with us. Why can’t we stick to our simple plan of grapefruit and tuna fish??? Why are we so hungry? What is wrong with us??? We berate ourselves for being lazy and weak, double down on our belief that losing weight is the key to our everlasting happiness, and resolve to do better tomorrow. But it’s time we called a spade a spade: Constantly trying to eat the smallest amount possible is a miserable way to live, and it isn’t even working. So *kitten* eating like that.

In The *kitten* It Diet, Caroline Dooner tackles the inherent flaws of dieting and diet culture, and offers readers a counterintuitively simple path to healing their physical, emotional, and mental relationship with food. What’s the secret anti-diet? Eat. Whatever you want. Honor your appetite and listen to your hunger. Trust that your body knows what it is doing. Oh, and don’t forget to rest, breathe, and be kind to yourself while you’re at it. Once you get yourself out of survival mode, it will become easier and easier to eat what your body really needs—a healthier relationship with food ultimately leads to a healthier you.

An ex-yo-yo dieter herself, Dooner knows how terrifying it can be to break free of the vicious cycle, but with her signature sharp humor and compassion, she shows readers that a sustainable, easy relationship with food is possible.

Irreverent and empowering, The *kitten* It Diet is call to arms for anyone who feels guilt or pain over food, weight, or their body. It’s time to give up the shame and start thriving. Welcome to the *kitten* It Diet. Let’s Eat.

(from Goodreads)